Reinstallation Problem

Guest Amgot

After having experienced crashes while loading some of my savegames, I decided to uninstall BG2 and all the mods I had installed (this also means that I deleted the Black Isle folder from C:\Program Files, just saving a copy of the "save" folder on my desktop).

I reinstalled BG2 and then all the mods I had previously installed. I believe I made some minor changes to the installation order of the mods but not it was not very different from the first time. Yet, when I loaded my savegames, all went well except that many characters in the game have had their name changed. Some are now called "Hey, this also means I want to make money" and that kind of stuff. I went to the docks and Nathaniel (one of the NPCs mods I used) came toward me but instead of engaging conversation, some dialog text appeared in the dialog bow where he was talking to Auren (who's not in my party) and so on. Plus, his name was not Nathaniel but a very long sentence too.

Only mod characters from NPC mods and from mods such as the Quest Pack are concerned. Likewise, some quests from the Quest Pack that I had not yet finished disappeared from my log quest and some weird bits of dialogue were inserted in-between some of the quests listed in the quest log.

To sum up, uninstalling and then reinstalling the game and all the mods messed up something. Do you have any solution for me? If I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it to fix the problem, is there something I should do specifically? Like reinstalling the mods EXACTLY in the same order than I did the first time?

Thanks for your help

PS: I only use WeiDu mods.

Mods would have to be installed again in the exact same order they were installed the first time, yes. If you still have a copy of your weidu.log file from your first install it should list off everything component by component that you'd need to install.

If you don't have this, it may still be possible to fix most of your dialogue errors: most NPC mods will have a string fixer (check the readmes, usually you just have to select the NPCs portrait and press a hotkey). This won't fix up item descriptions, usually, and not all mods have it - but it might reduce the problem to a managable nuisance.

Mods would have to be installed again in the exact same order they were installed the first time, yes. If you still have a copy of your weidu.log file from your first install it should list off everything component by component that you'd need to install.

If you don't have this, it may still be possible to fix most of your dialogue errors: most NPC mods will have a string fixer (check the readmes, usually you just have to select the NPCs portrait and press a hotkey). This won't fix up item descriptions, usually, and not all mods have it - but it might reduce the problem to a managable nuisance.

I'm an orderly guy, so I kept track of all the mods I installed the first time in a notepad file. I'll have to try that.

I reinstalled the whole game and all the mods exactly in the same order than I did the first time.

Unfortunately, the same problem still occurs. It looks to be more specifically linked to the Quest Pack and UB: some of the characters at the Waukeen Promenade and in the docks (haven't checked the other areas) have had their names changed to sentences like "Sanik and Clair were happy to... blabla". And the log quest is messed up with part of dialogues from the Quest Pack and UB between the actual quests (some bits of dialogue from Valygar speaking about Suna Seni, ...). Plus the UB or Quest Pack quests that I hadn't finished have been removed from my log quest (Kalah and what he was promised, Moyia's debt problem, ...). Any idea how to solve that without having to start a new game?

Oh yeah and I also tried the string fixer for Kelsey (who is currently in my party) but that doesn't change anything (Kelsey's dialogs weren't messed up).

I correct what I said earlier. Kelsey was messed up too: his name was "Hello my name is Kelsey, I'm...". I used the string fixer et now he is working all right.

So what I need would be some kind of string fixer for UB and Quest Pack.

One other thing: I had chosen the Knight Templar paladin kit (Warrior Kit Pack) for my PC but now, he is only a paladin. And the armor, gauntlets and helm he wears are now red. If I put them off, I can't wear them again.

Questpack, UB and item mods are a little lot trickier. When you go through an installation, every series of letters, be it a word, sentence, name, etc. is assigned a string reference. The string references, but not the actual words, become a part of your saved game. So string reference #90516 (don't know if that's a legal number, but you get the idea) is associated with, say, my mod NPC Gavin's name. If I install the mods in a different order, the string references no longer match, so Gavin's name may show up as something else entirely, but it will almost certainly not be "Gavin." The string fixer packaged with some mods re-associates the correct strings with the corect words for *that* mod.

The problem with quest and item mods is that there are a *lot* more mods, but no string fixers.

If you are recovering from a post-scramble save, the fixable strings, like journal entries, are still going to be scrambled.

Your pre-scramble save, however, *should* show up just fine.

Archived