Need opinions on a bard kit

meat axe

Ok, that's looking pretty good. Forcing them to change into another form to access all the draconic abilities is a good idea, particularly if that form makes them unable to use any weapons, so making you choose between what you get as a kit and what you find. You could probably safely add a couple more strength bonuses at high levels if that's the case, as they'd be limited to natural claws in dragon form.

As for the breath weapon, I'd probably up the damage a bit at starting, say 2d6, then up it to 2d10, 5d10 and finally 10d10 (possibly you could add more gradiations, such as 2d10 +1d6, or add more breaths per day, remember that bards can get very high levels in ToB). 20d10 is a bit too crazy damage wise, even for a once a day ability. You should probably also make it a fan of damage rather than a radius, like a Cone of Cold, to better reflect a true breath weapon.

I think the total restriction of armour (plus helms and bracers) will could well balance out the abilities added. You might still need some play testing, but it's looking much better.

20d10 is a bit too crazy damage wise, even for a once a day ability. You should probably also make it a fan of damage rather than a radius, like a Cone of Cold, to better reflect a true breath weapon.

Yeah, I basically only chose 20d10 because that's what the dragon breath HLA for mages does, but since this is only a half-dragon, it should be reduced. The fan of damage is a good idea, cheers.

I should probably add the claw damage and at what levels the claws advance at. I'll have to think on that. And I just realised something that might need rethinking. The kit can't change until level 13, which means that when playing tutu, the player won't see it at all. Maybe I should change the level down to 7 or so, perhaps even lower. At that low level, however, the half-dragon wouldn't have many special abilities. Maybe have +1 modifier on his claws.

Hey, could someone be able to tell me where i can find hexadecimal codes for items? or tell me what the hex code for shields is? It's for the unusable items bit of the mod, and i can just use the code from the kensai for the rest of the armour restrictions, but i have no idea what the code for shields is, nor do i know where to find it. Cheers.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

Nice idea of a mod, but shouldn't you build the char description from the ground up, like what he has on level one...

Suggestions, he/she/it should be able to wield only small swords, daggers, clubs, slings, and the works, so the claws would be a natural choice, not just a weapon that you will have to use while in dragon form. You should take a look at the monks hit-to-hit table and go off with something a little weaker(by the way the strength bonuses aren't good for this, hint! The Belts).

"May not shapeshift in towns." Why? Why not make it like the ban of wizardry in Athkatla, it's restricted cause it's against the rules of the city, not cause it's in the char description. So what you could do is to make an encounter that trips as you change from human to the half dragon, and the like... think for yourself.

And by the way, nearly(to my knowledge all) of the half-dragons have a dragon/god father and a human/elven/dwarven/orc mother. She nearly always dies at the birth of the child...

Thanks a lot for the feedback. All of it helps, especially if some of it means less work I've gotta do in the long run.

Suggestions, he/she/it should be able to wield only small swords, daggers, clubs, slings, and the works, so the claws would be a natural choice, not just a weapon that you will have to use while in dragon form. You should take a look at the monks hit-to-hit table and go off with something a little weaker(by the way the strength bonuses aren't good for this, hint! The Belts).

I was sort of thinking of restricting the weapons to those of thieves, though i don't know why a half-dragon couldn't use something like a two-handed sword. Maybe because he needs to save as much energy as he can for the transformation. The idea for basing it on the monks hit-to-hit table is a good one. I wouldn't have thought of that. That'll make life a whole lot easier, what with the less thinking involved in that.

"May not shapeshift in towns." Why? Why not make it like the ban of wizardry in Athkatla, it's restricted cause it's against the rules of the city, not cause it's in the char description. So what you could do is to make an encounter that trips as you change from human to the half dragon, and the like... think for yourself.

I was originally planning to do some sort of encounter system for when you shapeshift in a town. Maybe have dragon slayers come after to you after they get word of your presence (maybe after a few times you've shapeshifted, every time after you have an encounter). But I don't know how easy that'll be to implement, so i'm gonna do those sorts of tweaks after i've done the rest of the other work.

