Requests for BG1 *contains SPOILERS*

berelinde

(Some information from behind the scenes: One Xan-Gavin banter is ready! :) )

One thing I admire in Gavin is tolerance: he would romance a PC of any race. But, except for a long talk about the difference in the lifespans, he doesn't touch on PC's race, much. (I remember, Dynaheir's romance has some extra touches for elven and half-orcish characters, and it left a great impression). So, I wonder: will we see some lines for a gnomish/dwarfish character, and especially for a half-orc, who's probably never had any love at all? Maybe a player-initiated banter "Gavin, I want to thank you..." or "Gavin, I've been wondering how you feel about my race"?

Hmm. Not a bad idea. I'll have to put that in there, because there certainly hasn't been anything special for gnomes, dwarves or half-orcs before.

And Gavin would be very aware of existing prejudice and would be inclined to compensate, at least a little bit.

I have another idea, which is actually something that bothered me ever since I first played Baldur's Gate. That cursed girdle of masculinity/femininity... players should be accountable for sticking it on their NPCs, or at the very least the NPCs should notice.

Maybe you could stick an easter egg banter in there for the mischievous (like me) who can't resist testing out the more harmless of the cursed items. Hey, I always dispel them later.

Or maybe you could work it in so that if Gavin and the PC have reached a certain level of intimacy and the PC is hanging on to the girdle, Gavin accidentally grabs it instead of his usual belt when he gets dressed in the morning... and hilarity ensues, or something... Mwahaha... :)

Flarn

He already does react to the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity.

Spoilers ahead:

Gavin: ~Oh, very funny. Although I should be thankful for the opportunity to experience life as a woman, I am having a difficult time reconciling my sense of identity with my new body. Next time we're in town, can we get this removed?~

Edwin: ~A tremendous improvement, if you ask me. (Although, I note that no one has. No matter. They are clearly deficient in wisdom, or they would have me leading the party instead of that fool <CHARNAME>.)~

Minsc: ~Where did Gavin go?~

Imoen: ~Tee, hee! Ya look good as a girl, Gavin. Too bad about that nose, though.~

Jaheira: ~If you are done playing, children, we have work to do.~

(Although Domi is right: Shar-Teel should say something here. Just have to figure out what.)

And then when it is removed: ~I'm a man again! Thank the gods! Lathander bless you, <CHARNAME>, I was not put on Toril to be a woman. The obsession about my complexion was bad enough, but the bloating was impossible!~

Just so you know: Gavin will neither flirt nor conduct his romance in any other way while he is a woman. He will, however, respond to PID normally. I figured if the PC wants to start something, Gavin would cooperate.

I personally would like him to actually, well, discuss doing his quests with me and the rest of the party.

After we talk to the high priest guy, Gavin always says that he will have to talk it over with <charname> and the others, but he...umm...doesn't. Maybe he does if you leave the quest for a long period of time? However, I was looking more for something along the lines of...

"<charname>, you heard what high priest iforgetname said. Would you mind if we looked into Mutamin? I know you probably had something else in mind for us next, but it is really important to me that I complete this task"

+Charname responses ranging from sure to up yours, and could include interjections from other party members as well

Edit by berelinde: CODED

I had thought about this, but I didn't want the player to feel rushed about doing the quests. Taking on Bassilus and Mutamin can be challenging enough when the party is higher level. And my 4th level party got decimated by the third quest first time I tested it. If you've got SCS installed, Bassilus and Mutamin are even tougher.

Perhaps a better compromise might be to have him talk about it, but urge the PC that there is no rush. He told Ormlyr that they'd talk about it, but he didn't make any promises.

He's never going to remind the PC about them, though. I wanted it to be possible for the party to skip the quests entirely if the player didn't feel like doing them. Having him nag the PC about it doesn't lend itself to that. So, I'll see about a non-forcible discussion, but no reminders.

Maybe, after Gavin talks to the priest, he immediately talks with the PC: "Hey, what do you think?", but doesn't pressure him/her into anything? And, after the quest is done, maybe they could discuss it a little. Or just delete the mention of talking to PC about it, if he is not going to.

By the way, a small thing: BGavLT17

+ ~OR(3) Global("X#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3) Global("X#XARomanceActive","GLOBAL",3) Global("CoranRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~I thought I was... but I was mistaken.~ EXTERN ~B!GAVINJ~ BGavLT17.2

- I think the romance check is not necessary here; ethics aside, PC could have been in love with someone else, not necessarily these three.

Edit by berelinde: both suggestions are now CODED

Yeah, you're right. I thought I got that one, but I missed it accidentally. I intended that option to be available if the party was entirely female, so file it under careless editing.

There were two there, that one, and another after. Lost them both.

Edit: I think he's going to talk about each quest immediately afterward, and then never mention it again. Gavin isn't really into reminders, anyway. You'll remember or you won't, but he's going to interpret your silence as a negative response. I know that's passive-aggressive behavior and it's not very attractive, but he isn't perfect.

