Something about scripts

Downs Duck

EDIT: What really annoyed me, though, was that I felt the eScripts and sgScripts did not deliver as promised in the readme.

Could be I was of a too low level, that they did not pass the potions, or healed themselves, though it should say so in the scripts readme. As of now, it does not.

NOT TO STEP ON ANYONES FEET, I just thought it could be included in the readme if there were exceptions from the general rules of the scripts.

(DownsDuck: "Drink, dammit!" Montaron: "But... it tastes funny!" DownsDuck pinches Montaron's nose, tilts his head back and pours a potion down the furry little cutthroat's throat...) Like I said, the scripts are designed for BG2 probably. Tutu, while using the BG2 engine, puts an underscore _ before all its resource names to avoid overwriting the BG2 content (though I don't know why that would've been a problem except in BGT but nevermind that). So if you have a script that says DRINK POTN01 it's not gonna do much in Tutu, cause you need it to DRINK _POTN01. I responded to your thread to Yovaneth on SHS so he has a better idea what we're talking about. :p

Downs Duck,

To my recollection, the eSeries doesn't use potions outside of combat. It saves them for in combat because they are not interruptible.

Even with the eSeries, not all quickslot items are scripted. I've tried to cover a chunk of the more common ones or ones that I liked to use, but there are a few gaps that may never get filled by my hand.

To some extent, script behavior is a matter of scriptor style or user preference or both.

IIRC, Quitch loved uScript. Apparently you love(d) uScript. It handled things a certain way. I've actually *ehem* borrowed several ideas from uScript, but not all of it meshed well with the way the eSeries worked, or I couldn't figure out what-the-H the code was doing (not a programmer here), so I was blind to the merit or couldn't figure out how to implement it.

Also if the eSeries code has not been adapted to BG1 you are going to run into problems. Threat level assessment is going to be whacked (a horde of gibbelings is dangerous to a 1-3rd level party, not to a 7-8th level party) and healing + potion usage is going to be whacked (4-30 hp characters vs. 28-96 hp characters).

BP Detectable Stats is the updated version of Detectable Spells. Horred and King Diamond put it together. I eventually went ahead and incorporated it so the eSeries would be more BP compatible and to try and start BG2 modding on the road to a universal Detectable Stats/Spells/Effects pack rather than having umpteenmillion out there in the wild.

As Berelinde put it...paraphrasing badly...sorry Berelinde..."there ain't no one size fits all to scripts that will do everything perfectly every time."

Right now I'm testing out some NWN2 scripts. Why can't they [enter appropriate behavior here] in some sane fashion.....gah! But, I don't know C++, so I'm at the mercy of the modders to address any issues that might arise.

You might also try GBlucher's Updated BG2 scripts. The website for them escapes me at the moment....boozers\winelodge or something like that. Once upon a time the link was in the eSeries read me, it may still be there.

Like I said, the scripts are designed for BG2 probably. Tutu, while using the BG2 engine, puts an underscore _ before all its resource names to avoid overwriting the BG2 content (though I don't know why that would've been a problem except in BGT but nevermind that). So if you have a script that says DRINK POTN01 it's not gonna do much in Tutu, cause you need it to DRINK _POTN01. I responded to your thread to Yovaneth on SHS so he has a better idea what we're talking about. :p

Makes sense. Thank you for enlightening me :p

I recall this being an issue with the maps in BGT? The Areamaps would have to have a underscore before their names?

Downs Duck,

To my recollection, the eSeries doesn't use potions outside of combat. It saves them for in combat because they are not interruptible.

I understand, though my characters was very much in combat and did not use them.

Even with the eSeries, not all quickslot items are scripted. I've tried to cover a chunk of the more common ones or ones that I liked to use, but there are a few gaps that may never get filled by my hand.

Not to be rude, but shouldn't Healing Potions be the first thing to go in there, with the quickslots?

To some extent, script behavior is a matter of scriptor style or user preference or both.

I totally agree.

