arcane casting in armor not activated?

Wanderer

I'm trying my first mega-modded BG2 game, and of course the question of install order always seems to come up in my posts, but I don't know what other issues might be involved. Right away in ID, Jaheira and Imoen (and my mage npc) aren't allowed to wear certain types of armor. At first Imoen had to take off her leather armor to cast anything. Last I checked, she did have the option to cast once it was back on; but Jaheira still can't wear chain mail or a buckler, and [char] can't use any armor.

The only mods installed after BG2 Tweaks are ding0tweaks, Virtue, Refinements (universal lesser mage robes only), and BiggTweaks. Also, Imoen's thief skills have worked fine with the optional thieving in armor component.

My understanding is that "allow casting in heavy armor" allows arcane spellcasting for mage multi- and dual-classed characters. If I've put armor in a single-class mage's inventory, it's red.

I believe that Jaheira is still limited to whatever armor is allowed to fighter-druids.

Exactly. This component doesn't allow characters to wear types of armour that they normally can't wear at all; it only affects armour that can be worn even in the unmodded game but which normally disables arcane (bard, mage and sorcerer) spellcasting.

This means that unless you also use the Allow Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor component, a mage/thief will still be limited to leather, studded leather, and hide armour. Armour restrictions for non-stealth classes (including mages and fighter/druids) aren't changed at all by any components of this mod.

There's one other factor here as well--unlike most of the tweaks, there's no way to determine armor type on the fly so the list of armor altered by this component has to be edited and kept up to date manually. If you do find armor or shields not affected by the arcane casting or thieving skills tweaks, please let me know so I can add coverage for it in future versions.

Ah, I understand. The last game I played through with that tweak (in TuTu) was with a ranger, and the mage I ended up with in the party was a fighter/mage. This time I did have to take Imoen's armor off for her to cast spells the first time in BG2, but after that it seemed to work fine.

Thanks, and I'll keep looking out for anything unusual, given these limits.

Archived