NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Poll: Which weapon would be your first choice for a Skald?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I'm reading this arightly, it's possible to tweak the NPC (grant and take away abilities) via script without even doing a custom kit. Though a lot of this is hieroglyphics to me... you might be able to make more sense of it.

Also some info on usability flags here.

Ironically, Cam's kit tutorial (which you linked to) is what I used to learn kit creation from when I first started modding... ;)

Scripting can be used to circumvent many 'hard-coded' aspects of the engine but does have its limitations.

I'm juggling around six different Morrow Gate components, too, but I need to play around with the custom kit a little more. I assumed (always a bad thing :D) that because the flags did not behave as expected, the desired effects were not attained. Upon reflection, some of the effects might have been successfully accomplished. Give me a fews days to playtest and tweak, and then I'll report.

- D

My thoughts on a warrior-poet kit:

1. Remove +1 to hit and damage bonus, and allow weapon specialization (as fighter, paladin etc.)

Note that a bard kit won't get an extra half attack for specialization.

2. Restrict pickpockets ability altogether (I'd much rather have an extra weapons slot)

Disabling the pickpocket button is easy :D Exchanging it for an extra weapon slot isn't possible ;)

4. Cannot use wands, scrolls, etc.

This part you can do with usability flags.

5. Restrict spell use to divination?

This also, though you will need to make new versions of the spells you'd like your kit to be able to cast and then assign them via clab file. Being able to learn spells from existing scrolls but not cast them isn't going to work :D

Disabling the pickpocket button is easy :D

Wow. I must have been high all week long. I was thinking I'd have to change the numerical pickpocket increase itself to zero. But the damn button could just be disabled. Don't know what the hell I was thinking... :D

This also, though you will need to make new versions of the spells you'd like your kit to be able to cast and then assign them via clab file.

I think that I disagree with you on this point. But let me do some testing before I make that argument. ;)

- D

Ok Eirik... like I said, I wasn't too happy with any of the Viking bastard swords so I ended up drawing one from scratch:

essword1.gif

Unfortunately it doesn't preserve the detail as well when shrinking it down to a BAM so I'm still messing with it. But what do you expect when you only have 64x64 pixels and 8-bit color to work with. ;)

I added some BAMs to your item and created a .tp2 installer for testing purposes (adding the sword temporarily to Candlekeep Inn), but as I know jack about modding I'd like someone to look over the code. I probably forgot or hosed something.

BACKUP ~eirik/backup~
AUTHOR ~test@nowhere.com~ 
AUTO_TRA ~eirik/%s~
LANGUAGE ~English~
	 ~english~
	 ~eirik/english/setup.tra~
BEGIN ~Eirik's Sword Installation~
COPY ~eirik/bams~ ~override~
COPY ~eirik/items/esw2h01.itm~ ~override/esw2h01.itm~
SAY NAME1 #6646
SAY NAME2 @1 
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC #6738
SAY DESC @2

COPY_EXISTING ~_INN2616.STO~ ~override/_INN2616.STO~
ADD_STORE_ITEM ~ESW2H01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ #1

I have the test item descriptions in english/setup.tra.

P.S.: Your NPC is a chaotic good skald (not an alignment allowed for PC skalds) right? Just checking... I had to hack a character with NI to test the item. :D

Ok Eirik... like I said, I wasn't too happy with any of the Viking bastard swords so I ended up drawing one from scratch:

Great job! I like it. The braiding on the hilt adds a nice touch.

This is for the inventory BAM correct? Yeah the runes won't show up once you shrink it down. But adding runes (first few anyway) to the description BAM will definitely show.

P.S.: Your NPC is a chaotic good skald (not an alignment allowed for PC skalds) right? Just checking... I had to hack a character with NI to test the item. :D

Correct. The version of DnD that BG is based did not allow CG Bards. Later versions revised Bard alignments to any non-lawful. I felt that Chaotic Good was the most appropriate alignment for him.

How about the weapon itself? Is it reasonable? It's lighter, finely balanced and well crafted, reflecting the -1 modifier to base weight, speed factor and THACO bonus. Eirik prefers wielding it like a baseball bat. ;)

This is for the inventory BAM correct? Yeah the runes won't show up once you shrink it down. But adding runes (first few anyway) to the description BAM will definitely show.
Yeah. Those description BAMs are a serious pain in the watusi to deal with though. Here's a preliminary version:

essw2hd1.jpg

For some reason I can't fathom, the developers made it so you have to section them into quarters and then reassemble them with frames having exact coordinates. Which is *really* fun if you actually want to edit the friggin thing. ;) Though there are some with just single frames, possibly for smaller items only. So I might want to reassemble and shift the coordinates on this one. And I guess, if you really want that Bioware look, I'd have to "rough it up" a bit. Though that sounds easier than it probably is, and I kind of like the "unroughed" version (at least you can kind of see the runes) - thoughts?

