Hitting a snag with compatibility

berelinde

In ToSC, there's a well-known spot where the pc can end up kissing Durlyle.

All the boys in BG1 NPC have ADD_TRANS_ACTIONS and interjections all over the place.

I've got a feeling that I'm going to have some trouble making sure everybody gets their interjections in and their variables set if Gavin's romance is running at the same time as someone else's.

What was the work-around for Sirene's Call? With Ardrouine (or whatever her name was), I figured there's enough of a mess. Gavin doesn't really need to interject there. But there is no way he would be able to remain silent if his beloved <CHARNAME> started kissing some guy right in front of him.

:p

please

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...ost&p=64788

The temporary fix for Sirine's Call was to add Ghrey's global set in the Ardrouine conversation to all I_C_T and I_C_T2s so that the quest would progress if we were installed second. If SC is, ours are mostly wiped out.

Basically, A_T_A is just what you want (I think... if I understand you correctly), because it, well, "add the transitive action" to all of the states in the setup that you specify (and all of them if you so desire). If Ghrey had used that particular code, then instead of State 0 being falsed out it would have been patched. I believe other A_T_A's pick up the old stuff and just add on yours.

Two more involved ways out of this are to a. write a separate conversation triggered soon after the event, or b. false out the entire state and rebuild it the way you want it to.

option B was what I thought of originally; I was going to basically kill of all of Ardrouine's dialogue states and rebuild using a massive CHAIN which looked for the presence of SC and had alternate pathways. I abandoned the idea when I realized that only helped if BG1 NPC is installed last, and no other mods messed with the darned thing...

Setting a global for later discussion is fine for my purposes. My only concern is that I most emphatically want to make sure that everybody gets to say what they need to say and set whatever globals they need to set, regardless of installation order. Ajantis uses I_C_T for a few of the states, so I'm hoping that isn't going to mess anything up. I can't even find the files where Coran's variables and Xan's variables get set.

Are you saying that it would be all right if I did this:

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 37 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 39 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 58 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 59 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 61 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 63 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 64 END BEGIN END
SetSomeGavinGlobal

No. I think I have it backward. I'll be OK if I use ADD_TRANS_ACTIONs to the states leading *to* the places where the globals would be set, and list the reply states after the second BEGIN.

I think.

So, if I wanted to set a global for something that led to state 61, 63, and 64, I would do:

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1~ BEGIN 58 END BEGIN 1 3 END
~SetGlobal("B!DurlyleKiss","GLOBAL",1)~

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1) BEGIN 59 END BEGIN 1 3 END

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~_URLYLE1) BEGIN 60 END BEGIN 0 1 2 3 END

Edit: Went and read the documentation about a dozen times, and I think this will work. Am I right?

Honestly, this is the only place where there is such a tough question. Really.

I think I would try it out: Install it, and decompile the dlgs by hand, to see whether the changes are how you expect them to be.

Why should I_C_T mess things up, if several are installed from different mods? I'd expect them to happen one after the other. No?

There was a problem with Sirene's Call, where a variable setting was being squashed by interjections or vice versa, depending on install order.

Regardless of whatever else happens, by the time this thing goes beta, all of these factors will have been tested quite thoroughly.

But I think I will do that. In terms of external influences on the relationship, the Durlyle conflict is a defining moment in any of the BG1 relationships.

What the heck. I hadn't planned to do much besides testing on this install anyway. Might as well take the new alpha out for a quick test. I've always got a few now-why-didn't-I-see-that-state-x-was-unresolved moments anyway.

The biggest problem with Sirine's Call is that Ghrey went with False()-ing state 0, which obviously clobbered stuff. Plus, our stuff that *did* work hijacked the materials with EXIT, etc. with no transition to carry forward.

Quick note: A_T_A is assuming the states in question are correctly existing. That means if someone has added other states beforehand (or are putting it on a BGT install) this may not work. (See pro5's work on vanilla BGT compatibility).

I don't know about this, but perhaps a really specific patch using DLG to D, like BCS to BAF?

:p I think Coran's got something that hijacks one of the states, but I'm not worried about that: if Coran's in the party, and the action he uses to hijack the conversation happens, it won't matter whether or not Gavin's variable gets set, because the situation leading to it will never have arisen. I think.

I'm going to do as Jastey suggested, though, and do a test install to see where the actions are added. Never a bad idea.

The states are in the vanilla Tutu, so I'm guessing I'll be able to spot any transitions that fail to occur due to party composition. By the time the party gets to the Island of Balduran in a typical game, this is probably going to be a non-issue, but it never hurts to prepare for everything.

But not BGT quite yet. One thing at a time. I'd prefer to start off with something that I know is stable in Tutu.

new quick note - I need to remember that globals set and actions scripted within a dialogue all happen at the end, so you have to exit the conversation before you get the benefit of the globals you set... might help you to check on that here, too :D

Archived