Enhancement suggestions for DR v6

Miloch

The use of scimitars is a hold over from early 2nd edition PnP where they didn't bother with having weapon stats for everything. Scimitars were meant to stand in for the ceremonial sickles used by druids in their ceremonies, and were the only metal weapons allowed to them.

For the druids maybe, but the beastmasters can *use* scimitars but cannot place *any* proficiency on it :)(just noticed that as my beastmaster levelled up) So I guess one of these must be a bug

A)They should not be able to use them

or

B)They should be able to place proficiency on it.

The big thing I wanted to focus on for v6 was new spells.

w00t! I love the kits too, and I want more and more so it's even harder to decide, but spells are good to. And on that note, I have an idea:

Air Elemental Transformation

I don't know why bioware hates the air elementals so much, you can transform into Earth and Fire, why not Air? That's really it for now, anyway, can't wait for v6!

EDIT: Something else I was just wondering about, will all clerics get a specific HLA spell from their god (as Shar, Tempus and Kossuth give) eventually?, because that'd be pretty cool.

SK

I found [this thread] back from the good ole days of this mod, and discovered that there's are treants available in Big Picture!! (see last post) If I understand the spell, the Treant Elder is capable of summoning "lesser" treants. Yay!

My request goes like this:

-- I'ld like an option to have Druids summon treants, similar to elementals.

-- Because the treants are not resistant to magic weapons (or are they?), have Druids able to summon them maybe one spell level earlier that of the elementals. Or push elemental summonings higher up the spellbook.

-- Have three possible summonings: Treant, Treant Chieftain, Treant Elder

-- get rid of Gate as an option for Druids

This is not a "for BP install only" option. I'm sure horred and seanas would allow this material to be used in DR.

I'll be back to add another request: adding aVENGER's Shanmbling Mounds

I'm sure horred and seanas would allow this material to be used in DR.
If you could get permission from whoever's responsible now, that'd be the first step. Dunno if it'll make it in the next release, but it'd be a great enhancement, and I'm willing to look at any code conversion that'd be necessary.
He already gave this permission here.

Yup, feel free to use the Shamblers from RR. :)

BTW, it would be great if you could work together with Galactygon and implement some of the IWD1 priest spells from his Spell Pack. It would also be great if you could use the actual IWD1 graphics and sounds for the imported spells as he already does. For example, Sunscorch looks much nicer with the original IWD1 animation.

For now, v6 is just going to be quick-and-dirty bugfixes. I'll need the return of Andy, Dave, or Nick to really knock out some content enhancements. :)
I understand you all are the original authors, but if someone wanted to code up some enhancements in line with PnP and the mod's goals, what's to stop you from adding them? You can always run it by the other authors for approval, or they can always veto it later (and especially if they're optional components, it's kind of moot).
Perhaps a "Request that this gift-wrapped content be added to mod" thread?

Hehe!

I do appreciate the feedback, and there are loads of good suggestions which I do want to incorporate--just not in this release, which I was hoping to pound out quickly so I could get back to other projects.

I found [this thread] back from the good ole days of this mod, and discovered that there's are treants available in Big Picture!! (see last post) If I understand the spell, the Treant Elder is capable of summoning "lesser" treants. Yay!

My request goes like this:

-- I'ld like an option to have Druids summon treants, similar to elementals.

-- Because the treants are not resistant to magic weapons (or are they?), have Druids able to summon them maybe one spell level earlier that of the elementals. Or push elemental summonings higher up the spellbook.

-- Have three possible summonings: Treant, Treant Chieftain, Treant Elder

-- get rid of Gate as an option for Druids

This is not a "for BP install only" option. I'm sure horred and seanas would allow this material to be used in DR.

Ok, well I went through BP and got all the code to the Animate Tree spell, including the IWD treant animations and so on. I did PM horred and seanas, and haven't heard back yet, but the consensus seems to be that BP and some (if not all) of its included mods are essentially abandonware. The treant stuff came from IWD anyhow, and I think whoever adapted it predated horred and seanas' involvement. Anyhow I've asked, and I've also asked Galactygon for permission to use his Bestial Animations and SpellPack and he said yes. He uses the same IWD treant animations and the spells have cooler animations I'll try implementing for the equivalent DR spells. So, bases are covered, as far as I'm concerned.

So, let's get down to brass tacks on how to implement this. Treants have an MR of nil, as you say. BP implements Animate Tree as an L7 druid spell. Conjure Fire Elemental is L6 and Conjure Earth Elemental is L7. Fire elementals are way more powerful than earth as to make it a stupid easy spell... DR might even correct this, or perhaps Tweaks - haven't investigated in great detail yet. But are you suggesting Animate Tree should then be an L5 spell? And then as you go up in levels, would you automatically summon higher level treants (chieftains, elders)? This can be done I think, but it will take some serious analysis of the existing spells and modding of the BP version.

As for the shamblers, I pinched that code too. But we will have to implement it as a proper spell (aVENGER does it as an item effect on a shield). So, I guess, the same questions there. You can summon a lesser shambler, shambling mound (as per core BG2) or greater shambler. So at which level should that be implemented?

Thanks for the due diligence. I would have pursued that, but wasn't sure when DR development was going to get started.

You're not going to hear from either one, at least not thru PM, as they have ascended to a higher plane of gamer existence. There are caretakers of BP who can give a nod/shake to borrowing components from it.

Despite what the "consensus" says (some would use the phrase "mob"), BP is not abandonware. You may as well say that aPack was abandonware. As long as source acknowledgment is given, components can be borrowed from BP.

Let's save debate about abandonware to another thread.

It is time to talk about...Ents.

People out there have their hands on various Monster Handbook versions, so getting treants' stats right shouldn't be too hard.

Personally, I see treants as really intelligent creature summons, but much less powerful than elementals, thus I would place their summoning spells lower down the spellbook levels than elementals. Poor Druids don't get much love, even in DR, so every little bit helps.

I totally agree with you that elemental summonings need re-ordering. Does anyone even call an Air Elemental other than to use up the free scrolls? And why not any Water Elementals?

Animate Tree I, II, III -- Treant, Treant Chieftain, Treant Elder.

I think the Chieftain and Elder can summon lower-level ents. Idea: they would call other ents based on a threat-assessment of the number of enemies in the area.

As for Druids, I think they should get to summon elemental princes as a 9th level spell, instead of summoning a demon that they can not control. Do they get this ability thru HLA, or am I mismatching mods?

Archived