Put this in Eirik's BAF:

IF

InParty(Myself)

PartyHasItem("_SCRLTAR")

Global("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",1)

RealSetGlobalTimer("ESScrollTimer","GLOBAL",15)

END

IF

InParty(Myself)

Global("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",1)

RealGlobalTimerExpired("ESScrollTimer","GLOBAL")

CombatCounter(0)

!See([ENEMY])

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",2)

StartDialogNoSet(Player1)

END

Then you can use

IF ~Global("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN BEGIN

as the first line of his dialog. That gives the player 15 seconds to read the scroll. Trust me, that's plenty of time. But make sure you advance the global to 3 or you're going to get this every time the player goes to PID Eirik.

...I set a timer to start the dialog a minute after the scroll appears in inventory... allows the pc to scoop up the loot without having the inventory slam shut and dialog start (like with Gorion's scroll).

Shoulda seen that - perhaps we need to move this to bugfixes for BG1 NPC?

@Eirik - the timer expiring while another dialogue is in progress will not have an effect on the current dialogue. At the end of the dialogue, the regular scripting kicks in and everything is reevaluated, so (the conditions having been met) the new dialogue becomes available afterwards.

I think it is worth expanding on what Kulyok is saying, too. While you and berelinde are both great at integrating with BG1 NPC, and you may even decide to make it impossible to install your mods *without* BG1 NPC (I can supply that code :D ) you should build your mods independently enough so that they do not actively mod the mod. Kulyok was presenting from the philosophical point of view: the original mod (BG1 NPC) author wrote out a set of dialogues, and also interjected into states. Changing these is not really good form, even though we do it to the original writers :p . From my standpoint, it makes practical sense to avoid modding specific BG1 NPC dialogues - berelinde mentioned the install order issue, and additionally what happens if BG1 NPC changes the way a particular interaction has to go for a bugfix? The most stable way of building your mod is to create new, additional conversations which use the same characters. You can certainly copy style and such - BG1 NPC is a set of modders interpretations of character, which we all three seem to like alot, but for both community and modding reasons it is much better to build separate dialogues and interject into vanilla Tutu states.

The good news is that unless you do smething special, I_T_C and I_C_T2 are designed to let you interject into vanilla states and let the original materials continue. It is an install issue for states being added to in what order, but having multiple nterjections is not a problem. Personally, I am intrigued by the conversational materials set up like berelinde and Jastey have done for the Rep Modification stuff (available on the wikki). I think the best way to make sure you get exactly what you want said over the wide array of InParty character combinations is to build CHAINs with conditions (even BG1 NPC ones, if you are going to demand, for example, that either BG1 NPC or even just the Branwen Romance component be installed) that play out your ideas. This is much simpler (in my opinion) than trying to outguess install order and state numbers on an install. It also makes your mod stronger cross-platform, and makes it much easier to troubleshoot. Most of all, it means that you are much less likely to trip over another modder's ideas. From a new user perspective, the new conversations will just seem part of the experience. For very jaded users, the new conversation is a breath of fresh air. Only other Tutu modders will know when you are interjecting into a conversation and when you are extending a new dialogue, and that is a good thing. then they can compliment you :)

This dialog occurs at the Nashkel Carnival, when Eirik first sees the statue: imagine your party is rounding the colored tents; you hear the gnome, "This way good sir!..."

Eirik: *A sudden look of horror comes upon his face* Branwen, Branwen!

/*Branwen's statue*/

Eirik: What madness or trickery is this? *touches her hand as he looks more closely on her* Did I not say to you: If you leave the shores of Norheim, beware? Alas that I spoke true!

PC: 1. I am sorry, Eirik. And I can do nothing to ease you. For I know the pain and emptiness of loss; and the hopelessness. Come! We cannot linger here. [to Avenged!]

2. Eirik, pull yourself together! The time for weeping is past. [to Avenged!]

/*A fey mood takes him*/

/*Avenged!*/

Eirik: *eyes blink through tears, he is speechless for a moment* No <CHARNAME>, I must remain. I will do without hope. At least she may yet be avenged! [Leaves party]

What happens next is problematic and there has been a lot of discussion on this already. I decided to leave Zeke's dialog as is. Eirik will be removed from the party at this point, leaving it up to the PC to rescue Branwen. He will not rejoin until the PC restores her, and only if she is invited along with him.

There are two reasons why I did it this way: 1) It's simple and 2) It doesn't change the original encounter.

[Edit:] Actually, there's a third reason: it also requires the player to help Eirik. Player interaction is a good thing.

It's a good idea, and it makes sense for Eirik to pretty much shed the party on sight of Branwen. It also lets the party nkow that there's a good chance that buying that scroll will be worth the money.

You might also want to allow Eirik to have some minor dialogues about Branwen here, perhaps allow access to some of his PIDs about Branwen, if you're planning on any.

Eirik: Long did I journey ere my hope become sight. What hope have I now? You mustn't linger here <CHARNAME>, but I must remain. At least I may yet be avenged.

Minor nit-picky goodness:

Eirik can't avenge himself, he can only avenge Branwen's petrification.

Change the last sentence to "You may yet be avenged!" and you're in business.

