contingency & chain contingency bug

Fast reply was broken for a bit yesterday (as was Quick Edit) when I first updated the spam filter, but should be working now. If you're getting the error every time it's a bug on the skin I need to fix; if it's sporadic then you're trying to use a banned word.

I didn't use Fast reply, just the good old regular reply, and I didn't get any message about any banned words or such. I uploaded my save game that has this second bug to a website (maybe that website is considered banned?) Anyway, I've sent the entire post to your email.

I was getting the error everytime, so I'm guessing it has to be a bug on the skin. Speaking of bugs, looks we just found another little bugger :rant:

Gort, you could be right, although I forgot to mention that you have to press and release the spacebar in a certain pattern to find it, so maybe even the PAUSE feature is somehow related to it.

I didn't use Fast reply, just the good old regular reply, and I didn't get any message about any banned words or such. I uploaded my save game that has this second bug to a website (maybe that website is considered banned?) Anyway, I've sent the entire post to your email.

Yes, you were being caught by the bad word filter--check my reply.

I've amended the error messages to be more useful. If you get caught by the bad word filter, it'll now tell you what words/phrases are tripping it.

Ok, here is the other bug that I was talking about. I've installed some Weidu mods, but I guarantee it has nothing to do them. I've encountered this bugger for a long time now ever since TOB was released, so I know it has nothing to do with mods. Anyway, just to make sure, I copied over my Save game to a new vanilla BG2-TOB install (i.e BG2 + TOB + official TOB patch) and it still happens.

And as I said before, this bug is hard to reproduce so I'm trying to be as detailed as I can. I also uploaded my Save game in this post if anyone wants to quickly try it out (and skip all the following steps).

Things you'll need:

- a character that is partly damaged (i.e make sure he/she doesn't have full health).

- bind your Quick Load function to a key (for example, 'L')

- a Blur spell/scroll, DUHM innate ability (haven't tried with the priest spell but it probably won't make any difference and I'm too lazy to try and find out). I'm still not sure if these two spells have anything to do with the bug at all, but this usually happens when these spells are cast.

Now you just have to do the following steps:

1. First damage your character to some extent (let's say half of his HP is gone).

2. Cast Blur. Then cast Draw Upon Holy Might innate ability (although I guess the cleric spell wouldn't make any difference).

3. Do a Quick-Save. Just don't pause the game until I say otherwise.

4. Make sure the game is in an UNPAUSED state. Now do a Quick Load (press the 'L' key) and then immediately press the spacebar.

5. You'll see the 'Clearing Game Data' and 'Loading Game' screens. Since you press the spacebar earlier, the game is now in a PAUSED state. So when the 'Loading Game' screen clears and you're back into the game, you should now see PAUSED at the bottom.

6. Now do another Quick Load and then immediately press the spacebar. You would think that because you were in a PAUSED state, and now that you pressed the spacebar, the game would unpause itself so when the 'Loading Game' screen clears, and you're back into the game, you would expect the game to be unpaused, right? Well, not really. This is where things go wrong. The game is STILL in a paused state (you should see PAUSED at the bottom). Maybe this is probably causing the bug?

7. Anyway, now press the spacebar again to UNPAUSE it. You should now see your character HP jump to full health instantly.

If doing the above steps did not work, then do a Quick load, wait a few seconds, then do a Quick Save, and do steps 4-7.

If you still can't get it, then it means you're not doing something right (or I'm not explaining the steps correctly, although I'm trying to).

Just download my save game from here (304 KB)

Then do the following steps. You can also try this on a clean BG2 + TOB + official patch install if you want.

1. Start the game, load my Quick Save. As usual, the game would would load into an UNPAUSED state. Just ignore all the items on the ground. I just dropped them to make sure this bug is not related to any particular item. Keep an eye on the PC's hit points.

2. Now do a Quick Load, and then immediately press the spacebar. When the game loads and you're back into a PAUSED state, check the PC's HP. Now, press the spacebar again to unpause it. Notice any difference in HP?

3. If not, wait a few seconds, then PAUSE the game and do step 2. Rinse and repeat until you see a drastic change in the PC's HP. You WILL find this bug eventually.

Archived