NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Poll: Which weapon would be your first choice for a Skald?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm gearing up to develop a Skald NPC for BGtutu. Some people say Skalds are useless because of the Improved Bard Song HLA, but you won't get that one until late SoA. Let's review what the Skald can do....

Advantages:

Gets +1 to hit and damage with all weapons.

The Skald's song is different from the typical bard and varies with level:

1st: Gives allies +2 to hit, +2 to damage and -2 to AC.

15th: Gives allies +4 to hit, +4 to damage, -4 to AC, and immunity to fear.

20th: Gives allies +4 to hit, +4 to damage, -4 to AC, and immunity to fear, stun and confusion.

Disadvantages: Pick Pockets ability one-quarter normal.

Eirik originally hails from the Moonshae Isles. The favored weapon(s) for this region are the axe (hand, battle, etc.) and bow. Given a choice, what weapon would you like him initially to be proficient in?

More on his bio later... :)

My first instinct was to say throwing axe, but I vetoed that. I don't know if said skjald is the kind of guy that thinks throwing stuff is fun. He's a little more grave, and a little more romantic, for lack of a better word.

My brain makes the association between thrown weapons and disinterest. "I'm going to stand over here, out of the reach of your sword, and throw things at you because I can't be bothered to walk over there to bash you with my axe."

Culturally, I know I'm wrong. This is some strange connection my brain made, and it has absolutely no psychological basis.

A longsword, like the Hastings sword (laminated steel in medieval Europe!), with its wide blade and its gradual, graceful taper and signficant pommel to balance it all, is a truly heroic weapon, and altogether appropriate for a reluctantly warlike skjald. It is an epic weapon. Fighting with one is also an intimate encounter. This is no pole arm!

There you are, with this heavy piece of steel in your hand, and your opponent is no further away than the reach of your arm, close enough to dance. Impossible to ignore.

But a longsword is no weapon of concealment. There is no element of trickery, here, no dagger sliding between the ribs of an unwary opponent. A sword is a sword.

But this is just my opinion.

On a technical note: most longswords were actually rather blunt. They were designed to part chainmail, so they needed a wedge shape to separate the rings, but they needed to be strong enough to transfer the weight of the sword and the force of the blow to an opponent. A razor edge would never hold up.

Edit: don't forget to vote, yourself!

My reasons are more utilitarian: If you plan to use his bard song most of the time, then you're most likely to keep him out of melee; in which case you might want a ranged weapon. If you're going to use him as a secondary fighter, then you'd probably want a melee weapon.

When I played him as my PC, I equipped him with a bastard sword using it as a two-handed weapon (bards can't use shields btw). [Edit:]BG2 Tweak Pack allows you to use bastard swords in this manner, but it would not spawn the 2-handed version on a Mac properly (I had to manually spawn it using the console). I decided not to do this with the NPC.

This survey will help me select the appropriate weapon, depending on how he will be played [Edit:] most of the time.

I expect most players equip non-meleeing bards with a bow. If you do that, depends on his Str whether he can handle a composite longbow.

The throwing axe would add an interesting variation, but because those things are heavy I'd only select that weapon that if he has very high Str.

Long sword or bastard sword and shield might work out okay if he casts a few buffs.

Spear has potential, actually, since like a quarterstaff the greater distance from the enemy reduces the risk to him (but then he has no shield either).

Those would be my choices. Since I like for my mages and bards to live dangerously I'd opt for a sword and shield combo. (I selected long sword in the poll.) But otherwise I'd go with the bow (unless he's strong as an ox, and can enough to carry around a good supply of throwing axes).

First: I like the idea of a Skald NPC.

Second: I voted for Battle Axe (it strikes me as appropriate).

Third: Does using the Bard song prevent the Bard from engaging in melee combat? I never use bards so I don't know... I've always envisioned the Skald as a gleeful warrior that sings songs of battle as he hacks away at this enemies with his mighty war axe... but then again, I am psychotic. :)

- D

You don't need to use a shield. There's always the "weapon styles for all" feature of Tweaks and "single-weapon" proficiency. I always interpret that to mean <CHARNAME> uses both hands to best effect, whatever that might be.

Eagerly awaiting more news of my favorite skjald :)

In addition to the comments I posted above, have you considered giving your NPC the ability to gain three proficiency points in Two Weapon Style? This could be easily implemented via a custom Skald kit (not available to the PC). Most NPCs have at least one special trait or spell. This might be a good choice for Eirik. Who needs a shield when you're dual-wielding axes? :)

- D

First: I like the idea of a Skald NPC.

Second: I voted for Battle Axe (it strikes me as appropriate).

Third: Does using the Bard song prevent the Bard from engaging in melee combat? I never use bards so I don't know... I've always envisioned the Skald as a gleeful warrior that sings songs of battle as he hacks away at this enemies with his mighty war axe... but then again, I am psychotic. :)

- D

First: I do too :)

Second: For the strong type I would agree.

Third: As soon as you give the bard any action other than movement, the bard song will quit. I always initiate the bard song before joining battle. That gives the party an attack/defense bonus on their first round of battle. You'd be surprised at how effective this is.

In addition to the comments I posted above, have you considered giving your NPC the ability to gain three proficiency points in Two Weapon Style? This could be easily implemented via a custom Skald kit (not available to the PC). Most NPCs have at least one special trait or spell. This might be a good choice for Eirik. Who needs a shield when you're dual-wielding axes? :)

- D

That's an awesome idea! I would need help if I decided to take that path, would you be able to help?

That's an awesome idea! I would need help if I decided to take that path, would you be able to help?

Of course I would. Kits are my specialty. And kits are easy to create. Give me a few days (I don't have a great deal of time this week), and I'll send you a Skald kit that can place three points in Two Weapon and can't be chosen by the player.

- D

Of course I would. Kits are my specialty. And kits are easy to create. Give me a few days (I don't have a great deal of time this week), and I'll send you a Skald kit that can place three points in Two Weapon and can't be chosen by the player.

- D

Oh, no hurry. It will be awhile yet before he's ready for testing. Now if only there was a way to add this to the poll...

I expect most players equip non-meleeing bards with a bow. If you do that, depends on his Str whether he can handle a composite longbow.

<snip>

After Charisma, which modifies and augments many of the warrior skald's special abilities, Strength is the character's most appropriate choice for ability increases.

I always play Scalds myself (when I play bards), and one of my favorite and most developped ones was Helg, and he was all about bastard swords and hammers. When he was not drinking himself to death 'cause of his heritage. Yep, a cool character. :)

Archived