BG1 Fixpack ?

Guest plainab

Hello!

I hope I'm not diggin' this topic out of the grave, lest it needs reanimation! :thumbsup:

How's the fixpack going? Do you need any testers? I hear you have a workroom about ...

Also, would you say this fixpack is the most complete fixpack for bg1, as compared to baldurdash's and ... the other one ... umm ... didley-doodley's? Can it be applied to easytutu?

I've been to sasha's webpage. I reckon that is the latest fixpack version still, yes?

Ttyl, when I see someone is still alive (or undead) here.

Greets

Edited by FixTesteR

Hi FixTesteR, sorry for the late reply (and welcome to the forums!). Unfortunately, the fixpack is dormant currently, and worse, there doesn't seem to exist a true listing of which fixes are included. As far as I understand, the Baldurdash and Dudleyville's are not included, but I am not the one who aould know. Last time I asked, plainab didn't remember himself what fixes are included now and some seem to be removed again or disappeared by some other means.

Sorry for my destructive pessimism but I fear the fixpack would need a good overhaul. Best also including the known fixes from the available fixpacks.

Hi FixTesteR, sorry for the late reply (and welcome to the forums!). Unfortunately, the fixpack is dormant currently, and worse, there doesn't seem to exist a true listing of which fixes are included. As far as I understand, the Baldurdash and Dudleyville's are not included, but I am not the one who aould know. Last time I asked, plainab didn't remember himself what fixes are included now and some seem to be removed again or disappeared by some other means.

Sorry for my destructive pessimism but I fear the fixpack would need a good overhaul. Best also including the known fixes from the available fixpacks.

You can see the list in his website (see plainab's signature). From what I can tell, most of the baldurdash are included except only Aldeth and Biff the Understudy fix and 2 minor exploit fixes. There are quite a few more fix other than the baldurdash one. So arguably it's more complete than Baldurdash IMHO.

Good news!

I've decided to come back and work on the fixpack once again.

After I get myself re-familiarized with the current state of the fixpack and make an initial check against various sources of bugs & other issues (baldurdash, dudley, BGT's developer documentation, any info I can drudge up on EasyTuTu's fixes/changes, etc...), I'll be releasing a new version for player feedback. No set date at this time, tho I'd like to see it out before October is over.

I've noticed that +1 Large Shields do not take on their character's outfit color, but instead are all a dull tan. If you set the character's colors in the Inventory display with the shield equipped, it temporarily takes on the color you set, but reverts back on the play screen and also next time you are in Inventory it is tan again. So you have to choose between a point of AC or a nice looking matching shield.

I've noticed that +1 Large Shields do not take on their character's outfit color, but instead are all a dull tan. If you set the character's colors in the Inventory display with the shield equipped, it temporarily takes on the color you set, but reverts back on the play screen and also next time you are in Inventory it is tan again. So you have to choose between a point of AC or a nice looking matching shield.

I don't think that is a fixable thing, each shield sets colors to specific parts of the shield so that those colors are forced visible on the sprite character. There can be up to four colors assigned on the shields. The +1 large shields assign all four locations. The paper doll animation is the same for ALL large shields. That said, it is my theory that color locations which are not assigned will take on either the major or minor color assigned to the character.

One could test removing the colors from a given item and see if it retains the player's assigned major/minor colors on the game map as well as in the paperdoll. BUT that is in the realm of tweaks and not fixes. I feel that the shields and weapons were assigned specific colors to show variety and diversity within the game world.

I don't think I am following you. I have two characters with large shields. The mundane shields they were using look different from each other in the store and in the inventory (one is tan and one is black), but on the paper doll and on the game play screen they take on the colors of the characters. Both of them do this even though they look different from each other in the store/in the inventory.

When they bought magic shields, both of their shields changed to a tan color and look identical to each other instead of being the character's color like their old mundane shields did. So the mundane large shields (of which I have found 3 varieties) all take on the character's color. The magic +1 large shields do not, they are just tan, and they all look the same instead of before where they each looked different due to the characters having different colors.

