Is new version of Java compatible with NI?

Domi

Heya, guys, the web prompts to update Java.

My current version Java Runtime 1.5.0_09

The latest version of Java software = Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 10

Will updating screw up NI? Anyone tried updating yet?

Thank you!

Will updating screw up NI? Anyone tried updating yet?
I seriously doubt anything in a Java update would break a much older Java application. I upgraded from v6 to v9 without affecting NI. But then I haven't tried v10 and my philosophy is generally 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' (i.e. if you don't have any specific reason to upgrade your Java, don't bother with it).

Edit:

If it ain't broke...
How dare you quote from my post before I even post it... :rant:

And I quoted both of you to my hubby long before you posted, but he is interested in updating. But I remember that time when I installed ACE archive, and the Z%^#$C thing associated itself with all archived files *including* jar, which hosed NI. Since then I am very touchy about my NI.

But I remember that time when I installed ACE archive, and the Z%^#$C thing associated itself with all archived files *including* jar, which hosed NI.
Well, yeah... that's different. And I don't think it would've hosed NI, you'd just have to tell it to use Java to open it (otherwise it would try to use WinAce, rather erroneously). And fixable by reassociating the extensions. Though possibly a pain, which is why I always do custom installs of applications of that nature or use a preferred install order so the last has priority (e.g. Ace, Rar, Zip, Java). And of course in this case, if v10 of Java doesn't work, you can always revert to v9 (it's not going to break NI irrevocably, if at all). I love how Linux (particularly Debian) handles this sort of thing (Windows is completely primitive by comparison :rant:).

Java 5 is Java 1.5. You can also refer to it as Java 2. If this doesn't make any sense to you, you only need consider how inconsequential and almost entirely irrelevant Sun has become.

The update you mention would be from 1.5.0_09 to 1.5.0_10. Near Infinity won't break.

I seriously doubt anything in a Java update would break a much older Java application. I upgraded from v6 to v9 without affecting NI. But then I haven't tried v10 and my philosophy is generally 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' (i.e. if you don't have any specific reason to upgrade your Java, don't bother with it).

Actually NI broke once because of a new java update. :rant: You couldn't open anything without downloading new version of NI. Too bad that the new NI had 'lost' the mpsave folder and the saves must be opened with 'open file'-function.

Actually NI broke once because of a new java update. :rant: You couldn't open anything without downloading new version of NI.
You mean someone had to revise NI to account for the Java update, or you just had to download the same .jar file you had before? I've had it act funny after changing various things on my system, but I'd hardly describe it as broken (certainly not unfixable anyhow, but it is a rather dated Java app after all).

I had something similar to the first link (couldn't edit or view in the content tab). Forget what caused it exactly, but I think I fixed it by just deleting the .jar and replacing it with the same 'proper' version. The fact someone fixed it by renaming .jar to .bat seems highly doubtful to me, but who knows (*shrug* I use DLTCEP for most editing anyway :rant:).

Archived