Yoshimo

devSin

I like how everyone who looked at this topic forgot about skillrac.2da and the suspiciously coincidental 45 skill points it gives to humans like...erm...Yoshimo.

I also like how some goofball noticed that skillrac.2da wasn't being checked in Level1NPCs, and thought "Hmm, that reminds me, we need to redo that in Fixpack," and promptly forgot. For four years.

Fortunately, much the the Imoen thief skill anti-fix we inherited from Baldurdash, no one ever complained.

Behold the rewards of diligence: flushed cheeks and blithe indifference.

Aren't those dynamic (the stats are base, modified for race and Dexterity via 2DA)?
Yes, skillrac.2da gives the base thief stats for each race, which is further modified by skilldex.2da. Both of those seem to apply to monks and rangers too. The game must apply those dynamically when the creature is created, then add whatever additional points it finds in the .cre file. Anyway, the likes of L1NPCs doesn't need to check either table, because the game does it. (Not sure what it does if someone makes Haer'Dalis a thief - presumably he takes either the ELF or HUMAN entry since there isn't one for TIEFLING.)
Aren't those dynamic (the stats are base, modified for race and Dexterity via 2DA)?
Yes, but skillrac didn't apply to non-party members when I tested it? We fix the bug of Yoshimo getting his race bonus twice when he's in the party by adding a bug where he doesn't get it at all when he does his ill-advised Hide() ShivParty() routine.

I'll check it again though; it's always possible I bungled something in the test or got stung by the Active Bounce Effects Make The Engine Go Play Twiddlywinks For Thirty Seconds Instead Of Doing Its Low Level Processing Bug or some other such incompetence.

I can't tell what you're suggesting...
Please exclude me from suggestions and all other forms of hypnosis so that I may retire.

the likes of L1NPCs doesn't need to check either table
It does, because the skill selection menu in game is not WYSIWYG (the menu allows negative values, but the value the engine uses is an unsigned byte; unlike the bonus to thief skill opcode, .2da bonus is bounds-checked against underflow). The last build of L1NPCs does not display either one correctly. That's a discussion for elsewhere, though :cringe:

there isn't one for TIEFLING.
Haer'Dalis gets the elven bonus.

Archived