IIRC, Quitch loved uScript. Apparently you love(d) uScript. It handled things a certain way. I've actually *ehem* borrowed several ideas from uScript, but not all of it meshed well with the way the eSeries worked, or I couldn't figure out what-the-H the code was doing (not a programmer here), so I was blind to the merit or couldn't figure out how to implement it.

And here I am, believing you to be some asshole NASA programmer just trying to sexual intercourse me over :p

Also if the eSeries code has not been adapted to BG1, you are going to run into problems. Threat level assessment is going to be whacked (a horde of gibbelings is dangerous to a 1-3rd level party, not to a 7-8th level party) and healing + potion usage is going to be whacked (4-30 hp characters vs. 28-96 hp characters).

Sorry, I did not understand that to the full extent :p

BP Detectable Stats is the updated version of Detectable Spells. Horred and King Diamond put it together. I eventually went ahead and incorporated it so the eSeries would be more BP compatible and to try and start BG2 modding on the road to a universal Detectable Stats/Spells/Effects pack rather than having umpteenmillion out there in the wild.

Good luck, tell me how its going. Link?

You might also try GBlucher's Updated BG2 scripts. The website for them escapes me at the moment....boozers\winelodge or something like that. Once upon a time the link was in the eSeries read me, it may still be there.

I'll try to look for them.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

EDIT

Found his homepage: http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/winelodge/79/

EDIT 2: Profanity police saves the day.

Also if the eSeries code has not been adapted to BG1, you are going to run into problems. Threat level assessment is going to be whacked (a horde of gibbelings is dangerous to a 1-3rd level party, not to a 7-8th level party) and healing + potion usage is going to be whacked (4-30 hp characters vs. 28-96 hp characters).

Sorry, that I did not understand to the full extent :p

The troubles with healing potion usage may be related to the game you are playing.

BG1 - low to mid level characters

BG2 - mid to high level characters

What is dangerous to a BG1 character is probably not all that dangerous to a BG2 character.

Therefore, a script designed for BG2 will not react appropriately to something that was Really Really Threatening to a BG1 character.

The BG2 script is going to say, "Oh look, 30 Gibberlings. Yawn. One of the three 8th level fighters in my party should be able to kill them in oh, about 8 seconds. Therefore, no point in wasting any spells, lets just go smack them with clubs until they are all dead."

Same thing with Hit Points. 10HP of damage to a level 1-3 character is a serious wound. To a 7-8th level character, 10HP of damage is mostly likely "Merely a flesh wound!".

Therefore, a script designed for BG2 will probably do nothing if you only took 10HP worth of damage.

Of course, I understand fully, thanks for the explanation :p

One would *only have to* adjust the scripts for use with lower level characters then.

Like:

eScripts for low level characters (1-8)

eScripts for high level characters (8-whatever)

sgScripts for low level characters (1-8)

sgScripts for high level characters (8-whatever)

Or:

eScripts for BGTutu (1-8)

eScripts for BG2 (8-whatever)

sgScripts for BGTutu (1-8)

sgScripts for BG2 (8-whatever)

Yovaneth, where are you, you scoundrel? :p

Come join Cirerrek for some justified asspounding, he is taking it all himself!

EDIT: Yovaneth has better things to do, as I should have fathomed a long time ago. I have since tried to look at the scripts myself, not bothering Gurus with my petty issues.

Therefore, a script designed for BG2 will probably do nothing if you only took 10HP worth of damage.
If you're using Tutu, it might do nothing regardless, because of this:
Tutu, while using the BG2 engine, puts an underscore _ before all its resource names to avoid overwriting the BG2 content (though I don't know why that would've been a problem except in BGT but nevermind that). So if you have a script that says DRINK POTN01 it's not gonna do much in Tutu, cause you need it to DRINK _POTN01.
@cirerrek - I checked some of your script code and this seems indeed to be the case, e.g.:

IF
 StateCheck(Myself,STATE_POISONED)
 HasItem("POTN20",Myself)

(blah, blah, blah, use antidote if under 50% HP etc.). This isn't a fault in your scripts - it's something that functions fine in BG2. But there is no POTN20 in Tutu - it's _POTN20.

