NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Poll: Which weapon would be your first choice for a Skald?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always play Scalds myself (when I play bards), and one of my favorite and most developped ones was Helg, and he was all about bastard swords and hammers. When he was not drinking himself to death 'cause of his heritage. Yep, a cool character. ;)

'course his belch could be considered a weapon too I suppose! :)

[Edit:] What am I saying; sorry, lost my head -- won't happen again. :)

I voted for composite bow, assuming his strength is high enough (otherwise long bow). I typically use bards in the back ranks with missile/magic combos, since they can't really wear heavy armor to tank effectively. Though if the skald also had high enough dex and mithril/bardic chain or the like, you could argue against this. But then he's too busy bashing to cast, sing, shoot, etc. And how does a skald chronicle a battle if he gets killed in it? :) He might have at least basic proficiency in a melee weapon - sword or axe is cool. Though it's also hard to overlook the skull-crunching power of a morning star.

If you look at Celtic bards and Norse skalds in tradition, they tended to stay in the back ranks anyhow, to embolden the warriors in the front ranks and scare the enemy. Some say there is nothing more frightening than the sound of a Highland battle-piper :). Norse skalds tended to be more poets of royalty than battle musician/singers, but some had reputations of magical abilities. Not usually good reputations either, as magic was generally distrusted.

I liked the idea of the old Bard's Tale games, where the protagonist was able to specialize in and/or find certain instruments. They also capitalized on this in the recent remake, giving the bard a sarcastic personality (voiced by Cary Elwes) and the ability to summon various creatures with bardsong.

Regarding shields, can't bards use bucklers? I thought there was one at the Song & Silence vendor Raoul but I can't recall offhand.

Third: As soon as you give the bard any action other than movement, the bard song will quit. I always initiate the bard song before joining battle. That gives the party an attack/defense bonus on their first round of battle. You'd be surprised at how effective this is.

I finished the game with Haer Dalis' (sp?) in my party. I had him using darts (Crimson Dart +3 towards endgame) and running eMage, which makes use of the Bard Song by running it pretty much all the time.

I think he only ended up with ~35 kills by the end of the game, but he would occasionally break out of the bard song (as intended) and attack if the opportunity presented itself.

So, with the right script, you might be able to get some decent mileage out of combat skills as well as bardsong usage...especially now that Nythrun has actually fixed the bard song so it works as advertised (upcoming addition to the BG2 Fixpack).

Oh, I vote for longsword and longbow. Fairly classic and there aren't enough NPCs that use a longsword, IMO.

I think a scald's THAC0 will be too low for dealing any significant damage while dual-wielding, unless his STR is 18++. I tried this with Imoen, Eldoth and even Branwen(added three stars via SK), and their share of kills still wouldn't rise past 5-8%, while Imoen with a short bow deals as much or probably even more damage, especially in the beginning of the game, since bandits, nymphs and hobgoblins have a rather bad AC.

(On the other hand, Kivan, Khalid, Minsc and Shar-Teel are incredible while dual-wielding.)

Axes and swords are all well and good, except he will get only one attack per round, and, again, bad THAC0. Same as Branwen, he'll be a meat shield at best.

I think that ranged weapons are his weapons of choice. Then again, there's only one good short bow in the (unmodded) game(two with Coran's quest), and most people reserve it for Imoen. There're two good long bows in the game(Bandit Camp, Long Bow +2, and Beregost, Composite Bow+1), but Kivan, and often Coran, want them, too.

I'd use crossbows. Especially since a crossbow at Thunderhammer Smithy offers a one extra attack per round, and BG2 Tweaks adds an "unlimited bolts" pack to it, to this very smithy. As well, poisoned bolts are very effective, too. Two attacks, 10-12 THAC0 quite soon - not bad, I think.

Eirik,

The G3 Forums "Send E-mail" function does not seem to allow attachments. PM me with your e-mail address if you'd like me to send you the kit directly. In the meantime, I posted the file (eSkald.rar) on my Yahoo! Groups page if you'd like to grab it there.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/aWL_BG2_forum/

Use it if you like, but don't worry if you decide against it: I won't be offended at all if you don't use it. Let me know if there are any problems with the kit.

Also, the readme includes a few customization tips.

:)

- D

The idea of dual-wielding adds a certain "pizazz." Although you make a valid point Kulyok, about (lack of) damage modifiers.

I didn't include crossbows because in all honesty I have a certain prejudice against them. Don't ask me why, they just don't seem a very "elegant" weapon (at least for a warrior).

In the end, I will leave it up to you, the players... however you wish to use him in your party.

'course his belch could be considered a weapon too I suppose!

He-he, nope he was actually a sweetie with a dark streak, so it took all party to subdue him when he got into a black drinking bout. Which he used once to get to bed Aerie... er...

what I was saying:

Bastard swords are underappreciated commodity. You can steal +1 one from the Smithy early on in the game and you can yay! dual-wield the Bastards. Very sweet.

