AreaCheck("FW2800")
See([PC])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("ESTalkedToWolf","GLOBAL",1)
	PlaySound("eshowl")
	MoveViewObject(Myself,INSTANT)
	CreateCreature("WOLF01",[x1.y1],0) // Wolf
	ActionOverride("WOLF01",ChangeAIScript("None",RACE))
	DisplayString(Myself,~Listen! The wind howls with wolf-voices, draw your blades!~)
	ActionOverride("WOLF01",MoveToPoint([x2.y2]))
	DisplayString(Myself,~Flee hound! Though your belly be empty, flee if you value your wretched hide! Or I shall run you through!~)
	ActionOverride("WOLF01",Attack("Eirik"))
END

IF
Dead("WOLF01") // Wolf
See([PC])
NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
END

IF
!Dead("WOLF01") // Wolf
See("WOLF01")
Detect([PC])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	AttackNoSound("WOLF01")
	Wait(1)
	Kill("WOLF01")
END

His dialog file would begin as follows:

BEGIN eseirik

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN PCEirikChat1.0
SAY ~The days grow more dangerous and the creatures of this wood seem restless. Who are you, and what are you doing on this barren road?~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Our names and our business are our own, and this does not seem a good place to discuss them.~ GOTO Chat1.1

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I am called <CHARNAME>. I came by the west road and make my way to the Friendly Arm Inn.~ GOTO Chat1.2

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We have been warned of the dangers lurking in the wood. Who are you?~ GOTO Chat1.6

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~If there be danger lurking in the wood, I assure you that we are more than able to handle it.~ GOTO Chat1.9
END

If the npc is not in the party I would prefer DisplayStringHead(), if in party either will do though I think the norm during a cutscene would be to use the dialog box. Since cutscenes are generally used for slightly longer dialogs its easier and quicker to use the dialog box.

Do area checks differ between tutu and bgt? Do I need to worry about both at this point? (currently for Tutu).

Absolutely. You will need to worry about both. That's why I'm developing it on Tutu, getting the kinks out, and then worrying about traification and BGT. It's going to need completely different BAFs and Ds, so I figure I might as well wait until everything works, because I don't want to have to fix too many bugs in two different sets of files.

Archived