Request for Mac/Linux version

the bigg

As per title, I'd really like a Linux (or at least Mac, I'm not picky) version of Amber. The reason why I can't simply make it myself is that the current Windows version uses the wav2acm program, for which there is no equivalent (at least on Linux).

To workaround the issue, you can distribute the music files directly as ACM, rather than in OGG format (while still distributing the files that will end up as WAV in the OGG format). This would increment the download size, but unfortunately there is no other way to port this mod to Mac and Linux.

There is a tutorial on how to convert the rest of the mod to Macintosh format which should be easy enough to peruse.

If somebody can confirm that missing ACM files won't cause crashes in-game, then I suppose I can play the mod without the music.

I converted Amber to Mac for my own use around the time the current version was released, using snd2acm (included in Steve's Install-tools) to convert the music files. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Linux version of that program somewhere. I guess the reason an 'official' Mac version of the mod hasn't been released is that a direct conversion of v2.1 will result in some CTD issues on the OS X platform. (Though I think this will be fixed in the next version?)

I converted Amber to Mac for my own use around the time the current version was released, using snd2acm (included in Steve's Install-tools) to convert the music files. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Linux version of that program somewhere. I guess the reason an 'official' Mac version of the mod hasn't been released is that a direct conversion of v2.1 will result in some CTD issues on the OS X platform. (Though I think this will be fixed in the next version?)

I'm pretty sure that there's no snd2acm for Linux. The standalone snd2acm doesn't come with source code, while the version in DLTCEP uses Windows-only functions. Perhaps it'll work with wine, or perhaps not. I've just finished converting the scripts for all other mods from \(Windows\|OSX\) to Linux, tomorrow I'll just try doing "wine snd2acm.exe" and see if it works. Otherwise, I'll formally require Meira to provide the compiled ACM files along with the mod :)

EDIT: duh, it appears that "wine snd2acm.exe" works fine, so the Linux version should work (it's quite slow, but at least it works :)

As per title, I'd really like a Linux (or at least Mac, I'm not picky) version of Amber. The reason why I can't simply make it myself is that the current Windows version uses the wav2acm program, for which there is no equivalent (at least on Linux).

To workaround the issue, you can distribute the music files directly as ACM, rather than in OGG format (while still distributing the files that will end up as WAV in the OGG format). This would increment the download size, but unfortunately there is no other way to port this mod to Mac and Linux.

There is a tutorial on how to convert the rest of the mod to Macintosh format which should be easy enough to peruse.

If somebody can confirm that missing ACM files won't cause crashes in-game, then I suppose I can play the mod without the music.

Missing acm files should not crash the game, as far as I know only missing ambient do. Anyhow, I was planning to include the acm files unconverted in the mac version. The mac download will be about 5 MB larger because of that, but since we are talking about 30 MB download anyway that won't make much difference.

I did take a look at the tutorial a while back, but it only made my head hurt. :) I can barely cope with the windows .bat commands and making the mac equivalent of that seemed overwhelming. I had (and still have) a very strong intention to go back to the tutorial and try again (or make Darios do it).

If there is (or will be) comprehensive easy enough tutorial for making a linux version I don't see any reason not to do that as well, but I think mac version is a priority.

Missing acm files should not crash the game, as far as I know only missing ambient do. Anyhow, I was planning to include the acm files unconverted in the mac version. The mac download will be about 5 MB larger because of that, but since we are talking about 30 MB download anyway that won't make much difference.

I did take a look at the tutorial a while back, but it only made my head hurt. :) I can barely cope with the windows .bat commands and making the mac equivalent of that seemed overwhelming. I had (and still have) a very strong intention to go back to the tutorial and try again (or make Darios do it).

If there is (or will be) comprehensive easy enough tutorial for making a linux version I don't see any reason not to do that as well, but I think mac version is a priority.

Like I implied in my previous post, I have a full Mac version of Amber v2.1 lying around, including OS X shell scripts to convert ogg to wav to acm - I could send it your way if you'd like. :)

I have successfully installed Amber (and a bunch of other mods) without apparent problems on my Linux computer (only 'problem', snd2acm was slow on Linux/NTFS/Wine, but that's a minor point). I might as well start sending the Linux version of the mods to the various modders :)

Like I implied in my previous post, I have a full Mac version of Amber v2.1 lying around, including OS X shell scripts to convert ogg to wav to acm - I could send it your way if you'd like. :)

Ooops, for so reason I only read the first post in this thread, sorry.

I think my mailbox will explode if you send it there, and I'm little short on other file receiving methods; save the good old download, if you can upload it somewhere. Maybe you could drop it straight to Cam?

I'd still need to update the readme to include mac install instructions (which I probably can rip from some other mod for mac) and a credit you as the creator of the mac version.

I think my mailbox will explode if you send it there, and I'm little short on other file receiving methods; save the good old download, if you can upload it somewhere. Maybe you could drop it straight to Cam?

I'd still need to update the readme to include mac install instructions (which I probably can rip from some other mod for mac) and a credit you as the creator of the mac version.

I'll use Yousendit or a similar uploader and PM you the link with a cc for Cam when it's up - note that I packaged it before the AreaCheckObject() issues came to light, so I figure those should be changed before it goes out.

I'll use Yousendit or a similar uploader and PM you the link with a cc for Cam when it's up - note that I packaged it before the AreaCheckObject() issues came to light, so I figure those should be changed before it goes out.

Thanks!

Archived