I tried the thing with the girdle, then went to bed for the heck of it to see if Gavin would do anything. I got his "Dear one..." flirt. I guess he was in the mood for some hot lesbian action? :D Then I took him back to Song of the Morning to have the girdle removed. Keldath didn't say anything. I know the girdle thing is just an easter egg, but it would be nice if he said something. :)

In other news I am trying to decide on a new character with which to enjoy/test Gavin's latest incarnation, and it got me wondering if there are any special banters or responses for female characters who also happen to be clerics of Lathander. Do they call them Morningladies? ;)

I also got to thinking of BG 2 because I am testing the Xan romance for the first time in another game and had the certain encounter you told me about. For some reason I had forgotten about that one, but now that I have seen it it's so perfect, mwahaha! But you know what else would be cool? If the PC - assuming the romance will still be open to only good-aligned PCs - was not a cleric and thus was not eligible to grab the cleric stronghold, or was multi-class and had taken one of the other strongholds instead, it would be neat if Gavin could do the stronghold quests himself. Alternatively, I can see him having a lot of interjections if the PC has taken over the stronghold, maybe even being a little jealous, if you can see that being in character. After all, he's eight years older than Charname and she's the one who got the cushy set up.

I tried the thing with the girdle, then went to bed for the heck of it to see if Gavin would do anything. I got his "Dear one..." flirt. I guess he was in the mood for some hot lesbian action? :D

He is most definitely not supposed to do that. It's already coded in v 1.1 that he isn't supposed to do that. This is exactly what I've been harping on for the last several weeks about trigger order failing. That particular condition is just about dead last in a long stack, so I'm betting it gets skipped.

Then I took him back to Song of the Morning to have the girdle removed. Keldath didn't say anything. I know the girdle thing is just an easter egg, but it would be nice if he said something. :)
Maybe. But then that begs the question about whether or not he'd offer to remove it for nothing more than a stern talking-to about taking chances. Which would mean that I would have to look into having Ormlyr cast remove curse on Gavin, and then losing the girdle. Not entirely sure how doable this is. I need to think about it.

In other news I am trying to decide on a new character with which to enjoy/test

Gavin's latest incarnation, and it got me wondering if there are any special banters or responses for female characters who also happen to be clerics of Lathander. Do they call them Morningladies? ;)
Not at present. Next version, I'm probalby going to have one class-specific talk. I actually prefer the title Dawnbringer to Morninglord, but that is irrelevant. AFAIK, Morninglord is gender neutral. ;)

I also got to thinking of BG 2 because I am testing the Xan romance for the first time in another game and had the certain encounter you told me about. For some reason I had forgotten about that one, but now that I have seen it it's so perfect, mwahaha!
That one encounter is giving me fits. But it will be good.
But you know what else would be cool? If the PC - assuming the romance will still be open to only good-aligned PCs - was not a cleric and thus was not eligible to grab the cleric stronghold, or was multi-class and had taken one of the other strongholds instead, it would be neat if Gavin could do the stronghold quests himself.
None of the other NPCs get their own stronghold. If there is ever a stronghold mod released, I'll look into it, but I don't want Gavin to be *that* special.
Alternatively, I can see him having a lot of interjections if the PC has taken over the stronghold, maybe even being a little jealous, if you can see that being in character. After all, he's eight years older than Charname and she's the one who got the cushy set up.

He most definitely will not be jealous. Not of that. His advancement in the temple has been slow, but that has been his own decision as much as his history of non-distinction. He wants to be a priest, but he doesn't want to be an important one. He doesn't thrive in the spotlight, and is more than happy to let the PC have it to herself. Don't forget that Gavin's idea of a cushy set-up is one where he gets to settle down, maybe raise a family, and enjoy the tranquility of married life.

If you come across a spot where you would like a different dialog option than those given, please post them here.

When Gavin proposes to you, he says something about everyone in his family having written their response and that <charname> can read them if she wants to. Can you make an item in his inventory that actually has what they say so that we can read?

Not sure how viable it is but I thought it would be cool.

Considering how badly I suck am challenged by the concept of BAMs, or the in-game graphical representations, probably not.

However, if the standard book BAMs are acceptable, it would be easy enough to do this. I had actually considered giving him a real sketchbook, but as I can't make BAMs to save my life, I discarded that idea. It occurs to me that these don't have to look like anything special, so it might be OK.

Well, I was actually thinking of the letter icon like they use for bounty notices and such with the different comments seperated by a line. Though I'd say you could use a book.

Another option would be to allow a pc to ask about it through a pid, and Gavin could just read the notes to her.

Considering how badly I suck am challenged by the concept of BAMs, or the in-game graphical representations, probably not.

However, if the standard book BAMs are acceptable, it would be easy enough to do this. I had actually considered giving him a real sketchbook, but as I can't make BAMs to save my life, I discarded that idea. It occurs to me that these don't have to look like anything special, so it might be OK.

I think that is a cool idea!

And yes indeed making BAMs is hard. I was playing around making custom items a few years back and custom making BAMs to go with them was the last thing I wanted to do since my few attempts never lived up to my expectations. So since the items I made were for personal use (although at one point I was thinking of writing a store mod for people) I usually resorted to tweaking generic objects into what I needed and then saving them as something else.

Flarn

Archived