Drizzt in area according to detect evil, but nowhere to be seen

Guest Slayer of Cliffracers

Well, I run accross Drizzt in the proper area (ie hills southwest of Beregoth, and south of madland where Melicamp the talking chicken and Bassilus are found) and the apparantly buggy Dynaheir quest fired.

Drizzt goes away telling me to meet him tommorow, the good gnolls come and talk to me, I send the good gnolls away and then Drizzt tells me to come back tommorow.

So I go east to the hills north of Naskel, kill some bandits and hobgoblins and come back so a day has passed.

No sign of Drizzt though. Funny thing is, that according to magic (detect evil and dispel invisibility) Drizzt is actually in the area, beacause his magic resistance is sensed.

I keep running across these groups of gnolls, groups of 4, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about them. Anyway, I killed them all but still no sign of Drizzt.

I have Easy-Tutu, TutuFix, Degreenifier and BG NPC (obviously).

What should I do? And how come Drizzt shows up on detect evil, according to magic Drizzt is actually in the area, yet after thouraghly searching the area I see no still see sign of him.

Which version of BG1NPC do you have? It should say in your \BG1NPC\BG1NPCReadMe.html file. I thought this problem was fixed in the latest version (v12b3) though maybe there are still some glitches cmorgan or someone is working on. Also are you on Windows or Mac? Not sure that makes a difference but I seem to recall reading that somewhere too.

Which version of BG1NPC do you have? It should say in your \BG1NPC\BG1NPCReadMe.html file. I thought this problem was fixed in the latest version (v12b3) though maybe there are still some glitches cmorgan or someone is working on. Also are you on Windows or Mac? Not sure that makes a difference but I seem to recall reading that somewhere too.

I am using Windows XP.

I am using Version 12, Beta 3. So I am not using an out of date copy. The problem is with the latest version.

I think on another thread I heard something about clearing the area of monsters, then waiting for respawn.

Drittz is according to the game in the area, but the game hasn't placed him anywhere.

I heard that this problem is a problem with spawning, the game fills all the spawning sites with monsters, and doesn't have any room for Drizzt or something lke that.

I'll go and try and do the clean out the area and wait for respawn routine, tedious as it is. But even if this works I don't think this should be oligatory, Drizzt should be there in a days time, without anyone using any secret technique.

According to cmorgan's ToDo list, this was fixed around November 5th so it should be good in the version you have. But there have also been glitches reported since then, so there could be another fix pending. You could try to console Drizzt in but I don't think that'd help if the scripting is messed up. If you try it, do a ctrl+space and CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("_DRIZZT") after adding Debug Mode=1 to baldur.ini. In theory you could also set the scripting variables correctly with CLUA but I wouldn't know how to do that offhand. Anyhow you shouldn't have to do any of that - hopefully someone who's working on the mod will be by soon to look at this and have a proper fix. It may require you going back to a saved game before you visited this area first, so make sure you have that... you can even keep playing it, just do other quests or areas for the time being. This happened to me in the previous version but like I said, I thought it was fixed in v12b3.

According to cmorgan's ToDo list, this was fixed around November 5th so it should be good in the version you have. But there have also been glitches reported since then, so there could be another fix pending. You could try to console Drizzt in but I don't think that'd help if the scripting is messed up. If you try it, do a ctrl+space and CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("_DRIZZT") after adding Debug Mode=1 to baldur.ini. In theory you could also set the scripting variables correctly with CLUA but I wouldn't know how to do that offhand. Anyhow you shouldn't have to do any of that - hopefully someone who's working on the mod will be by soon to look at this and have a proper fix. It may require you going back to a saved game before you visited this area first, so make sure you have that... you can even keep playing it, just do other quests or areas for the time being. This happened to me in the previous version but like I said, I thought it was fixed in v12b3.

Thanks for the help, I'll try and use the console.

Remember though, according to the game, Drizzt is already in the area, even though he isn't.

Since it is clearly causing so much trouble, why not just not keep Drizzt at a permanant location and set the scripting so he will only respond with the correct response, after a certain period of time, rather than removing him. Then like normal, upon the end of the quest he vanishes from the game?

The whole removing Drizzt at all, while neat seems to be causing a whole load of problems.

I managed to call up Drizzt fine enough with the console.

However the strangest thing just happened, Drizzt wasn't his usual polite well-mannered individual but a disgusting lout who then procceeded, after insulting me in the most disgusting manner, to butcher my party.

What I think is going on is that due to the fact that Drizzt is still in the area according to the game, the script for Drizzt is another character dialogue that is after Drizzt's dialogue in the files.

So my Drizzt character, is treated as bieng someone else, yet the model of Dritzz is his usual self. Which means I get slaughtered by my Drizzt impersonator.

Fortunately, I have a pre-Beregost save handy, I will load it up and then start the whole quest again from the beginning.

ok, Slayer of Cliffracers - I have some quick questions, then some solutions. Definitely don't CLUA him in; Miloch was right about the general idea, but because of the way the dialogues are constructed, your hunch (and experience) is correct. Drizzt when consoled in has all the wrong variables set and will go hostile and lay waste to everything in sight.

This is all supposed to be fixed... and is not a common problem before or after the fix (never showed up in extensive playtesting). blast. If you are using Tutu v4, please check the hotfixes, or open the area up in NI and assign it's script, and see if it still happens!

[summary]You are operating on Win XP, v12Beta3. You met Drizzt and helped him as usual, killing the gnolls and completing the original quest. Drizzt then came back to you, had a conversation in which he agreed to look for the journal too (or alone) and to meet him back in the area in two days (48 hours, 7 full rests). The Dynaheir quest then intitaited with the Good Gnolls spawning and talking, but Drizzt did not reappear.

