Eirik: NPC Skald

EiriktheScald

Skald Abilities  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Eirik is a Northlander Skald from the Moonshae Isles. Your party will find him traveling along the Coast Way, just south of the Friendly Arm Inn.

Alignment: CG

STR: 17

DEX: 12

CON: 16

INT: 14

WIS: 10

CHA: 15

Stat total: 84 (In keeping with his warrior spirit, I gave him above average STR and CON; this will help in battle).

The kings of the Northlanders had at least one court skald to accompany them into battle and memorialize their deeds. In times of peace, these courtly poets would construct elaborate histories of the king's lineage, making his ancestors sound appropriately glorious. Eirik however, was not one to hang around the court composing praises of a king; unless he just happened to be there at the time, and felt that the king deserved a poem.

When he was a young boy, his father stopped taking him to the feasts, because he got too rowdy. Full of fiery temper; at the age of eight he chased a ten-year-old, who had tripped him during a game of ball, with an Axe. (For this he was severely reprimanded by his father.) Yet as he grew into adulthood his poetic skill increased, as did his fighting ability and his love for those close to him. When he mentions Branwen, his voice becomes gentler, extolling her brave idealism. Then his smile erases and his face darkens; filled with inward grief.

’She has gone, with the glitter of tear-drops

Yet agleam upon her tired lashes,

Her bosom heaving like the swelling wave

And my heart is at her grief afflicted.

Still I gaze, but my glances can pierce not

The glooming, now desolate, horizon;

And fierce is my longing to find her,

The fair one who only can heal me.’

[Edit:]Banters, interjections and an NPC/NPC romance are planned. Will your PC act as matchmaker or (with the BG1 NPC mod installed) vie for Branwen’s affections instead? It’s up to you; but don't expect him to play the fool! :)

The question remains: Should a custom kit be developed for him, matching the abilities to his character?

From my perspective the whole reason to have a Bard in your party is because of the unique blend of skills they offer as a Bard. If I want an NPC for straight melee I'll get more of a fighter type. I've just started including Bard types in some of my parties so others with more experience using them might have other opinions. Also I'm all for a cool (not overpowered) custom kit but if your Eirik NPC is a Bard, my vote is don't try and turn him into a fighter but leave him a Bard.

Voted for warrior-bard since that seems to be more in line with his character description. But for the record, I usually use bards in the back ranks with ranged weapons and spells.

His character description would seem more warrior-like when compared to a true bard; e.g. Garrick. This does not mean he's a front-line fighter.

When playing BG1, I have always received the impression that Branwen might have been imprisoned for a long time (possibly hundreds of years) before the PC releases her. Does anyone know what the developers intended?

I have *not* played Tutu with the BG1 NPC Project installed. What does that mod do with her character? Or would that be spoiling things? :)

- D

When playing BG1, I have always received the impression that Branwen might have been imprisoned for a long time (possibly hundreds of years) before the PC releases her. Does anyone know what the developers intended?
Hmm... no. I'm not even sure BG1 NPC explains how her statue got into the hands of the carnival, how she was turned to stone etc. (though I haven't exhaustively tested all dialog options with her). I'm surprised they didn't include it in BG1 Unfinished Business (*grumbles about that project being shelved perhaps indefinitely*). But this was kinda interesting:
For the time being, the restorations of the following will *not* be included in BG1UB:

* Two-handed axes

Not sure why they decided that.
I have *not* played Tutu with the BG1 NPC Project installed. What does that mod do with her character? Or would that be spoiling things? :)
In short it gives her a possible romantic interest in the PC. I think Eirik is suggesting a potential conflict therein with his NPC. Which could be... interesting. :)

I seem to remember her getting VERY upset if you don't kill Tranzig (as in instantly going to minimum happiness), and her happiness not resetting even if your rep is kept in the mid range. Could have been a bug in my game though.

For the record, I voted for him to be more bard-like, but if more melee ability suits his personality better, then by all means give him a modified Skald/Blade kit to represent it. If his abilities aren't true to character, that will seem worse than a bard with more fight than magic.

I seem to remember her getting VERY upset if you don't kill Tranzig (as in instantly going to minimum happiness), and her happiness not resetting even if your rep is kept in the mid range. Could have been a bug in my game though.

Was this with BG1 NPC mod installed? The original bioware release had no banter at all, as I remember it.

Archived