I have some logic in mods I'm working on that will enable cross-platform compatibility. In a nutshell, you use a variable in front of resource names standing for the underscore in an IF routine based on which platform is detected. Bottom line is you don't have to change a whole lot apart from that.

I'd be willing to pass on the code, or perhaps even help with the update myself except I'm trying to finish up other projects at the moment. But it wouldn't take a whole lot of work for such a revision (maybe even some sort of search-and-replace routine could help automate it). Being how you use percentages rather than hard HP checks, that shouldn't be a huge issue either (though it's something that could potentially be investigated).

If you're too busy with NWN2 but would still be open to someone else updating eSeries for Tutu, that would be cool. I'm not volunteering (at least not at this immediate moment), but maybe someone who feels strongly about it *cough* *Downs Duck* *cough* could do the necessary grunt work. You'll obviously still retain full credit for the mod of course. :p

@berelinde: Though the writings of the readmes in the Superscripts made both our eyes water, I must say it looked like he had his shit together script-wise.

Don't take anything that MPrilla says for truth - there is large proof that he can't script a thing, he can only copy and bastardize other people's work, and he's just full of shit when claiming otherwise (or insulting everybody in the community).

Quite. I have learned that he resembles something of a sociopath, while I was browsing some threads here and there.

Hey, let's stop slamming poor Mikey already. Let's just hope he's happy with his cheap ripoff beer and doesn't come hunting us down here.

Since the other thread was locked, I wanted to respond to this:

Yovaneth is a BGT guy, not a Tutu guy...
Firstly, he recently claimed his sgSeries was 'Tutu certified' (after doing a complete run with them through Tutu):
I've played most of the way through BGTuTu with version 2.3 of the sgSeries and not hit any major problems.
Secondly, he doesn't even have BGT installed (his forum just happens to be at SHS):
And sgSeries is for BG2/Tutu (and BGT?), yeah?
That's about it, except that I haven't tested with BGT because I don't have it installed. If it's built on the BGII IE then they should work. I haven't included the BG-only spells because I don't know what they are. If someone could help with a list, I'd do a BGTuTu specific set of scripts.
So I think Downs Duck's post asking about their Tutu compatibility was justified. He might be busy on another project, but he'll probably respond eventually (though you could always give him a head start by looking through his scripts the same way you did for eSeries :p).

@Miloch:

I am currently looking through the scripts with my non-programmer experienced eyes, trying to solve the issues on my own.

As such, the thread at SHS about the scripts is changed accordingly:

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.p...281&t=24448

the Bigg mouthed me off a little in the closed thread, and to be fair he was perfectly right to do so.

It is naive for me to hope for answers when I am trolling the community with threads, including all sorts of different subjects, from Kobolds to gameplay balance, Tutu, BGT, and scripts not being compatible with various installations.

I will try to seriously constrain myself in later posting and topic starting to make the forums less of a garbage heap containing oblivious remnants of petty issues concerning mostly me and my gaming, and not gaining the forum users as a whole.

On the positive side (albeit one could consider the above positive, learning from ones mistakes should not be a negative trait), I have been delving into the issues myself, and hopefully, I will learn something from that too.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

Just one quick question, why in the name of the unheaven, are you even using the scripts, why not just use the stop buttom and order the actions yourself. :p

Just one quick question, why in the name of the unheaven, are you even using the scripts, why not just use the stop buttom and order the actions yourself. :p

Because I do not want to play one session for a year.

Why do you have an electric oven in your house, when you instead can use sticks to make fire?

Maybe because they make life easier and more comfortable?

More enjoyable, even?

Since someone mentioned the SCS ease-of-use script, I should clarify: don't rely on it, at all, to fight any serious battle. It doesn't even try to do anything clever. It's literally an "ease-of-use" script, for people like me who micromanage almost anything but can't be bothered with completely mechanical tasks.

Basically, ease-of-use will:

- attack on sight if you're not invisible or turning undead

- prioritise moving targets over sleeping/held/stunned ones (useful for mopping up after you've cast Sleep)

- drink healing potions or eat goodberries IF there are no visible opponents

- cast Armour and Goodberries upon waking up in the morning

... and basically that's it.

Archived