I agree with Kulyok's point about cross-bows as missile weapon. It seems to be a bardic weapon of choice. I guess it reminds them a musical instrument or something....

On another hand why not go wild and give him something nobody ever uses on custom NPCs, like staff?

Would the Viking-inspired culture Eirik is from favor certain types of weapons and melee combat vs. ranged attacks? Do the Northmen eschew ranged weaponry? Not that Eirik can't be atypical for someone from the Moonshaes. I agree that the smartest weapon choice for him would be the crossbow, but is that culturally unlikely?

Would the Viking-inspired culture Eirik is from favor certain types of weapons and melee combat vs. ranged attacks?

Is this a rhetorical question? :)

Historically speaking (keep in mind this is a game), the main offensive weapons were the spear, sword and battle-axe, although bows and arrows and other missiles were also used.

The spear was the commonest weapon. It was used for both thrusting and throwing. Skilled spearsmen are said to have been able to throw two spears at once using both hands, or even to catch a spear in flight and hurl it back with deadly effect.

Swords were very costly to make, and a sign of high status. The blades were usually double-edged and up to 90cm, or a little over, in length, but early single-edged sabres are also known. Viking craftsmen often added their own elaborately decorated hilts, and many swords were given names, such as Leg-biter and Gold-hilt.

Long-handled battle-axes might be used instead of swords, particularly in open combat. But as the owner could not hold a shield at the same time, he would take cover behind the front line of warriors, rushing out at the right moment to hew down the enemy.

In preparation for battle the younger warriors would draw up in line, with their shields overlapping in a 'shield-wall' for better protection; their chiefs were well defended by a close bodyguard. The older veterans formed up in support behind them. Battle then began by throwing a spear over the enemy line to dedicate them to Odin, it is said, and this was followed by a shower of spears, arrows and other missiles.

And that's today's brief history lesson courtesy of www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/weapons_06.shtml. :)

As for the crossbow, the Finnish national epic, Kalevala, depicts Joukahainen ambushing the hero Väinämöinen with a crossbow. Ironicaly, hunting with crossbow is not allowed in Finland today.

Gamewise, the FRCS does not list the crossbow as a regional weapon for the moonshaes. That is not to say that an NPC couldn't wield one. The crossbow may be the common weapon for a bard, but a Skald is a special type of Bard. They often act, at the same time, as bard, councillor, and warrior. Based on the poll, most of you prefer a melee weapon, and I think, rightly so.

Wounded_Lion pointed out that Eirik could be given his own custom Skald kit (not available to the PC) to compensate for him not having 18/## strength. But I wonder if the rest of the community would think this extreme.

I happen to agree with Kulyok's analysis; though I personally wouldn't choose a crossbow. I could give him his own "special" Longbow that only he can use (much like Xan's sword).

One thing to bear in mind is that he'd probably aspire to using a sword even if he didn't own one to start with. I'd suggest starting proficiencies should include darts, as the nearest equivalent to a thrown spear/javelin type weapon, and battle-axe as the weapon he uses once he gets close to people. If he gets a third (I can't remember what skalds have for proficiencies) I'd suggest either spear or shortbow, which are both useful shipboard weapons. It sounds to me as if he really should be using a shield, but that isn't a bardic option. :)

Wounded_Lion pointed out that Eirik could be given his own custom Skald kit (not available to the PC) to compensate for him not having 18/## strength. But I wonder if the rest of the community would think this extreme.
Well that all depends on how you balance the kit. The "skald" you seem to be describing waxes much closer to a warrior than the courtly poets they actually were. All the talk here has revolved around weapons and hasn't touched magic or bardsong really.

So... why not make the custom kit a "warrior poet" (rekkrskald in Old Norse) of sorts? Allow him the 18/## strength of a fighter, give him somewhat the proficiencies of a fighter, but penalize his magic rather strictly. Instead of bardsong, give him a "chant of inspiration" or some such that gives +hit/dam and increases resistance to fear.

I happen to agree with Kulyok's analysis; though I personally wouldn't choose a crossbow. I could give him his own "special" Longbow that only he can use (much like Xan's sword).
Course, if he has the strength, he can wield a composite bow. Then again, if he has the strength, why not make him a front-liner with melee weapons. And if you're going to do this, I'd change my vote to either dual longswords or a two-handed sword. Though if you're really going for a "Norse" feel or the Forgotten Realms equivalent, perhaps a custom two-handed battle axe? It was the Norse weapon of choice, really more like a halberd with its reach and damage.

And if you're not going to give him the STR and proficiencies to be a front liner, the people advocating spear have a point. Bows were considered hunting weapons until the relatively late advent of longbowmen on the battlefield.

I like the idea of bards. But I tend not to use them because they're the proverbial "jacks of all trades, masters of none." Why have a half-ass caster, warrior and pickpocket when you already have a mage, fighter and thief in the party? But the sort of kit I described might make it interesting to sub the character in as a front-line fighter (as people seem to be leaning toward).

Archived