Something about scripts

Downs Duck

I am currently playing EasyTutu.

About the scripts, both eSeries and sgSeries.

It really bothers me that the scripts can not do what the uscript did:

Use stuff that is in your quickslots.

That was a luxury, make no mistake.

It seems the scripts are "saving" them for better usage later, when that time comes, I may never know.

Because I will be dead by then, with a basket full of Healing Potions by my side.

"No, it is NOT a trick Xzar. USE the goddamn potion that I have firmly given you, and placed carefully in your hands to use. Don't hog it , believing it is better to die from kobold arrows, than to face my would-be wrath for you using all the potions in your quickslots. If its in your quickslot, it should be yours to use, you inbred mage. Although if you do not need it yourself and your companion seems to die beside you any moment, I suggest you give it to him."

-Angry protagonist-

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=19401

Feature: *Potion passing in combat.

Not to be a human reproductive organ but...potion passing my behind.

My mage is hogging a case of Healing Potions all to himself, Max HP-healthy and smiling, while his companion, not 1 feet away, is suffering a heart attack 'cause of the sword and arrows sticking out of his chest.

Anyone but me think its irritating that when you assign a thief script to your thief, and want your party to travel a long distance on the local map, the thief hides in shadows (as he should), but stops walking in the process:

"I want you OVER HERE, Imoen, you imbecile. Hide, but continue walking after you've finished hiding, darn it!"

-Angry protagonist-

Also, sometimes (MANY times) when a character goes to pick up some items on the ground (I click the loot after a killed person), the "case" with the items (on the bottom of the screen, where party formations/quickslots is at also) shows for 1/10 second, and goes away (showing the party formation/quickslots).

I suspect this is also from the thief hiding, but I haven't figured it out yet. This does not happen with AI turned off.

Annoying as ≠Heaven.

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=19401

Feature: *A certain amount of self-preservation by the characters when badly hurt!

Nope.

I am seeing UNARMOURED MAGES with 2 hitpoints, still lashing away at the enemy, WITH A DAGGER MIND YOU, not using his spells, without a care in the world. Until he gets that Xvarts sword up his butt maybe?

How about running away and cast that 'agic 'issile of yours from a safe distance?

"I want you to use magic, even if its just a fizzle of fire that hardly would ignite a candle. I have assigned that spell to you, and I suggest you use it, instead of using your pathetic dagger with your even more pathetic proficiency for it."

-Angry protagonist-

Suggestions, anyone?

EDIT: Profanity police saves the day

If you're looking for something that would account for every possible contingency, I am afraid you are never going to be satisfied with any script.

Were such a thing possible, the script would be mind-bogglingly huge, and your game would slow to glacial slowness. You thought your current game moves too slowly, but you have no idea how slowly it can move with a really colossal script trying to run in the background.

Problem is, you can't run certain scripts only under certain conditions. An AI script runs all the way through, each and every time. If it doesn't hit a script block where something is true, it will move on to the next, and the next, and the next, and it won't let you move your mouse until it's gone through the entire list, which can take a while.

I don't use Immy to hide in shadows, myself. I usually want her to detect traps.

Forgive me if I ask a question that you have already answered, but have you explored all the customizable script options under the "customize" tab on your character record page? It sounds like you would like Imoen to use one of the standard thief scripts, and it sounds like you want Xzar to use a standard aggressive mage script. The latter *will* launch every spell in the arsenal before attacking with melee weapons.

If you're looking for something that would account for every possible contingency, I am afraid you are never going to be satisfied with any script.

New thing learned, right there, though I expected as much :p

Were such a thing possible, the script would be mind-bogglingly huge, and your game would slow to glacial slowness. You thought your current game moves too slowly, but you have no idea how slowly it can move with a really colossal script trying to run in the background.

I am good at imagining things.

Problem is, you can't run certain scripts only under certain conditions. An AI script runs all the way through, each and every time. If it doesn't hit a script block where something is true, it will move on to the next, and the next, and the next, and it won't let you move your mouse until it's gone through the entire list, which can take a while.

Just so I have this clearly, you are emphasizing this making the script huge and the game lagging as a result, right? Like: You can only have what YOU think is the most important things, not every imaginable situation in the whole game.

I don't use Immy to hide in shadows, myself. I usually want her to detect traps.

I use her for the same things, normally, though I would really like her to drink her potions when she is hurt. She doesn't. Should be paramount to a script I'd say, but of course there are other opinions.

Forgive me if I ask a question that you have already answered, but have you explored all the customizable script options under the "customize" tab on your character record page? It sounds like you would like Imoen to use one of the standard thief scripts, and it sounds like you want Xzar to use a standard aggressive mage script. The latter *will* launch every spell in the arsenal before attacking with melee weapons.

You are forgiven.

I have explored them, and find them lacking in so many things they DO NOT do, so I have basically given up on them.

Xzar would pummel his enemies with magic, though he will NOT drink a quaff of a potion to heal himself, which is quite frankly, disappointing.

What I would REALLY want to see, if possible, is an overhaul of the uScripts, which I found to be State-of-the-art scripting, and made my playing BG2 a pure joy.

But I do not know who to contact on the matter...

I do have the uScript, downloaded through the G3 site though, but as with the before mentioned Superscripts by mPrilla, it seems to screw up things (read: non-weidu).

EDIT

@berelinde: Though the writings of the readmes in the Superscripts made both our eyes water, I must say it looked like he had his shit together script-wise.

I loved those scripts like fat kids love cake.

But I love WeiDU like Oprah love cake.

EDIT 2: I have since learned that the Superscripts are using CHEATS, so I do not like them anymore. What a fraud.

@Gorilym

Nei, skulle du sett. Det er det verste :p

Skål!

