Fine weapons

Miloch

I'd argue for less of a chance of fine weapons breaking. They are expensive, relatively speaking.

Last time I was playtesting (in the Bandit camp) the PC's plate mail, helm, and one of her swords all broke within 4 rounds of each other. Hardly tragic, but getting through the encounter with no armor, no helm, and only one sword was tough.

You can't change armor during combat, don't forget.

I'd actually like a larger chance. In my playthroughs of BG1, I can remember perhaps one instance of a weapon breaking, and that was unnoticed until after the fight. Hardly a crisis to my perspective :p
What we're talking about here is using the SCS component "change +1 weapons to 'fine' weapons" and "make fine weapons breakable" - and you would definitely notice that last part. If there truly is a 1% chance of a weapon breaking per hit, then either you didn't get in many fights, got exceedingly lucky, or managed to get your hands on +1 weapons before any of your normal weapons broke (in which case, you were not using this component). Or any combination of those.

Hehe. Pardon.

Fine weapons should break about equally often, agreed. If the metal rots, the weapon will break no matter how finely balanced and sharpened it is.

It was just a bit of an anecdote, really, to note that this iron crisis didn't affect me much at all without this mod. With this mod component I'll get a better chance to notice it, which is good.

If I get bored, I can always put together a "2+% chance of breaking" tweak, I suppose. Thanks for the modding work!

:p

Please forgive, but a little off topic.

Do non-party members (Hobgoblins, Skeletons, and Kobolds) weapons have the same chance of breaking as do party members weapons?

Yes. After the battle that cost the pc all that gear, there was a broken sword on the body of a dead chill hobgoblin.

Please forgive, but a little off topic.

Do non-party members (Hobgoblins, Skeletons, and Kobolds) weapons have the same chance of breaking as do party members weapons?

In BGT, no. Only those who have DPLAYER2 or DPLAYER3 scripts assigned (usually only NPCs while in party) will have their weapons shattering.

In BGT, no. Only those who have DPLAYER2 or DPLAYER3 scripts assigned (usually only NPCs while in party) will have their weapons shattering.
How does that work without having alternate weapons? In Tutu, the breakage is a spell or effect on the item itself - does the script prevent this from triggering?

Shatterable weapons have effects with opcode 309: Set/Modify Variable, with 1% probability.

DPLAYER scripts check for this variable and if it's set, they replace weapon with "broken weapon" - with 50-75% probability:

IF
 Global("ENDOFBG1","GLOBAL",0)
 HasItemEquipedReal("AX1H01",Myself) // Battle Axe
 Global("AX1H01","LOCALS",1)
THEN
 RESPONSE #50
DisplayStringHead(Myself,@401115)
SetGlobal("AX1H01","LOCALS",0)
TakeItemReplace("BrokWeap","AX1H01",Myself)
 RESPONSE #50
SetGlobal("AX1H01","LOCALS",0)
Continue()
END

Okay, so I still maintain that it's perfectly logical (given various things you're told in-game) that fine weapons are as likely to break as ordinary ones. But I also maintain that people should be able to play the game however they like.

Weapon breaking is now optional: v4 of SCS has two versions of the fine-weapons component, one with breakable weapons and one without.

Okay, so I still maintain that it's perfectly logical (given various things you're told in-game) that fine weapons are as likely to break as ordinary ones. But I also maintain that people should be able to play the game however they like.
Whhaaaat? Whatever happened to the 'My World And Welcome To It' style of DMing (a la Gary Gygax)? Because in My World, fine weapons are better than normal/crappy ones, though they have a .085% chance of breaking. :)

And when the a.i. lantern is off :hm: ?
I'm still curious about this. Does it still kick in?
Whhaaaat? Whatever happened to the 'My World And Welcome To It' style of DMing (a la Gary Gygax)? Because in My World, fine weapons are better than normal/crappy ones, though they have a .085% chance of breaking. :)

Confused...

And when the a.i. lantern is off :hm: ?

I'm still curious about this. Does it still kick in?

Nothing to do with me. Pro5 and Nythrun are talking about TUTU, not BGT. (Which probably you realise anyway... still, just for clarification...)

That style of DMing went extinct when everyone realised that such DMs could be replaced by people not interested in wtfpwning their players, and that makes the game better :)

DPLAYER2/DPLAYER3 scripts not running when the a.i. is deactivated is part of the BG2 engine and neither the fault of any mod nor something that can be changed (which sucks, but there'll be GemRB someday :hm: )

That style of DMing went extinct when everyone realised that such DMs could be replaced by people not interested in wtfpwning their players
They can? *Now* you tell me...

@DavidW - it was a joke (sort of) though my point in seriousness is that if it were solely up to me, I'd make fine weapons breakable, but at a much lesser chance than normal weapons.

Edit: Oh and that reminds me. I saw an episode of 'Mythbusters' not too long ago where the myth they tried to dispel was the fact a sword can break another sword fairly easily, like you see in movies all the time. They tried all sorts of things, even an automatic repeating sword-breaking machine, but they couldn't break even a mass-produced crappy sword. I realise the BG1 iron situation is special and I'm not saying weapons never break... it's just really really tough to do for iron weapons. I could see clubs or other wooden weapons breaking a lot easier than even substandard iron.

Edit: Oh and that reminds me. I saw an episode of 'Mythbusters' not too long ago where the myth they tried to dispel was the fact a sword can break another sword fairly easily, like you see in movies all the time. They tried all sorts of things, even an automatic repeating sword-breaking machine, but they couldn't break even a mass-produced crappy sword. I realise the BG1 iron situation is special and I'm not saying weapons never break... it's just really really tough to do for iron weapons. I could see clubs or other wooden weapons breaking a lot easier than even substandard iron.

Ah well. Modern steel is a rather different animal from medieval iron. And Mythbusters tend to decide upon the conclusion they want in advance.

Anyway, I break my epees just fine in training, thank you :)

Delightful sword pictures and a long essay:

http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/heymr.htm

Archived