In short, it decreases visual variety, not increases it. I think it's a bug for magic shields to be ugly and all look the same while mundane shields change color to match the character and look cool.

It sounds like timing mode. A lot of the color modifiers on items have instant/limited timing, so they don't persist outside the inventory interface (I'd be surprised if we didn't patch these in BG1UB, since we did some simple fixes there). (And still others were set to be dispelled.)

I know we patch a lot of files in the BG2 fixpack because of this crap.

Edited by devSin
It sounds like timing mode. A lot of the color modifiers on items have instant/limited timing, so they don't persist outside the inventory interface (I'd be surprised if we didn't patch these in BG1UB, since we did some simple fixes there). (And still others were set to be dispelled.)

I know we patch a lot of files in the BG2 fixpack because of this crap.

I am using Unfinished Business and it still happens.

I don't think I am following you. I have two characters with large shields. The mundane shields they were using look different from each other in the store and in the inventory (one is tan and one is black), but on the paper doll and on the game play screen they take on the colors of the characters. Both of them do this even though they look different from each other in the store/in the inventory.

When they bought magic shields, both of their shields changed to a tan color and look identical to each other instead of being the character's color like their old mundane shields did. So the mundane large shields (of which I have found 3 varieties) all take on the character's color. The magic +1 large shields do not, they are just tan, and they all look the same instead of before where they each looked different due to the characters having different colors.

In short, it decreases visual variety, not increases it. I think it's a bug for magic shields to be ugly and all look the same while mundane shields change color to match the character and look cool.

all large shields have the same equipped appearance: D4 - Large shield (as reported by NI)

all large shields have distinct and different looking inventory/store icons to tell them apart

all large shields can have up to four distinct areas with pre-assigned colors, any location not pre-assigned will take on the specific character's color(s).

I'll make it clearer with screenshots and file info on one mundane shield and one magic shield. All the others follow this same principle/pattern.

mundane shield: shld18.itm

mundaneshield3.jpg

why does this happen?

Shield body/trim set to Color index 98

Shield hub set to Color index 100

Shield interior auto picks up character color because it is not overridden by any item effect opcodes

Shield panel auto picks up character color because it is not overridden by any item effect opcodes

magic shield: shld06.itm

magicshield3.jpg

why does this happen?

Shield body/trim set to Color index 30

Shield hub set to Color index 7

Shield interior set to Color index 27

Shield panel set to Color index 8

NOTE: DLTCEP is not up to date with regards to value 33 in the location field. NearInfinity defines it as shield interior.

There is no bug. The magic shield is completely colored with bioware predefined colors.

Do note that when you can get the +2 large shield there are only 3 of the 4 colors predefined, so you will get a bit of player color on that item.

As I said before, there is no fix here. Doesn't mean that there can't be a tweak of some kind created, perhaps reassigning more vibrant and bright colors instead of having a naturalistic wood/metallic look...

You can look at it in this way... the character using the mundane shield made it or painted it to their liking. The magic shields being infused with magic don't allow any paint or coloring to be applied. They are stuck with the color they had when infused with magic... :cool:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. But I still think it's a bug. Why would there be three different looking mundane large shields for sale, with different colored interior panels on the inventory art, when all of them change to your character's color when you equip them? That doesn't make any sense. Why not just have one mundane large shield if you are going to have it become the character's color?

If the tan magic shield thing was deliberate, then I think it was a terrible design decision. More likely, they forgot to color in the three mundane shields so they match their inventory appearance, but as it happens this results in better looking shields in-game.

I guess I will make a Tweak request for this if you don't regard it as a bug. If you can tell me how to mod the magic shield file myself to make it take on the character's color, though, I would be happy with that. :cool:

Not sure what tools you are using to look at these fields and values for items. I am familiar with hex editors. Can you tell me how to make magic shields change colors like mundane shields?