And by the way, nearly(to my knowledge all) of the half-dragons have a dragon/god father and a human/elven/dwarven/orc mother. She nearly always dies at the birth of the child...

I was thinking about this too... I didn't know about the mother dying at child birth (should have been pretty obvious, i guess. And now I'm getting flashbacks to scenes from Alien... not a pretty thought) but that'll tie in nicely with being an orphan, i think... then again, if the mother died during childbirth, it would mean that bhaal was the dragon. I guess if he can be elves and dwarves and things (he'd have to be able to take on many forms of different races, otherwise the player wouldn't have a choice of race), he must sometimes like being a big lizard, too.

Guest Jarno Mikkola
I guess if he can be elves and dwarves and things (he'd have to be able to take on many forms of different races, otherwise the player wouldn't have a choice of race), he must sometimes like being a big lizard, too.
Yes, but this is where the lore becomes inestimable, does the child have all the powers of the creature the god shapeshifted, and if so, does the son of the dragon/god have all the powers of the dragon and the heritage of the god and the mothers orcish race, :p (and what the god of chaos have to say to this.) :p

scenes from Alien
Don't think it like that, think it like that the child is a little to big and as the child passes though, the child's scales cut(thus the dragons lay eggs), and the hemorrhage kills the mother.

:) Ah, the plan is working. I got you to think, and the dragon is rising. ;)

Don't think it like that, think it like that the child is a little to big and as the child passes though, the child's scales cut(thus the dragons lay eggs), and the hemorrhage kills the mother.

For some reason I find more comfort in the thought of an alien bursting through someone's stomach, than a small dragon tearing with its scales.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

So you would like to die on parasites more than for your own children, now there is a nice choice, that the nature shall be thankful for. :p

By the way, you should put at least a few half-dragon picts attached to the mod, so one might use them as their char picts.

"Draconic Resistance: +12% Resistance to Sleep at levels 2, 5, 9, 14 and 20." This is weird. So what the h377 are the dragons usually doing while not out of their caves. They sleep on their treasury. This should be represented as a class feature/weakness not a resistance/strengh.

And you should put the human/elven form to be able to wear magic robes, but they should be ripped to shreds if s/he changes form while using one. And s/he should be able to have 1 invocation spell per magic spell level, but only one, and no they have to be learned from scrolls.

The shreds(from different robes) might be then sown back together by Cespenar to form the Ultimate Robe of the Dragon God(and it can have other parts too). :p

Hey... Just something I remember from some RPG book...

The heritage (I think this is the word, my english is not very good) doesn't have to be direct. Waht I mean is, The dragon may have had a child with you grandmothe: your mother. But she didn't take the draconic traits, so it was just on her dna. An she had you with Bhaal. So you inherited Dragons power from you grandfather, trhough you mother, and you Godly power from you father, Bhaal.

Again, sorry for my bad english, and I hope you understand what I tried to say, and that I was of some help.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

But, but, if you would be second genetation half-dragon it would mean that the dragonical trades would be much diminished from the first generation, that it wouldn't be nearly as god. And by the way, biologically speaking, seperated species(espesially when the species are from different worlds, who knows the dragons might have six linked triple helixes as their dna) useally cannot produce a fertile offspring, just like a mule is a cross species of donkey and a horse, but with gods this might be a little different.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

Yeah, but you really can't expect all of a sudden to have pure goblins with dragon as their children, unless there are millions of the little baggers that believe that their chief is a half-dragon goblin, and thus it happens.

But, back to the bard, what one(you, meat axe) could do, is to make him/her/it immune to backstab and wing buffet at level 20 or so. And also, if you manage to make a dragonslayer encounter, make them use sleep, command, and the spells like that, to use to the dragon apprentice, so they would use your weakness against you(cause they are professionals).

Immunity to backstab is pretty strong, even though you don't meet all that many rogues in late ToB when it would matter, but I think immunity to wing buffet is going a bit far. A wing buffet is essentially the dragon slapping you back either directly with its wings or the wind they create, so there wouldn't be any real rationale for immunity to wing buffet just because you're part dragon.

Archived