The PC learns how Eirik and Branwen first met:

Eirik: We were on an expedition northwards with our ships past Seawolf, and we put into harbor there, as the wind drove us back. A little way up the island dwelt the chieftain, and he bade us to a banquet with him and as many of our men as would.

PC: 1. I've read about your long ships, fast-sailing they are; yet no match for a strong gale. What happened at the banquet? [to Banquet]

2. Oh! I know! That's when you met... [to Patience]

3. *listen quietly* [to Banquet]

/*Patience*/

Eirik: Patience <PRO_MANWOMAN>! Where was I? Yes, the banquet...

/*Banquet*/

Eirik: Before the tables were put up, the chieftain said that the seats would be allotted there; that men and women should drink together as many as could, but those who were without companions should drink by themselves. Thus for the first time in the soft glow of the dining hall I beheld her: Branwen, she was named.

PC: 1. Ah, the friend, of whom you spoke? Who is she? What was she like? [to Questions]

2. Forget it. I grow tired of it already. [to EndTale]

3. Please, go on. [to PlaceOfHonor]

/*Questions*/

Eirik: Hold on; full of questions are we? I will answer... [to PlaceOfHonor]

/*EndTale*/

Eirik: As you wish. It is a pity, I have more to tell. Mayhap next time you will be more eager to listen. [End Dialog]

/*PlaceOfHonor*/

Eirik: Very fair was her face, and her tresses like gold. Slender and tall she was; but strong she seemed and stern, a daughter of the chieftain. The lot decreed that I should sit by her for the evening. She was going about the floor of the hall. But when all took their seats, she returned to her place and said to me:

'Take oft the seat of another?

Surely, first you consider ere

To wolf his flesh-banquet give.

Now, I bid you leave.

O'er raven harvest never heard

Grumble rudely the carrion crow?

Or went where edge of sword

In battle cut down foe?'

PC: 1. *smirk* A charming woman; what did you do? [to Sing]

2. If it makes you any happier, I have the same effect on the opposite sex. How did you react at first? [to Sing]

3. Ha! Did you turn tail and flee? [to Kinsman]

/*Kinsman*/

Eirik: Do you think me kinsman of a giant? No... [to Sing]

/*Sing*/

Eirik: I bade her sit down by me and sang:

'With oar-steed the foemen facing

My bird of bane hath followed:

Many an arrow hath sounded

The swift Northlanders' barrage.

Raged wrothfully our battle,

Ran warrior o'er foe's sea-wood;

Set many a pirate the wolf's food

Slain on the ship deck.'

We then drank together for the evening, and were right merry. The banquet was of the best, on that day and on the morrow. Then leaving to our ships, we parted in friendship and exchanged gifts.

You may not have envisioned Branwen as the daughter of a chieftain (warrior-noble), but it makes perfect sense to me. He may also be a Priest of Tempus; and in that environment her desire to become a member of the Battleguard would arise. It also gives her another reason to flee when rumors of her intentions start to surface.

Now you've got Branwen spouting poetry! :)

You're getting the hang of the alliteration and epitaphs, though. Somewhere in the mod you're going to have to call a bear a bee-wolf, though. And don't forget the custom of referring to a lord as a ring-giver, or better yet, a ring-breaker.

Grave-goods would sometimes include armbands of precious metal that bear transverse grooves to make them easier to break. When a cheiftain was pleased with someone, be he a bard or a warrior, he would give him a piece of his own jewelry. If he wasn't pleased enough to give him the whole armband, he'd break off a piece of it.

It looks nice, though (seeing how I was just thinking about suggestive humor, I'd avoid Eirik saying "I took her...") Also, if you are using tokens, I suggest that you use them properly from the start, ie

<PRO_MANWOMAN>, not <PROMAN/WOMAN>. It'll save you time down the road. The way you write it, it will be easy enough to code, but to speed up the process, you might want to avoid bolded out portions:

PC: 1. I've read about your long ships, fast-sailing they are; yet no match for a strong gale. What happened at the banquet? [to Banquet]

2. Perhaps you could skip the beginning and move on to the more interesting... [to Patience]

because it's hell on earth deleting all of them later in a coded text (I still find some in Valygar, LOL!)

and if it's all the same to you, you might get into a habit of surrounding each of your lines with tildas ~~ and replace [to Patience] with GOTO Patience. I mean you can do a Mass Replace of [to with ~ GOTO and subsequently replace all leftover ], but why create extra-work when you can do evertything off the bat, seeing how you already pretty much write D-structure?

It looks nice, though (seeing how I was just thinking about suggestive humor, I'd avoid Eirik saying "I took her...")

Context is everything. :hm:

Also, if you are using tokens, I suggest that you use them properly from the start, ie

<PRO_MANWOMAN>, not <PROMAN/WOMAN>. It'll save you time down the road.

Is there a list of tokens somewhere?

and if it's all the same to you, you might get into a habit of surrounding each of your lines with tildas ~~ and replace [to Patience] with GOTO Patience. I mean you can do a Mass Replace of [to with ~ GOTO and subsequently replace all leftover ], but why create extra-work when you can do evertything off the bat, seeing how you already pretty much write D-structure?

In other words, I should start coding. Yeah, I've been putting it off. :)

@berelinde: And Frodo was the ring-bearer. :)

Archived