Is G3 still Hosting Mods?

Zyraen

1. Is a host request procedure documented somewhere?

2. For mods in process:

a) Ideally when should a request to host be made? alpha release? full release?

b) since it seems there is a democratic process involved in deciding whether to host, or not. How does one gage a successful outcome to that request? I wouldn't bother making the request if there just isn't any interest in it. As it stands the only feedback I get is from the polls I start (<15 responses doesn't make me feel very comfortable about getting my mod hosted).

Please don't read this as any sort of official policy, but when hosting requests come up I look more favourably on those which demonstrate already having some code--or at the very least someone who can and will definitely code it. I'd say that having an alpha that can be tried would strengthen the application, in my mind.

I'd say that having an alpha that can be tried would strengthen the application, in my mind.
Not that I have anything to say in this regard, but I second this approach. No offence meant, but there are too many (often very promising) mods with own forums that die long before any alpha state. It has reached a state where I can't get excited about new project ideas because I do not want to get disappointed again.

I agree with Andy. A mod that is close to completion and has demos is easier to look at and discuss objectively as opposite to just an idea. As a person guilty of dropping mods myself, I'd say that applying for hosting when you actually do need a forum for working on the particuliarities of the mod as opposite to the generalities that can be discussed in well... general forums is a good idea from the prospective applicant prespective also. People often tire of waiting too long and the 'This mod dead,' is nothing pleasent to announce....

So what is the best thing to do when you do have a working alpha?

For example: Gavin's alpha is done, installs, and works just fine on a Windows XP ToSC/ToB install for friendship path, but I don't consider the mod done because the romance path isn't finished, I have to add a soundset, and refine the combat script for the quest.

[Edit:]

@berelinde: viewers may have a passing interest; but those who take the time to respond, you know if they're interested, or not.

@ icelus: 1 year? Is that an extreme case? A lot can happen in a year... the developer may have moved on to other things in that time frame.. or worse. :p

@ jastey: The reason I talk about it in the forums is to 1) gage interest; 2) gain a different perspective; 3) get a supportive ear when I'm stuck, etc. Those that stay close to the project will know if progress is being made. :p

Archived