[/summary]

First off, this statement

Drizzt goes away telling me to meet him tommorow, the good gnolls come and talk to me, I send the good gnolls away and then Drizzt tells me to come back tommorow.
I am not sure about - if everything worked correctly, Drizzt should have moved away from the party to the southeast and then "disappeared" (Deactivated, leaving him in the area but not seen or able to be interacted with). Did this happen?

Questions:

1. Are you on Tutu v4, EasyTutu, or BGT?
  2. Did Drizzt Deactivate before the good gnolls spawned and talked, or did he just stand around?
  3. If you type CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL") what value is returned?
  4. If you type CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DrzztReappears","FW4200") what value is returned?

relevant code appended to area script -

IF
GlobalTimerExpired("X#DztSearch","GLOBAL")
Global("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",5)
Global("X#DrzztReappears","FW4200",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	Activate("drizzt")
	ActionOverride("drizzt",MoveToObjectNoInterrupt(Player1))
	ActionOverride("drizzt",StartDialogueNoSet(Player1))
	SetGlobal("X#DrzztReappears","FW4200",1)
	Continue()
END

If you check for Drizzt he is actually in the area because of the Activate/Deacrivatre command. This is supposed to make it possible to hold locals in place on the .cre, so if other modders use Drizzt we will be compatible. I am rethinking this, as we seem to keep having problems with it, and simply destroy Drizzt after the original encounter and create our own X#DRIZZT clone who spawns offscreen and makes a beeline for the party. That may be our only option (this all works fine on my install, but seems to have a number of bug reports on others :D ).

Solutions to try, in order of preference, assuming you are starting from a save immediately after the Good Gnoll encounter:

1. Try simply CLUAConsole:Activate("drizzt") If everything worked, he should reappear wherever you last saw him, make a beeline for the party, and give you the journal.
  2. Try setting
    SetGlobal("X#DrzztReappears","FW4200",0)
    SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",5)
    SetGlobal("X#DztSearch","GLOBAL",1)
    in exactly that order. That should get him to fire the block.

No matter what, please .rar up the saves just prior to and during the problem, and send them to svowles at comcast dot net. I can then prospect through your game and see what went wrong, so I can fix it for everyone.

I am not sure about - if everything worked correctly, Drizzt should have moved away from the party to the southeast and then "disappeared" (Deactivated, leaving him in the area but not seen or able to be interacted with). Did this happen?

Yes it did happen, Drizzt went away and deactivated.

I am using Easy Tutu.

I must go away and test out the other stuff.

Nothing works. I tried everything cmorgan suggested, an still nothing achieved.

I keep getting this

Last tokan read:"# at line 1 in file (dostring) >> set global (whatever).

All the reports for the stuff you told me to type in, seem to have something to do with this. at line 1 in file (dostring) jargon.

:D:D:):p:p:D:)

By working from my pre-Beregost save, I've managed to restart the quest with Drizzt and it now works. Drizzt has come back and given me the journal.

But the old save though, it still doesn't work I think it's still stuck. I'll go and find out though, just in case.

It is indeed true that the old save is all wrong.

So wrong in fact, that I rested about 3 times, more than enough to put be over 24 hours and then I was found by the the female group of assasins and the supposadly dead Niara (the assasin that attacks you in the Naskel Inn).

That whole family of saves is messed up completely I figure. Fortunately their ancester save is alright, so salvation is at hand.

I think you lot would want to have by corrupt saves though. How exactly would I go about giving them to you. E-mail?

Yes please - send on the saves to svowles at comcast dot net retranslated into an email address!

Are Guest and Slayer of Cliffraces the same person? If so, glad it all worked - still not sure why it didn't work the first time. If you could send along your WeiDU.LOG and BG1NPC.DEBUG file too it would be great!

Yes please - send on the saves to svowles at comcast dot net retranslated into an email address!

Are Guest and Slayer of Cliffraces the same person? If so, glad it all worked - still not sure why it didn't work the first time. If you could send along your WeiDU.LOG and BG1NPC.DEBUG file too it would be great!

Yes Guest is me forgetting to add my own name to the top of the post.

I have the single problematic save file called Test (Test is what I call backup and experimental saves).

svowles at comcast dot net, is what exactly as an E-Mail adress?

It may be the problem is caused by leaving the area, I have left the area in my working game (having made a save at the point the good gnolls appear) and will try to come back in 48 hours time (it was 2 days not 1 day correct?). If Drizzt fails to appear, it is likely that the problem is caused by leaving the area.

Obviously such a bug is less likely to be picked up by testers, since a tester would just rest 7 times, while a serious gamer would use that 48 hours for other things involving moving to other areas.

I have more evidence now, that the problem is caused by leaving the area.

If you don't leave the area, the Drizzt will arrive in 48 hours. However if you leave the area, then Drizzt will never, ever turn up.

Even if you then return and wait 48 hours in the area. I've tried and I know.

The timer doesn't work universally, it requires the party to remain in the area. I now have evidence that this is the case.

The problem has not been reported before I think, beacause testers would tend just to sleep 7 times in a row.

Now the question is, how to sort the problem out. I know that the game has a universal timer, beacause the assasins follow this timer when they arrive to kill you wherever you are (as long as it isn't a city).

Is there some way to set Drizzt to work like the assasins, in 48 hours he will arrive to give you the journal, wherever you are. This would mean the party doesn't have to camp out for days, but Drizzt will find them and give them the journal.

The trigger would be Drizzt departure and the timer sets Drizzt to arrive in 48 hours and talk to the player, wherever in the world they may be.

Archived