BG1 Fixpack ?

Guest plainab

I did not think "once a day" was even implementable in BG1 for items.
I don't think so either. Not seen any vanilla/totsc items where that was implemented. Doesn't mean that the items can't be modified for such use in BGT or TuTu which is the case with that info quoted from IR earlier...

<rant> some people need to learn to read what a particular thread is discussing before bringing in irrelevant outside information -.- </rant>

Recharging probably exists in BG1. The item format isn't that different between the two games.
In subtle ways, the engine is different though, and I seem to recall recharging is one of many things that doesn't work in BG1. Might even be a post about it in the workroom by devSin or someone with something more definite.
IR has this to say about the ring:
Ring of Energy

Special Abilities (once per day):

Energy Blast: inflicts 2D6 points of magic damage to one target

Equipped Abilities:

Magic Damage Resistance: +25% bonus

Notes: I've only added the energy resistance.

Item Revisions changes the item from the original and as such can not and should not be used to describe the item in question when talking about an unmodified (barely modified) game that does not include the mod which this information comes from.

<rant> some people need to learn to read what a particular thread is discussing before bringing in irrelevant outside information -.- </rant>

Wow, get agitated much? As it seems you're not able to let this go, let me remind you that the original questions was "what is the deal with the Ring of Energy?" and "does it really have limited charges?". IR, as you so astutely points out, is a mod, but Demi notes the changes he's done to an item compared to vanilla; hence the quote I posted answered both questions. At least that was my understanding.

If it turns out that I still was mistaken, then *GASP* someone was wrong on teh interwebs!!1!

I just tested the XP thing with some black bears wandering around with blue circles.

If I wound one and it turns red and then I kill it, I get 175 exps.

If I butcher one with an overwhelming barrage while it is still blue, I get 17 exps.

So apparently, this is a universal behavior of the engine, not something related to Oberan. The game wants you to have fair fights apparently, and not assassinate creatures with blue circles.

So apparently, this is a universal behavior of the engine, not something related to Oberan. The game wants you to have fair fights apparently, and not assassinate creatures with blue circles.

sounds reasonable to me and to be honest i didn't really want to mess with trying to "fix" it

I'm not saying it's a problem. Just confirming it was not a display error. I had noticed at times it seemed to be truncating the last digit when showing experience and it only just occurred to me last night that it might actually be giving you a lot less experience for killing neutral beings.

Wow I just ran into a serious bug.

I decided to drop off my party in Ulgoth's Beard and do some grinding to level up my mage/thief/fighter. So I travelled here and there trying to encounter vampiric wolves, basilisks etc but they were just too hard to encounter even in the correct areas. So I decided to hunt the ever-plentiful wyverns and went to Cloakwood.

Well, sleeping in the wyvern cave is about a 90% chance or more of a wyvern waking you up. So I fought a ton of wyvern battles in there. The paralyzation wand, as usual, failed every time (never seen that wand actually work, the wyverns were saving on a 9 despite the -4 the wand supposedly has) and it got used up. So I decided to try the polymorph wand for a change.

To my surprise it worked, and a wyvern turned into a squirrel. I took out my dagger and walked over and killed it. It promptly turned into the corpse of a wyvern, which kind of surrounded me since I had been in melee with the tiny squirrel.

Then I discovered I could not move out of the area where the corpse was. I could take about one step in each direction and that was it. I was stuck. The cursor showed the entire area as remaining playable, yet I could not move out of it. There was some kind of invisible barrier that did not show up when I moved the cursor over it, but my character absolutely could not move outside the area where the corpse appeared.

So I slept and was awoken by wyverns, again and again. They flew all around me but could not attack me because of this unseen barrier. Luckily I had a large supply of arrows and was able to kill them. The unplayable area did not prevent missile fire. The corpse eventually disappeared after a number of sleep attempts, but I still could not get out of the "pocket" in the middle of the floor. Note my character was not "glued" to one spot, as I recall happening in some past game with an area glitch (BG? Diablo? can't remember) where it was possible to end up on an unplayable pixel or something and be unable to move. I could move, but the area in which I could move was only about one character circle in radius.

After many wyvern killings from the safety of the pocket I leveled up enough to be able to use 4th level spells and selected Dimension Door. Then I had to kill a bunch more wyverns as I attempted to get 8 hours' sleep so I could use the spell. Finally I got a night's sleep and cast it. I was able to teleport across the room to the stairs. After that I could move normally - in most of the room.

