Tutu State of the Modding Union

berelinde

The items are scattered randomly, with a percentage chance an item will be added to each creature. The percentage chance is a bit high, and I'll lower it (significantly) in the next version.

I'll also change the add-items-to-creatures code to not add items to non-sensible creatures (e.g. rats, wolves, birds!), which should again lower the commonness of the new items.

As for prices - yes, prices were balanced (roughly) for BG2, though as the items will be dropped less in the next version 'free money' should hopefully not be such a bad problem.

There's also a chance that I can have separate prices for Tutu and BG2, if a few people are interested, and would like to contribute 'sensible' prices?

And, perhaps, in Tutu, some items should just be unavailable completely? As mentionned, the 'Potion of Protection from Timestop' probably doesn't belong in Tutu. Again, if someone wants to suggest a list of items not to install for Tutu...?

Finally, "Some of the items are very inventive and interesting" - which items in particular did people find interesting, and why?

Pop by the iiItem forum at TeamBG (http://www.teambg.eu/forum/index.php?board=34.0) if you have any suggestions or comments.

I say let's leave the potions on the birds, but I'd like to figure out a way to hit them!

Evil roleplaying option: hand the PC a sling and have him nail some eagles. (Then he gets knocked unconscious by a flying bottle of "protection from time stop" potion.)

I'm sorry. I really need to go home now. I've stopped making sense.

I've stopped making sense.
When did you start? ;)

This might be interesting if you use it with the SCS "Creatures use potions" component (might be in smarter general AI). Though I think it only works for humanoids so, alas, no rats swigging potions or such. But it would lighten your load, as some CREs will be consuming them.

@igi - I would stick to the the resources that have a _ prefix in Tutu, and maybe just add a few of the lower powered ones in BG2 (that don't have the _), but that's just my take on it. The prices don't really need to change (and can be altered with something like the Store Prices mod).

I liked immensely finding the TimeStop potion... why does *everything* in the game have to be usefull to someone immediately? If I find a cool shop that buys it, I can trade it infor a sword, or even some arrows!

I enjoyed many of the arrows and potions, because they made sense. They might be a little overpowered for L1 - 4 characters, but they are the kinds of things that I would set my Wizard's and Fletcher's Guilds working on immediately, if I had just taken over the Castle or High Council seat. An arrow of healing, where you take damage but the magic heals more than it hurts (or differently)? Cool! A potion that helps you out but is balanced off by hp loss, weakness, fatigue... much more reasonable! After all, some of the best potions in fantasy fiction come with a personal price to pay...

(Whoops - have jumped OT - see you on igi's forums. This one should be about compatible stuff... I had better moderate myself ;))

Guest Dominik

Hi, I followed the install order just with few components in it (sirines call, bg1 npc, tweak pack, scs and gui ), but the gui couldn't install. There was a collision with the sirines call, it appears to be incompatible.

Hi everyone. Allow me to say many thanks for the tutu compatibility guide. You guys really appear to know what you're talking about. I'm not a modder, although my brother has recently started modding nwn, but my wife and I are avid BGers.

At any rate, I decided to set up a modded tutu game and I thought it might be useful to post question, observations, problems, etc. In this way, I thought, I can get expert help, and you guys get to see what kind of trouble a complete newb can get into.

So, that being said, here's what has been done so far.

Section 1

Been here a zillion times. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 plus patches all went in with no problems.

Section 2

Used EasyTutu_ToB here. This was also a no-brainer. Just fire it up, clickety click and let it do its thing. I left BG1 and BG2 intact afterwards because my wife just loves plain vanilla BG2.

Section 3

3.1 EasyTutu Hotfixes, downloaded, but the guide says not currently needed so I did not install it.

3.2 EasyTutu Degreenifier, easy to install, but geez the thing takes forever. Start it up and go have lunch. Maybe it will be done when you get back. Prolly not.

3.3 EasyTutu NPC Kits, I have played some of these before, but this time I decided to just let the BG1 NPCs be their original base classes. But here's a question: At the top of the section, it says, not required, but highly recommended. So, if I don't want to use these kits, is there some reason why I still need to install this mod? Like, does it do something it's not telling me about?

Section 4

4.1 TutuFix, this was kind of different from what it says in the guide. It skips the Core Bugfixes and Organized Journal Entries, saying these are already in EasyTutu. But then it asks about Restores BG1 Loadscreens. This wasn't mentioned in the guide. I said go ahead and install. I also added BG2 Ammo Stacks,

Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced, BG1 Summoning Spells, and Hooded unarmoured avatars and hooded bards because they were green, but not Walking Speeds because it was orange and I don't want to mess with orange. Oddly, Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2, which is red in the guide, never came up. The readme says that this component was deprecated in v 17.

