Fine weapons

Miloch

Anyway, I break my epees just fine in training, thank you :)
Well that's an épée, not a real longsword or something. And if you're using an electric one, it has little in common with a medieval or renaissance sword. I used to break foils all the time too. I looked at a few and thought, are these even iron or steel? They looked more like pewter or something.

Then I had an actual fencing weaponsmaster make me a foil (a 'fine foil' perhaps?) since I got fed up with the crappy ones. I fenced with it for years without it breaking - I still have it to this day actually.

The Mythbusters point I think was that decent swords are designed to be flexible and strong (little point in forging a sword if it doesn't have these qualities). You can bend them quite a bit but rarely break them. Also I think the Lost Items mod reintroduces a katana to BG1/Tutu but not as breakable. Due to the nature of katanas (steel folded multiple times etc.), they pretty much are unbreakable.

Well, of course wooden weapons break easier than even the softest, crappiest steel. No argument there. (Except small trees wielded by ogres, of course)

And I concede the point about epees. That steel is designed to flex, bend and break cleanly - not to be hard enough to pierce someone, or cut someone, bend and still keep an edge. The cheap ones are stiffer, heavier and break easier.

The anecdotes about samurai swords cutting through machine gun barrels in WW2 is wonderful. +2 katana, anyone? :)

Guest Guest_Nythrun_*
The anecdotes about samurai swords cutting through machine gun barrels in WW2 is wonderful. +2 katana, anyone? :)

Completely apocryphal anecdotes :hm:

Billeted steel folded seven times doesn't necessarily have a superior carbon count or layer distribution as compared to pattern welding.

/end hijack, sorry

Completely apocryphal anecdotes :hm:

Billeted steel folded seven times doesn't necessarily have a superior carbon count or layer distribution as compared to pattern welding.

/end hijack, sorry

But potentially? And anyway, that doesn't make the mental image less funny. This thread is wondrously hijacked off topic already, I probably ought to apologize as well :)

(/me hides his cleaver of word-splitting)

Didn't you see that episode of Mythbusters? Can't happen, even with superheating the barrel in a forge!. I think that they did manage to sever a rifle barrel after super-heating, but that's a lot smaller than a MG barrel.

Shatterable weapons have effects with opcode 309: Set/Modify Variable, with 1% probability.

DPLAYER scripts check for this variable and if it's set, they replace weapon with "broken weapon" - with 50-75% probability:

IF
 Global("ENDOFBG1","GLOBAL",0)
 HasItemEquipedReal("AX1H01",Myself) // Battle Axe
 Global("AX1H01","LOCALS",1)
THEN
 RESPONSE #50
DisplayStringHead(Myself,@401115)
SetGlobal("AX1H01","LOCALS",0)
TakeItemReplace("BrokWeap","AX1H01",Myself)
 RESPONSE #50
SetGlobal("AX1H01","LOCALS",0)
Continue()
END

@pro5 - DPLAYER is completely different in BG1, BG2 and Tutu (and DPLAYER2 and DPLAYER3 look completely unrelated also). So are you saying BGT changed or extended these scripts with the code you describe? If so, I may be looking to swipe that code for BG1/Tutu, but...
And when the a.i. lantern is off :) ?
I'm still curious about this. Does it still kick in?
This is still unanswered.

Also, I'm still toying with the idea of having a weapons repair shop, but trying to think of how to do it without having separate broken items for every breakable weapon in the game (though I guess that's an option).

BGT extends those scripts, yes. And each time party AI is off, iron crisis takes a break. :) It kicks back in after you reenable it, I remember doing so once or twice and it was weird when several characters at once suddenly lost their weapons although the combat was already over.

And each time party AI is off, iron crisis takes a break. ;)
Hmm. Cludgy. There has to be a better way of letting enemy weapons be unbreakable. I thought of maybe ADD_CRE_ITEM the BG2 versions as UNDROPPABLE to everyone (which will displace the normal versions to their inventories) but that is also cludgy.

Archived