Northlander's War Axe

EiriktheScald

In this case, I do prefer the idea that the sheild is not removed from the character (because as pointed out elsewhere, NPCs don't pick things up), but perhaps removed for a short period (placed in inventory, then returned to slot), if possible.

One could always go with adding the loss of AC effect on all ctaracters regardless of sheild posession, and explain away the AC penalty on non-sheilded NPCs as Eirik hooking away at legs or limbs with his axe to unbalance them.

I would use

#178 (0xb2) Spell Effect: THAC0 vs. Creature Type Modifier [178]

Parameter #1: IDS Entry

Parameter #2: IDS File

Description:

Alters the targeted creature(s) THAC0 against the creature

type specified by the 'IDS Entry' field in the specified

'IDS File'.

The actual modifier value is placed in the Parameter 3 field

in an external effect.

Known values for 'IDS File' are:

2 EA.ids

3 General.ids

4 Race.ids

5 Class.ids

6 Specific.ids

7 Gender.ids

8 Align.ids

Setting 3 General and Humanoid. What I don't understand is where to put the actual modifier value. And would this be added under the melee ability or as a global effect?

What I don't understand is where to put the actual modifier value. And would this be added under the melee ability or as a global effect?
I dunno about that one. It sounds like you'd be altering the opponent's to-hit value against other creatures of a specific type (based on the IDS value).

What BigRob was suggesting was making their AC worse for a duration. As it happens, the first effect appears the easiest (saved me from grepping the IESDP anyway :rant:). You'd just have to mess with the Timing value.

#0 (0x0) Stat: AC vs. Damage Type Modifier [0]
Parameter #1: AC Modifier
Parameter #2: Type
Description: 
Applies the modifier value specified by the 'AC Modifier'
field to the category specified by the 'Type' field.

Known values for 'Type' are:
0   All
1   Crushing
2   Missile
4   Piercing
8   Slashing
16  Base AC setting (sets the targets AC to the value specified
by the 'AC Modifier' field. If the targets AC is already
'AC Modifier' or below, this effect will do nothing).

No, I'm updating my own THACO +1 against humanoids. Mostly humanoids carry shields, and hooking the ankles, etc. of anything bigger than humanoid is probably ineffective. Anyway, I figured it out. Use #177 and call external effect. But NI won't let me update the resource to the eff I created.

Sure.

Effect on weapon extended header = use .eff, target self, ids entries 2, 0, probability 5%

.eff = THAC0 versus type, target self, set duration and paramenters how you like them.

THAC0 versus type doesn't stack with itself (also doesn't show up on character record, but it works :rant: )

If you want to snazzy it up a bit, you can also include on the item a 5% chance to display a string on the user (e.g. "attempts a hooking manuever." or some such)

Sure.

Effect on weapon extended header = use .eff, target self, ids entries 2, 0, probability 5%

.eff = THAC0 versus type, target self, set duration and paramenters how you like them.

THAC0 versus type doesn't stack with itself (also doesn't show up on character record, but it works :rant: )

If you want to snazzy it up a bit, you can also include on the item a 5% chance to display a string on the user (e.g. "attempts a hooking manuever." or some such)

1. I noticed the external eff has probability settings. I'm thinking those can be left alone, since I've set 5% on the other?

2. Displaying a string would be 'snazzy.' Although less suggestive wording might be in order. :) Domi catches these pretty quick!

1. I noticed the external eff has probability settings. I'm thinking those can be left alone, since I've set 5% on the other?

Yep. In this case you want 100% on one and 5% on the other. If you wanted an on-creature effect, you'd have to do it a little differently (check out how Sarevok is set up in ToB for an example).

2. Displaying a string would be 'snazzy.' Although less suggestive wording might be in order. :) Domi catches these pretty quick!

Word it however you like :rant: I guess I'm not deviant in the correct way to get something salacious out of hooking with a hand-ax :D

Word it however you like :rant: I guess I'm not deviant in the correct way to get something salacious out of hooking with a hand-ax :D

Okaaayyy... leaving that thought... Could this also be a phrase said during battle?

It's something that you'll be adding to dialog.tlk, so anything you want.

Bear in mind that if you attach it to an item, then it'll have its chance of popping up whenever anyone uses that item (so if Shar-Teel stabs Eirik and robs his ax, it'll look odd if she occassionally pipes up with "Shar-Teel - Eirikr heiti ek!" or whatnot).

Opcode 139 is the one you want, parameter 1 you should set to -1 for now (you'll use SAY at install time to actually add the new string - you can't tell the game what string to look for yet, because the string doesn't yet exist and you don't know what number it's going to have).

Okaaayyy... leaving that thought...

Unless you're planning on writing the Saga of Eirik and Branwen-the-gushing-arterial-blood-from-the-stump-that-once-was-her-fair-hand, that's probably for the best, thanks :rant:

Archived