Incidentally, the name/description is in a text file (not hardcoded in the item or BAM) so you can feel free to edit that, even as you go along if you want. ;)

The version of DnD that BG is based did not allow CG Bards.
Silly. Kind of like the restriction against elven bards.
How about the weapon itself? Is it reasonable? It's lighter, finely balanced and well crafted, reflecting the -1 modifier to base weight, speed factor and THACO bonus.
It's entirely reasonable... in fact it's pretty much identical to a bog standard Bastard Sword +1. I tweaked the stats a bit to make it a little more unique:

essw2hd2.jpg

I don't think the minor bonuses would unbalance it at all, but it's up to you if you want to keep them. I've justified them in the description above (rather than true "magic" the qualities are imparted by the nordic runes :D).

Eirik prefers wielding it like a baseball bat. :D
Speaking of which, do you ever plan on using it 1-handed, and using the Tweaks feature to toggle to 2-handed mode (I saw your bug report there too ;))? If he has no interest in using a buckler or dual wielding, might as well just make it a 2-handed weapon. I've also reflected this in the stats and given it a slightly longer reach (that of a 2-handed sword).
And I guess, if you really want that Bioware look, I'd have to "rough it up" a bit. Though that sounds easier than it probably is, and I kind of like the "unroughed" version (at least you can kind of see the runes) - thoughts?

Normally, I would ask to have the same look and feel as the bioware original. However, if it messes up the runes, then its probably best not too. What do others think about this? Great job, btw. ;)

Incidentally, the name/description is in a text file (not hardcoded in the item or BAM) so you can feel free to edit that, even as you go along if you want. ;)

I like your description better!

I don't think the minor bonuses would unbalance it at all, but it's up to you if you want to keep them. I've justified them in the description above (rather than true "magic" the qualities are imparted by the nordic runes :D).

I followed the description of a masterwork weapon in the PH: These well made weapons add a +1 bonus to attack rolls. I'd like to know what others think about this? Maybe instead of damage modifiers, those protective runes act more like luck blade (wish spells not included :D ) or adjust his AC?

Eirik prefers wielding it like a baseball bat. ;)

Speaking of which, do you ever plan on using it 1-handed, and using the Tweaks feature to toggle to 2-handed mode (I saw your bug report there too ;))? If he has no interest in using a buckler or dual wielding, might as well just make it a 2-handed weapon. I've also reflected this in the stats and given it a slightly longer reach (that of a 2-handed sword).

Can you think of a situation where 1-handed would be ideal? I want to keep it a bastard sword, if only for its speed vs. a two-handed sword.

I followed the description of a masterwork weapon in the PH: These well made weapons add a +1 bonus to attack rolls. I'd like to know what others think about this? Maybe instead of damage modifiers, those protective runes act more like luck blade (wish spells not included ;) ) or adjust his AC?
It's perfectly plausible a good weapon could give an AC bonus (think of it as parrying ability) or perhaps even to saving throws, if you want it to give it more defense instead of offense (though I think Eirik should have some natural resistance to cold given his heritage ;)). You could also take the normal +1 off of damage and leave the occasional chance for the extra point of cold damage.
Can you think of a situation where 1-handed would be ideal? I want to keep it a bastard sword, if only for its speed vs. a two-handed sword.
I don't see any benefit to 1-handed if he's not dual wielding or using a shield. You can keep it a bastard sword and make it 2-handed. In fact, now that I read the fine print, the Tweak Pack component will not make it 2-handed anyway.
Two-Handed Bastard Swords

This component will not affect items introduced by mods.

So that settles that, I guess. :D

Incidentally, I came across a cool-looking brooch in a book on Vikings I have:

esbrooch.gif

I'm thinking about making a necklace-slot item out of it. Maybe Eirik finds it somewhere as a clue to Branwen? Or maybe it's a keepsake from home he wants to give her? If you don't want to use it, no worries... I'll probably make it anyway and use it somewhere else. :D

If Eirik gives Branwen a cloak pin, Gavin's just going to have to think of something else to give the pc. You can't have people thinking they shop at the same store, or, in Gavin's case, had the same grandmother. ;)

By the way: keep the look you have. It rocks.

I don't see any benefit to 1-handed if he's not dual wielding or using a shield. You can keep it a bastard sword and make it 2-handed. In fact, now that I read the fine print, the Tweak Pack component will not make it 2-handed anyway.

That just means the switcher-roo only works with the bioware standard issue bastard swords. That functionality could be added to Eirik's sword.

I'm thinking about making a necklace-slot item out of it. Maybe Eirik finds it somewhere as a clue to Branwen? Or maybe it's a keepsake from home he wants to give her?

Or as a gesture of goodwill? Yes, I can see something like that. ;) You are full of surprises!

Archived