Gavin's progress

berelinde

I may do that for SoA, but then again, I may not. Everybody has a quirk, and Gavin's quirky enough, what with the spider thing and all. It would be one thing if player character clerics who took the kit got special bonuses against vamps, but I can't justify Gavin getting one if <CHARNAME> doesn't.

But he can still hate undead without getting bonuses to hit them.

I've been in the habit of posting progress reports on Sundays, but this week, there's no point: the progress Sunday will be the same as progress today.

Alpha testing has revealed a couple bugs in the romance portion, related to a variable I forgot to close, so this weekend brings another round of alpha testing.

If it goes well, Gavin will be out of alpha sometime next week.

Couple of things:

Excellent mod! I didn't even realize it was available for download until a few days ago, and I've more or less played nothing since then. It's very well done!

I did notice a couple of mispellings, around mid-romance. Very small things, like 'from' that was 'form'. I just wanted to give you a heads up, in case you didn't know.

Good catch on the spelling stuff, and I'll look through it, but without context, I'm going to have a hard time finding them.

Most of that is probalby sloppy typing on my part. ???

Anyway, if you downloaded that with the intent of playing it, you might want to hold off a couple days, as I expect to have the beta ready soon. Just one last timing issue to work through.

Well, I did run into a *small* problem (I received the messenger for the third temple quest, but when I arrived there I already had the wyvern head in my pack, so the priest just took it and thanked me instead of talking to Gavin. Which meant, unfortunately, that Gavin assumed I was being a rude little Bhaalspawn and not returning to the temple like he asked me to, so he left me). The good news is that I get to play the mod again ??? so I'll wait until the beta's been released. If I notice any spelling errors, do you want me to jot down the conversation and then let you know?

Thanks, much! That kind of help is crucial, because you won't be the last person to have a wyvern head in your pack. That sounds odd...

Just need to check a couple things before the beta, but it has to wait until tomorrow: getting late here.

Developing the character took 28 years. That's how long he was a PnP character, so that's how long his personality was in the making.

I wrote the first joining dialogue in September 2006, so it's been nearly 5 months. I had never coded anything, but I had been doing a lot of proofreading and a bit of light translation work for another mod, so I'd at least seen code before.

Gavin is available for download, but I would recommend waiting a bit longer. I've got the beta nearly ready. I just need to test one timer and correct two typos. I hope to have it done by this evening (which will be tomorrow, your time).

28 years of development... ZOINKS!

Fiars is actually a character from a couple of stories of mine, I guess about 3-4 years old in all. His original name was Nucub, but then again, Fiars is never going to become a king... So I don't want to use the same name. And I'm changing his personality a bit, but they are still alike.

So, where can Gavin be downloaded? Oh, found him, sorry.

Archived