Area Files Discussion

Wounded_Lion

In general, my current practice is to overwrite a file if I am changing it in such a way that other modders' changes to that same file would almost surely conflict with my own. I patch a file if multiple modders should be able to make additions and changes without conflict.

So... Let's say I want to edit a certain small area to restructure a particular quest. The area is used soley for this specific quest. Few (if any) mods add anything to this area. If I were to patch/append the revised quest to the area, dialogue, and script files, any existing mod additions (creatures, interjections, etc) would likely not 'mesh' (they wouldn't make sense because the quest is in some ways different now). So I should overwrite the area, dialogue, and script files, right?

I welcome your thoughts and advice. I am undecided as to which way to proceed... So... you have a chance to sway me to good or evil here. :)

- D

EDIT: Grammar

Well, if the area is so restricted as you describe, then it would be simpler to just overwrite the things, as you reason. I always find it neater to patch things for that slightest possibility that two mods might 'mesh' together. You might restructure the quest, but someone else could change the reward, maybe...

Well, if the area is so restricted as you describe, then it would be simpler to just overwrite the things, as you reason. I always find it neater to patch things for that slightest possibility that two mods might 'mesh' together. You might restructure the quest, but someone else could change the reward, maybe...

Hmm... Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I prefer patching in most circumstances, too. However, this particular case is tricky. I don't want to give too many details away before the quest is released, so I can't be more specific. Maybe I'll code it up to overwrite (the easy way) and release it. Then, if other modders look at it and say "this should be done via patching", I'll code it up the other (somewhat more difficult) way; patching.

Of course, overwriting won't solve compatibility problems resulting from mods installed after this mod... <sighs> I'm not sure what to do... I think I'll just start coding and see what happens... hehe.

- D

Please use patching whenever possible.

2 reasons:

- Other mods may introduce small but useful changes to the file, like setting a flag, adding new items to containers, etc.; those changes won't necesarily conflict with your major changes to this area.

- It's much easier (for me, at least) to see what changes mod does by reading TP2 code; otherwise, I'll have to start NI, open original file, open your file, place two windows together, compare them field by field... You get what I mean? :)

2 reasons:

- Other mods may introduce small but useful changes to the file, like setting a flag, adding new items to containers, etc.; those changes won't necesarily conflict with your major changes to this area.

- It's much easier (for me, at least) to see what changes mod does by reading TP2 code; otherwise, I'll have to start NI, open original file, open your file, place two windows together, compare them field by field... You get what I mean? :)

And an easy third: patch-writing makes your code modular in the sense that it can be applied multiple times in multiple situations. This has clear maintenance benefits and time-saving advantages, the best example of which would be the Fixpack. The initial outlay of time to write patches--as opposed to file overwrites--was slower (say, through the first three alphas or so), but after that initial period it's now trivial to add new or modify existing fixes by borrowing code from elsewhere.

For the online crowd, I'd say patch as much as possible, but also do rigorous checking to make sure what you're patching actually needs to be patched. People install mods in all sorts of various orders, so you can never be sure what the install base for your mod will be like. In other words, don't assume anything about what you're patching.

Thanks, all! I think that I'll take a split approach with this particular mod component. Most changes will be implemented via patching. However, I think that a small number of changes must be performed via overwriting. Things have cleared up immensely since I started coding the component... I knew that'd help! :)

- D

Thanks, all! I think that I'll take a split approach with this particular mod component. Most changes will be implemented via patching. However, I think that a small number of changes must be performed via overwriting. Things have cleared up immensely since I started coding the component... I knew that'd help! :)

- D

If you do have any troubles getting WeiDU to patch your things correctly, please do ask about.

Archived