Finished with the norwegian phrases now, all you other people :p

Just wondering: Isn't Detection Stats included in the BG2 TweakPack? Just curious.

EDIT: It says Big Picture Detectable Stats. I thought BP was for BGT only. I am on the Tutu bandwagon...

Didn't you post this also in the Tutu compatibility thread? Not trying to be the thread police or anything but I responded to it there. :p

This is what the download page says about uScript:

uScript or "Universal" Script is a Player AI script for BG2 SoA & ToB. It was created by Rich Martel. G3 is supplying it here, because we are unaware of any other place where it exists and some may find it useful. Please note that G3 will not be providing any support for this script or any of the other items contained in the package.
So I guess the short story is the dude who created it is long gone and G3 doesn't support it. What might be useful is if you figure out what you like about those scripts, then ask an active scripter (like Yovaneth) if they might consider adding the features to their series. Or you could learn to write your own scripts :p. It's not as hard as you think once you start looking at them. Sim's scripting guide looks fearsome but it's got some good examples.

Detectable Spells is here. I'm not sure if it has a web page. I guess we should add it to the list if Gorilym says it's compatible (I haven't tested it).

@berelinde: Though the writings of the readmes in the Superscripts made both our eyes water, I must say it looked like he had his shit together script-wise.

Don't take anything that MPrilla says for truth - there is large proof that he can't script a thing, he can only copy and bastardize other people's work, and he's just full of shit when claiming otherwise (or insulting everybody in the community).

Just wondering: Isn't Detection Stats included in the BG2 TweakPack? Just curious.

Don't think so, it'd be news to me if it is.

EDIT: It says Big Picture Detectable Stats. I thought BP was for BGT only. I am on the Tutu bandwagon...

A mod by any other name... :p It's not just for BP / BGT - though I believe the bug detailed in this thread has yet to be fixed.

I'm not sure if it has a web page.

It doesn't. IIRC DS works fine with Tutu, as long as you account for the issue in the above link (but that goes for regular BG II installs as well).

Didn't you post this also in the Tutu compatibility thread? Not trying to be the thread police or anything but I responded to it there. :D
Damn it, nothing escapes your keen eye Miloch :p Thread is locked now though.
It's not locked - cmorgan just moved the content to a new thread, so the actual compatibility list doesn't get too bogged down. :p The link above should work.
Would be nice if they could use ALL the things I put in their quickslots: potions, wands, boo (for those with a sexual nature not known to all).
Do you really want Minsc 'using' Boo? :p Nevermind, don't answer that. There's an SCS component that moves him to his inventory, for all that. The problem is you'd have to write some sort of trigger in the script that says when they're gonna use the items. You don't want your minions popping heals when they don't need them, or quaffing a fire resistance potion for a battle with a frost giant, right? Plus if you automated everything well hey, the scripts would play the game for you... you could just kick back, drink beer and watch the screen. (Maybe that's your goal?) Baldur's Gate TV! ;) Assuming it wasn't horribly lagged of course, 'cause you're checking for practically every usable item in the game. :D
Do you really want Minsc 'using' Boo? ;) Nevermind, don't answer that. There's an SCS component that moves him to his inventory, for all that.
Nevermind the tasteless humor, I just read something better than my lame jokes. Some threads with a troll named m.p.r.i.l....

Yeah. We'll stop there.

The problem is you'd have to write some sort of trigger in the script that says when they're gonna use the items.

To use healing potions, when hurt, would be a start. If one is of a low level and do not want to waste them for healing Xzars 2/4 HP, one could have a trigger that said he wouldn't drink it if he had less than e.g. 12 base HP, or something.

You don't want your minions popping heals when they don't need them, or quaffing a fire resistance potion for a battle with a frost giant, right?

They sure as hell should quaff their healing potions at least, when they're dying, then we'll talk about the Fire resistance ones afterwards.

Plus if you automated everything well hey, the scripts would play the game for you... you could just kick back, drink beer and watch the screen. (Maybe that's your goal?) Baldur's Gate TV! :D Assuming it wasn't horribly lagged of course, 'cause you're checking for practically every usable item in the game. :p

I'd like to kick back with the beer when fighting kobolds. Fighting bosses, I would prefer managing on my own.

"Drink the healing potions, darn it! I'll make you drink it if I have to force feed it to you!" (which I obviously must, and I'll darn well will INJECT the antidote ones if I have to).

:p

EDIT: What really annoyed me, though, was that I felt the eScripts and sgScripts did not deliver as promised in the readme.

Could be I was of a too low level, that they did not pass the potions, or healed themselves, though it should say so in the scripts readme. As of now, it does not.

I just thought it could be included in the readme if there were exceptions from the general rules of the scripts.

I'd like to kick back with the beer when fighting kobolds. Fighting bosses, I would prefer managing on my own.
Did you try the Ease-of-Use AI from SCS? I tend to use it when fighting puny enemies (like kobolds), and then micromanage the bigger battles. If memory serves, it makes NPCs drink healing potions at least. :p

EDIT: What really annoyed me, though, was that I felt the eScripts and sgScripts did not deliver as promised in the readme.

Could be I was of a too low level, that they did not pass the potions, or healed themselves, though it should say so in the scripts readme. As of now, it does not.

NOT TO STEP ON ANYONES FEET, I just thought it could be included in the readme if there were exceptions from the general rules of the scripts.

Again, I think not having Detectable Stats installed could be to blame for the scripts not performing as expected.

Did you try the Ease-of-Use AI from SCS? I tend to use it when fighting puny enemies (like kobolds), and then micromanage the bigger battles. If memory serves, it makes NPCs drink healing potions at least. :p

Tried it:

Xzar was having his coffee break, not casting spells, while Montaron was having a ≠heaven of a day, sweating like an adult actor trying not to come before he should.

EDIT: Changes in the content right above.

Archived