I tried walking around. I could not walk into the "pocket" despite the cursor showing it and the area around it as being walkable. When I walked to the other side of the room, my character took a wide detour around this invisible force field area. It was all very strange. Eventually I collected some wyvern heads and left the cave, glad at least I did not have to reload and lose all that grinding. Had I run out of arrows before being able to level up and then "sleep on" Dimension Door, which I just happened to have bought/found earlier in the game, the game would have come to an end and I would have been forced to go back to an earlier save.

I suspect it is a bug related to the polymorph wand/polymorph other spell, and what happens when a polymorphed creature is killed.

Edited by chuft

I should note I just another bug, which I had earlier, in Sorcerous Sundries. I could not initiate a dialog with either of the two guys in there. This happened before, as well, before the whole wyvern thing, when Viconia couldn't talk to the shop owner. Eventually she could, after I switched control around to different characters or something and then she could talk to the shopkeeper. This time I was alone and my character couldn't talk to anybody in there. I left the store and then went back in and everything was fine.

not sure if it is related to the polymorph itself but rather the fact that the foot print of the squirrel it turned into being much smaller than the foot print of the wyvern. The game engine can misbehave in all sorts of unpredictable ways when two or more characters are on the same point. An issue in Icewind Dale comes to mind...

I bet if you had saved the game and reloaded the problem might have gone away, as that too would most likely have cleared the dead body and the foot print. Did you try going back in after leaving the cave to see if that spot was still blocked off?

now i'm not too sure how the saving throws and stuff go, but if that polymorph worked real easy and it has the same save vs wands but no bonus. I'm thinking that the -4 bonus on the save vs wands on the paralyzation wand actually is a help for the target rather than the boost to the wand as you thought. tho idk for sure.

I'd almost say to test out the paralyzation wand by slowly adjusting the -4 bonus towards 0 and making a note of how it behaves in game. It's the only wand with a - bonus on the saving throw....

I'd almost say to test out the paralyzation wand by slowly adjusting the -4 bonus towards 0 and making a note of how it behaves in game. It's the only wand with a - bonus on the saving throw....
Paralysis has a built-in IDS requisite; I'd make sure it's not set to HUMANOID (which would prevent it from affecting wyverns, even if they did fail their save).

The negative value should affect the roll correctly (you need to roll a value >= your save, and the bonus is applied to your roll before then, so you have to roll four greater to save than you otherwise would).

Recharging probably exists in BG1. The item format isn't that different between the two games.
This is a simple flag IIRC, not part of the format. Undefined bit in BG/TotSC from what I remember. Edited by devSin
Paralysis has a built-in IDS requisite; I'd make sure it's not set to HUMANOID (which would prevent it from affecting wyverns, even if they did fail their save).
you'll have to explain where to look because i could not find any references to an IDS on the stun effect used in the wand of paralyzation.

The negative value should affect the roll correctly (you need to roll a value >= your save, and the bonus is applied to your roll before then, so you have to roll four greater to save than you otherwise would).
chuft said they were rolling 9, the wyvern in the cave he was in have a natural save vs wand of 6 so they'd need to roll a 10 or better to save else they'd fail and get stunned/paralyzed. So why then were they not getting paralyzed? If it is something IDS related, where do we find that info at? DLTCEP and NI aren't showing anything...

I don't have any of the games to look at; if it's not in the effect (in NI), then it doesn't have a check. Stun does not have an IDS limiter (they only did it for the Paralysis/Hold effect and Charm, I think), so if that's what the wand uses, then that won't be the issue.

You could check if they're immune to stun (or he has some mod that changes their attributes); I wouldn't worry about the reported rolls in any case.

Well I tried another Wand of Paralyzation on Hurgan Stoneblade and got him on something like 4 tries out of 5. I don't know what level he is, but 8th level Kagain has a Wand saving throw of 7, presumably with the same dwarven modifiers as Hurgan Stoneblade. It took 84 damage to kill him so he is probably a fairly high level dwarf.

Do NPC Dwarves get the racial saving throw bonuses? I used the wand on him on multiple reloads and he only made his save once.

I sent the party to Cloakwood and got waylaid by some wyverns. Both Edwin and my character were blasting away with Wands of Paralyzation. I think out of 8 or 9 tries we got one wyvern stunned.

So they do work on wyverns, but it seems much harder than it should be. In my cave battles the wand was entirely used up without ever paralyzing a wyvern. Didn't seem like it had very many charges.

Anybody know how many charges the paralyzation wands in the store have vs the one you find in the cave?