Tough life being a "foreigner"...

Garfield

and just like France, it tends to pay more attention to the major players on the international stage

So true. I remember in my last year of high school, in our geography curriculum we had "USA","Russia","Japan" and "Germany".

But there is still a difference with Great Britain. Young French are more and more supporting the EU, while young Brits (at least 90% of those I talked to) at best feel indifferent to Europe.

Teacher: What was the aim of the French revolution?

Student: Wasn't it some kind of bourgeois power thingo?

Me: :hm:

Heh.
Do anyone have similar experience to share? Have you ever lived out of your own country (and subsequently felt...foreign :) )?
I worked in Venezuela half a year. That was pretty foreign. The whole country had a power outage for over a day and that wasn't considered too unusual. A co-worker's girlfriend got mugged for her watch in broad daylight in the Hilton car park. Also did a few years in Ireland which wasn't all that foreign, all things considered. They like to drink and no one knows how to drive. A lot like... well, lots of places. :p Then there are places in the U.S. that are more foreign than anywhere else I've been. Like a county fair I went to in Wisconsin once. Do you know there are people there that wear styrofoam cheeses on their heads? :)

Britain has a lot of things which make me happy, and a lot of things which make me very annoyed. On balance I don't know whether to stay or emigrate--I imagine a lot of the irritating things are true the world over. :)

The best thing when you have lived in more than one country is that after a certain time, the country you were in before(A) will seem all beautiful compared to the one you're in at the moment(B). Which will automatically reverse when you leave B for A :)

The best thing when you have lived in more than one country is that after a certain time, the country you were in before(A) will seem all beautiful compared to the one you're in at the moment(B).
It will? I must've missed something. :) It just seemed bizarre and strange (even more so than the "foreign" countries I was in).
The best thing when you have lived in more than one country is that after a certain time, the country you were in before(A) will seem all beautiful compared to the one you're in at the moment.

Heh, it depends on the country. I still have nightmares of the 'good old country'. :)

In various conversations with both non Californians in person and people online through IM.

Them: Do you know any movie stars?

Me: No.

Them: But you live in California.

Me: So?

Them: Well...

Me: And...no.

Them: So whats it like having the Terminator as a governor?

Me: The same as it is having some dusty old man as a governor.

Them: I bet you go to the beach every day.

Me: Actually, no. The closest beach is 40 minutes away.

Them: You don't talk like you're from California.

Me: And what does a Californian sound like?

Them: You know.....they say "like" every 5 seconds and "Dude" and "Tubular".

Me: Apart from the occasional "Dude", I'm not sure I fit your idea of a Californian.

Them: You must be a liar then.

Me: I am, I apologize.

Them: You mod computer games?!

Me: (sigh) Yes.

Them: You don't look like you would.

Me: I really don't care what you think.

Them: Is it a L3sb0 .MOD?

Me: (Runs away)

Hah, I've never been outside of my country for a long time, so I can't add anything worthy to this discussion... Though I find it most amusing. Especially the part:

Anyhow, amusingly enough, in UK many people didn't really seem to have a clue where Finland was (or that it even existed)

I nearly fell of my chair after reading that... But I guess that this idea is so shoking to me, because Finland lies noticeably closer to Poland than to UK, so it's really unlikely for someone from here to not now when do Finland lies XD. Actually, you've been lucky to not met anyone like me - you'd be flooded with questions, especially about the suomi language and, of course, Helsinki - I always wanted to go there! Hopefully some day I will. (and then I'll come to g3 forums to tell you how do Finns treat foreignersXD)

I remember in my last year of high school, in our geography curriculum we had "USA","Russia","Japan" and "Germany".

Consider yourself lucky then, Garfield. Really, really lucky... While I am indeed interested in foreign cultures and world exploring I really HATED geography till the very end... I still find our teacher requirments to be ridiculous and unnecessary. *sigh* I know, I know, knowledge is really important.. But I like to do things on my own, and chose when to do what. And when to learn what. There are many things I find more important/interesting than learning, for example, *every single* (even the smallest ones, and not so popular as Liechtenstein) country, its capital and colonys. So, I doknow what Reunion is and where it lies. But I do not rejoice over it.

Archived