berelinde is having a bad day

berelinde

It started around 6 this morning when I woke up to feed the dog and remembered why I didn't need to do that anymore :(

I thought I'd try out my shiny new Gavin alpha v 0.6 alongside a couple other mods, and ran into some trouble with a new version of a mod (& got scolded for mis-diagnosing the problem :hm: ). Somewhere along the way, my installation that took about 6 hours to build, including a tp2 rebuild for a mod that *wasn't* Gavin, got completely hosed and all my item and cre files are corrupted. :p Jaheira's alignment is given as Mace +1. Poking through my override folder with NI is like opening up all those containers with mottled contents in the *way* back of the refrigerator. :) Fortunately, half of them won't even open.

*And* I discover that in an ill-advised copy-and-paste session, I'd copied a lot of modified CREs into my mod folder. :)

So, off I went to go get my CREs of last week's backup CD: retrieved about half, found the all the rest but one elsewhere on the hard drive. Couldn't retrieve one off the CD because it just won't copy, and can't find it elsewhere on the HD. So, gotta remake that one from scratch. It's just one CRE. Not a big deal.

No way am I making up a new CRE with an override this trashed. So, blow away the old override, dialog.tlk, etc, and remember that my clean install backup was for the August2006 release of EasyTutu. :p So I swear a lot and uninstall Tutu.

Except that I look at my ToB CD, and see lots and lots of tiny little pockmarks all around the edge on the silvery side. Looks like Puck was doing a little digital encryption of his own. :D Ah, well. I've probably got another floating around somewhere.

So here it is, twelve hours after I woke up, and the day that I'd planned to spend relaxing and playing a little Tutu is completely shot, and I still have to make another CRE, but I can't because I just blew away Tutu! :p

So, I'm pouring myself a large brandy, and I'm going to reinstall everything all over again. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get 15 minutes gaming in before I have to go to bed.

I know bitching registering my complaint isn't likely to do any good.

Modding has its good days, too, like when you hold your breath all the way through an installation that includes ~5000 new lines and don't get any parsing errors. I couldn't believe that one. That was yesterday.

*hugs* I remember that day when I discovered that I have to go through hundreds of entries in debug checking the original dialogues because of ICT/ICT2 problem. Manually.

Just remember: morning is wiser than evening! Good night!

I know bitching registering my complaint isn't likely to do any good.

Modding has its good days, too, like when you hold your breath all the way through an installation that includes ~5000 new lines and don't get any parsing errors. I couldn't believe that one. That was yesterday.

Trouble always brings friends to the party. Especially if you had a good day before. :)

Except that I look at my ToB CD, and see lots and lots of tiny little pockmarks all around the edge on the silvery side. Looks like Puck was doing a little digital encryption of his own. :hm: Ah, well. I've probably got another floating around somewhere.

If I'm reading that right and those scratches are on the bottom of the CD (the side where the silver shows), you should be able to get the CD fixed, at least. My brother came off his motorbike and had a CD go skidding accross a road and it still came up clean as a whitsle.

You *did* name him Puck, remember :)

blah on the bad day - and if you need a secondary offsite backup, I volunteer to swap spaces. Toss me an archive backup, and I will put it up. I upload a copy to the alpha site each time I start a modding session, because I remember hosing over 40 hours of work this past summer by a misapplied find/replace routine, which I copied dutifully into all of my local copy backup places beore going to bed, therefore writing over all the backups...

The good news is that there is always a tomorrow to get it right :) (Or, of course, if pessimism is the key, there might *not* be a tomorrow - to which I say "cool - we get to hit the Ultimate Gaming Room :hm: ).

And apparently, my bad day continues! I have everything all nice and organized (I think). I've made a web-page that looks kind of nice, I have everything all packaged and ready to go, but I can't access my damned website! Why? I don't know! The passwords and everything are all right. I've used it before. I don't know why now would cause me so much grief. 'Sides, if I could just upload the darned thing, and wouldn't have to worry about whether or not my computer was being flaky.

Darned ISP.

Anyway, this is what the top part of the webpage looks like.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of fond of the way it turned out. I love making up webpages, though, collecting little bits and pieces of things and making it into something. The background was an edit of some tile samples at a hardware store, the knotwork border was originally part of a stenciled apron, the mahogany download/readme/npc guide buttons at the bottom (which you can't see, no matter how much you hit the scroll buttons on the picture) were from a picture of a desk.

Yes, and I can log on to it, but there aren't any directions, and I can't figure out how to upload anything. There's supposed to be some sort of wizard, but I can click the "next" button all day and nothing happens. I think my computer hates me.

At least I know how to work the hostfor2bucks account (had it longer and it doesn't make you go through any wizards, you just put your stuff up, and it's up, simple as that). Just got to be able to get onto the control panel!

Archived