Unseeing Eye quest still broken?

Guest Jeremiah

Guest Jeremiah

I just assembled the rift device, killed the Unseeing Eye, and returned the rift device to the temple. Then I decided to pay Gaal a visit, just to rub salt in his wounds. Well, Gaal acknowledged that the UE was dead and his guards attacked me. But after I walked into the cult HQ, the Unseeing Eye was there, alive and well.

The fixpack claims to have fixed this, doesn't it?

I just assembled the rift device, killed the Unseeing Eye, and returned the rift device to the temple. Then I decided to pay Gaal a visit, just to rub salt in his wounds. Well, Gaal acknowledged that the UE was dead and his guards attacked me. But after I walked into the cult HQ, the Unseeing Eye was there, alive and well.

The fixpack claims to have fixed this, doesn't it?

Oh, I should mention that I have the fixpack installed (or at least I think I do).

You can confirm the Fixpack is installed by checking your weidu.log. Was Gaal in the entrance way with his elite guards?

I see that the Core fixes and Game Text Update from the fixpack are installed.

Yes, Gaal was in the entrance way with two hostile elite guards and four non-hostile guards (one of which is the captain). When I arrived he said something along the lines of "Come back! Even though the Unseeing Eye is dead, we can still carry on in his name!", then the two hostile elite guards fled (and disappeared), and the non-hostile guards became hostile and attacked.

The only way I can see this happening is if we've got yet another master area script conflict here, something which shouldn't be happening. Since it apparently is (just like the other UE bug), I'll add an additional variable check to really, really nail this down. This is added (just barely!) for v2. :p Moving to archives; thanks for the report.

The only way I can see this happening is if we've got yet another master area script conflict here, something which shouldn't be happening. Since it apparently is (just like the other UE bug), I'll add an additional variable check to really, really nail this down. This is added (just barely!) for v2. :p Moving to archives; thanks for the report.

Is there a variable I can check to see if your change will fix the issue? If not, I'll install v2 when it comes out and see if it's fixed.

Well, when you form the rod, it gives you some XP and sets a seven second timer ("CDUnseeingEyeAppears","AR0205",7). Once the timer expires, the party has the assembled rod, the variable ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") is 0, and the UE is not already dead, it appears and sets the ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") variable to 1.

Here's where it goes wonky. The Unseeing Eye back in the lair only appears when the ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") variable is 1, it isn't already dead, and it doesn't exist (i.e. it hasn't been spawned already, but existance checks are limited to the area where the script is running only). These two scripts should never run at the same time, meaning the UE spawn and variable set in the lair shouldn't matter, as the UE will be dead before you get back to Gaal's area. But the only way you could get the second spawn is if, indeed, both scripts are running simultaneously. So, I've added a throwaway variable to both spawn blocks in both areas--("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL")--that goes from 0 to 1 when it spawns. This will ensure it'll only spawn in one place, ever. It's not subtle but it'll also finally ensure one and only one UE.

Well, when you form the rod, it gives you some XP and sets a seven second timer ("CDUnseeingEyeAppears","AR0205",7). Once the timer expires, the party has the assembled rod, the variable ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") is 0, and the UE is not already dead, it appears and sets the ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") variable to 1.

Here's where it goes wonky. The Unseeing Eye back in the lair only appears when the ("UnseeingEye","GLOBAL") variable is 1, it isn't already dead, and it doesn't exist (i.e. it hasn't been spawned already, but existance checks are limited to the area where the script is running only). These two scripts should never run at the same time, meaning the UE spawn and variable set in the lair shouldn't matter, as the UE will be dead before you get back to Gaal's area. But the only way you could get the second spawn is if, indeed, both scripts are running simultaneously. So, I've added a throwaway variable to both spawn blocks in both areas--("CDSpawnTheEyeOnlyOnce","GLOBAL")--that goes from 0 to 1 when it spawns. This will ensure it'll only spawn in one place, ever. It's not subtle but it'll also finally ensure one and only one UE.

Ah, that makes sense. After I killed the Unseeing Eye in the lair, the global UNSEEINGEYE was set to 2.

Archived