NWN 2 has arrived...

Andyr

Enjoy your present BevH. :D I'm in the middle of playing it now and it's a pretty good game so far.

I didn't see any bugs either pre-patch, but if you patch the game, you should find it less of a resource pig, or at least it'll run smoother.

I never had critical (crasher) bugs, but I did see a host of glitches throughout the game. Just because someone else doesn't "see" any bugs doesn't mean they're not there. That person's play style and choices just happened to allow them to miss/bypass glitches. (Yay for them.) Many of the bugs that Obsidian has patched so far apply to things I never tried in my two play-throughs, and some things did apply. Also I have a background in programming so I'm always looking for glitches when I play a game, as a force of habit.

As posted on Bioware's forums, patch 1.04 for NWN2 is currently in development. More bugs will be fixed, performance should improve a bit more, and the user interface will be enhanced in a number of places. More info here, with the gist of the original post quoted below. Note this is from December 18th so there are probably several changes/additions by now.

Version 1.04

New Features

General

• Voice Menu

---Users can now press the Voice Menu key (‘V’ by default) to activate a menu from which they can quickly access frequently used voice commands and emotes. Users can drag these to the hotbar, as well.

• Added support for bindable keys to change the hotbar page.

• You can now drag and drop buttons from the Mode Bar and Quick Cast Menu onto the Hotbar. This will also work for Spontaneously Converted spells.

• Players now have the option to turn on a second horizontal hotbar and 2 vertical hotbars.

• Users can now select in the options menu whether or not they want left click and hold in Driving Camera to move the character or mouselook.

• All combat modes can now be triggered instantly, except for Parry, Rapid Shot, and Flurry of Blows, which are deferred until the beginning of the next round.

---Your pending combat modes are now displayed on the action queue UI, with a countdown ticker, tooltip, and mouse click support.

---You can now toggle of and off a pending combat mode.

---Combat modes are no longer turned off for party members at the end of their combat round.

• Trees throughout the game should look better as many of the tree textures and models have been revamped to be more visually appealing.

• Localized versions of the NWN1 sounds used in the game have been added to their respective languages.

• Several new loading screen tips have been added to v1.04.

DM Client

• DMs can now drag items from the creator menu to the hotbar.

• DMs can now jump directly to an area.

• DMs can now add and subtract experience points, gold and levels.

Scripting

• EffectDamage() – A flag has been added to the EffectDamage()function which allows you to skip Damage Immunity, Damage Reduction, and Damage Resistance. The default for this flag is FALSE, so existing scripts will continue to work the same.

Toolset

• A comment field has been added to the Journal Editor.

• More robust undo/redo support has been added to the Conversation and Journal editors.

Bug Fixes

General

• The Mode Bar and Mini-map will now properly retain their hidden or revealed state after area transitions.

• Improvements have been made which reduce load times in some situations.

• The game will no longer crash when attempting to buy when on a blank page.

• The game’s transition to Act 2 would very rarely fail to occur. This has been made more reliable.

DM Client

• DMs will no longer automatically run lore checks on acquired items.

• Feedback has been added for several DM abilities.

• DMs can now spawn items into containers.

• The DM Client should no longer crash on transition to large exterior areas.

Effects/Spells

• Wildshape and Elemental Shape are no longer dispellable.

• Balagar’s Iron Horn radius reduced from 30 feet to 20 feet.

• Greater Fireburst will now do the correct amount of damage.

• Monks will no longer get their class AC Bonus while wearing armor or using a shield.

• Improved Reaction will now properly calculate uses per day.

• Manyshot will now function as described.

• Characters with crossbows can now use Rapid Shot if they have Rapid Reload.

Items

• The game will no longer crash if you drag an item from a magic bag onto the magic bag which contains it.

Toolset

• TRX files are now renamed when renaming their associated area.

I also believe the Server.exe has been made much more reliable and the DM transitioning to some areas no longer crashes the server.

*sigh* well, installed the game, patched it, and proceeded to fire it up... only it says I don't have a compatible 3D driver... :):hm::p So I go out to Intel's site, update my video card, proceed to fire it up again and... no compatible 3D drive... :):p:p

*sigh* well, installed the game, patched it, and proceeded to fire it up... only it says I don't have a compatible 3D driver... :):p:p So I go out to Intel's site, update my video card, proceed to fire it up again and... no compatible 3D drive... :p:):hm:

BevH,

Look on the brightside. You still have a videocard. After installing, NWN2 my videocard went belly-up. A couple of hundred dollars later and I was back in business but...

I'm starting to look for it in the used stores :) I've heard one nasty thing though:

SPOILER

There is just 1 female romance (and a paladin at that), and that despite Obsidian's widely advertised "influence" system, andother 'half'-romanceable female PC option betrays you no matter what (and he is a ranger!). WTF, why even *have* an influence system if you can't affect the well, *important* character?

Well, the key of my complaint (appart from usual female PC got no choice) is *influence* system. Why have it if you can't change things? It's more interesting than romancing a paladin. I've played a paladin romance already.

Actually, the female PC has something more of a choice than the male one, since Bishop is the only one who will stand aside at the grand finale. All the males get is Elanee, which compares to a less interesting version of Jaheira (let's see, nosy - check, mothering - check, witty - nope). But yeah, the romances are sort of a letdown (read: I had expected more than a few hints and a "Let's sleep together" dialogue).

That's not to say the influence system does nothing at all. With enough influence, Bishop walks away from the final fight, else he betrays you. Neeshka, Sand, and Qara likewise require influence checks; the latter two even seem to have comparative ones. Qara has up till now always betrayed me, saying it was mostly because of Sand staying. I've heard the reverse happening as well, though it hasn't happened to me yet.

I was disappointed in the way the romances concluded in NWN, so I suppose it should be no surprise that the romances in NWN2 fair no better. Good news for me! After discussing with my husband the fact that neither one of us thought to check system requirements before buying the game, he's stopping by Best Buy tonight after work and getting me a new video card! :)

SPOILER

From what I read there is just one romance that goes all the way, per PC gender.

No surprise that the romances suck, Obsidian did them after all. The, so called, romances in Kotor 2 didn't really happen and were just alluded to by other characters. The female PC option was bad, as usual, and the npc I really wanted to romance I couldn't. (I know a lot was apparently cut but considering the feedback on the romances for NWN2, perhaps Obsidian just don't know what they are doing.)

Sorry for the rant, but badly done romances are my pet, soapbox peeve. I also felt really, really disappointed with Kotor 2 and although I initially liked the influence system, I grew to dislike it as the game progressed. I hope they did a better, clearer job of it with NWN2.

Archived