Amber doesn't join + stutter

Guest that_guy

Guest that_guy

Hey guys,

Just downloaded Amber, looks cool but I have a bit of a problem. When I go to the prison to free her, I can't get her to join ("Amber has nothing to say to you"), walks toward me but stops. Sometimes Max will disappear without opening her cell. On the one occasion I got her to join I got the funky stutter bug (looks like she wants to say something but doesn't, doesn't move to where I'm clicking). I've checked through this forum and one on SHS, messed around with bcs files and things, but to no avail. Is there any advice you could give me to get around these problems? I have the following mods installed:

- Ease of use

- Tactics

- Underrepresented items

- NPC flirt pack

- DBG

- Rogur rebalancing mod

- Yasraena

- Kelsey

- Auramaster kit

- Riskbreaker kit

- Amber

- Improved anvil

Yes, if you don't have the official ToB patch that is a very likely cause for 'has nothing to say to you'-issues.

If you do have the patch, then I'm clueless. The prison scene and Amber's joining dialogue should work perfectly well.

I was (and might still be) having a similar stutter problem with Gavin. Not saying it's exactly the same! You guys are *way, way, way* better at this than I am. But I've narrowed it down to a friendship variable not being set properly by a baf. I need to move it.

Since there are more than your average number of variables set on joining (romance, friendship, player 2 eligibility), is it possible that is causing a delay. I already know that the processor can handle far more than we throw at it, but if two things are supposed to happen at the same time, one happening before the other might cause trouble.

Yeah, but the thing is that this scene has worked perfectly hundreds of times for different users. If that_guy has Tob patch it might be worthwhile to check out his savegame in order to see that the variables are all what they should be, though. There was one incident earlier when some other mod jammed the baldur.bcs, by adding a looping script block to it. When Amber's script blocks were added to the end of that file the script never got to them because of the loop above them. I've moved Amber's script blocks up in recent versions and the symptoms of that issue were different from those described here.

Guest that_guy

Hey guys,

I do indeed have the TOB patch, so no probs there. Do you think the G3 tweak pack might be worth a look? My EoU is probably quite old as well... The other problem I had was that on the occasion that Amber did join me, I found that I could not kick her out of the party. When I did so, nothing happened. In fact I could still talk to her and ask her how she was doing etc. Any ideas on that one? Could they be related?

Can you then send a copy of your savegame along with copy of the weidu.log file (located in the main bg2 folder) to <amber@welho.net>? Do you have any non-weidu mods installed and which version of Amber do you have?

I have a bad feeling about this.

The mac chokes when the AreaCheckObject() when it 's untrue, so I changed that to InActiveArea() in all cases. Those two take slightly different parameters, so it's possible that I have screwed up the script block that we add to area 1000 (the government) when I edited it to work with InActiveArea(). All other occurrences of AreaCheckObject() were on the new areas and I only tested those after changing the triggers.

Yes, the problem in v 2.2 was caused by changing all the instances of AreaCheckObject() to InActiveArea(). The reason for that was to ensure that the scripts of the new areas in the mod would not cause the game to crash in Mac OSX. I tested the new areas and they worked just fine, so it did not occur to me that I simultaneously broke the script block that Amber adds to the Government district (ar1000), containing the only instance of AreaCheckObject() outside the new areas.

Archived