Grendel

Miloch

I went to the afternoon matinée to watch the latest Beowulf. The opening is faithful to the story: Grendel appears a towering ugly Troll, and attacks the mead hall, driven mad by all the merry-making. But that's where the similarity ends. There were a couple of nice touches to the movie. Robin Penn-Wright ("Jenny" in Forrest Gump) plays Queen Wealhtheow, who sings a couple of folk songs accompanied by harp and flute. She has a very soothing voice, like a calm before the storm. Another scene later in the movie depicts a skald retelling the slaying of Grendel. Overall, though, the movie wasn't all that inspiring.

Angela Jolie? (spoiler below) BTW, this is actually a modest picture, compared to the way she appears in the movie.

* SPOILER *

No, see, that's where they depart from the telling; she is a demon, grendel is her spawn. Can you guess who his father is?

Clueless eh? :p Okay, I'll give you a hint.
Well, I was just being facetious, really. I don't really need to know. Plus, I think I've seen the spoiler previously, not that it was much of one... I don't think there's a whole lot of new concepts here. Anyway, if I was dying for more, I guess I'd go see the movie. Though due to the lacklustre reviews, I'm probably not going to run out to the theatres. I'll probably wait for the DVD, which probably won't be long, and might even be cheaply found in the bins at the local supermarket when it does arrive, with the rest of the cheesy B movies. :p

Why do directors feel the need to mess with perfectly good epics? Especially when so many before them have failed miserably... you think they'd get a clue.

Funny. It seems to be getting above-average reviews (IMDB: 7/10, Rottentomatoes: 6.9/10), not for being a faithful adaptation of the classic, but for being a 'provocative, brutal, imaginative' action movie. While maybe not true to its namesake, that's not a bad place to be.

Funny. It seems to be getting above-average reviews (IMDB: 7/10, Rottentomatoes: 6.9/10), not for being a faithful adaptation of the classic, but for being a 'provocative, brutal, imaginative' action movie. While maybe not true to its namesake, that's not a bad place to be.

I haven't read the original poem in over ten years, so I didn't walk into the theater expecting a faithful adaptation. I don't do that at all, really, with any movie or TV series (though "The Dresden Files" did make me start to gnash my teeth a bit).

I just found the movie to be rather boring in and of itself.

Well, I was just being facetious, really.
I was never good at it. Sorry.
I don't really need to know. Plus, I think I've seen the spoiler previously, not that it was much of one... I don't think there's a whole lot of new concepts here.
The whole plot centers around the relationship between Grendel's mother and king Hrothgar; which is somewhat reminiscent of Morgan le Fay and King Arthur. Like you said: it's been done before.

I went to see Beowulf last weekend. I was not impressed. In fact, we almost got up and walked out. :p
What kept you from walking?

Archived