4.2 BG1 Unfinished Business for Tutu, I really, really want to try this. But I really, really like the BG1 NPC mod. So I am gonna do both and really, really hope it doesn't crash the whole works. Some observations: It took me just about forever to figure out that this thing is in beta testing. This is because the PPC link from the guide brings you to the UB forum, but I had no idea (at first) that I was looking for the thread started by Ascension64. And another question, the only place I could find the mod was by following a link in Ascension64's post at the top of the thread. Is this the current version or should I be looking somewhere else?

Anhow, I installed everything except Angelo Notices Shar-teel, Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest, Coran and the Wyverns (dood, we should name our band that), Kivan and Tazok, and Branwen and Tranzig. A lot of "i" typing, but hey, at least I can sell shields in Nashkel. Hopefully.

Well, that's enough for now. I'll throw in some more mods and document my travails a bit later. Thanks again for any and all help given.

~Kil

3.3 EasyTutu NPC Kits, I have played some of these before, but this time I decided to just let the BG1 NPCs be their original base classes. But here's a question: At the top of the section, it says, not required, but highly recommended. So, if I don't want to use these kits, is there some reason why I still need to install this mod? Like, does it do something it's not telling me about?

I am with you here, and, no, you don't have to install it.

Also, to my knowledge, you did well with BG1 UB and BG1 NPC, so presumably, you are going to be fine. Hopefully. ;)

3.1 EasyTutu Hotfixes, downloaded, but the guide says not currently needed so I did not install it.
There is a hotfix now on pocketplane.net, but it's not necessary. If I recall arightly, it just patches a few things like being able to buy and sell some odd items you might not even run into.
3.2 EasyTutu Degreenifier, easy to install, but geez the thing takes forever. Start it up and go have lunch. Maybe it will be done when you get back. Prolly not.
That is true. It may not be necessary on all platforms, but I always run it anyhow (and go have lunch or whatever, as you say). I'm not sure why this can't be incorporated into core EasyTutu code.
No, there is no reason to install this if you don't want to kit NPCs. In fact, this may be superceded by the Blucher/Nythrun Level 1 NPC mod you can read about on this forum.
4.1 TutuFix, this was kind of different from what it says in the guide. It skips the Core Bugfixes and Organized Journal Entries, saying these are already in EasyTutu. But then it asks about Restores BG1 Loadscreens. This wasn't mentioned in the guide. I said go ahead and install. I also added BG2 Ammo Stacks, Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced, BG1 Summoning Spells, and Hooded unarmoured avatars and hooded bards because they were green, but not Walking Speeds because it was orange and I don't want to mess with orange. Oddly, Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2, which is red in the guide, never came up. The readme says that this component was deprecated in v 17.
AFAIK, all your observations here are also true. TutuFix may be considered TutuTweaks when it comes to EasyTutu (as it incorporates all the true "fixes") and our install guide should be corrected as to the specific components (thought it was actually, though cmorgan can confirm).

Re: Unfinished Business, Ascension64's version should be the right one (I believe he's only done one Tutu release so far), and as long as you follow cmorgan's guidelines re: installation vis-a-vis BG1NPC you should be ok.

Please share anything else you find. Like most forum threads, this is a "by the community, for the community" sort of thing.

I'm not sure why this can't be incorporated into core EasyTutu code.
Because doing so would make the size of the EasyTutu distributions many, many times bigger - and since some people aren't interested in degreenification, that would be a tremendous waste of bandwidth (that is, if the already-degreenified tilesets were made part of the core packages).

Hello -

Anything with a "hotfix available" postscript in the "Coming in the Next Release" section of the EasyTutu changelog is what you'll get from installing the hotfix pack. You are definitely much better off basing your install decision here on the actual EasyTutu documentation linked above rather than using a third-party guide, as the information in the latter tends to become stale quite easily (as was the case here).

Yes...a good deal of patching here. As for why it's not in the core package: what Gorilym said, plus the fact that people who don't care about it (i.e., people who don't play with 3DA turned on) would rather not spend 1.5 GB on it.

Nope. If you don't want kits for any of the NPCs, there is absolutely no reason at all to use EasyTutu NPC Kits.

Archived