My party was just slain by a band of petty kobolds, should my game be this hard?

Downs Duck

EDIT: My God, how did I mess up that thread title so bad?

This happened just north of Beregost, I picked up Imoen, Monty, Xzar, Khalid and Jaheira. I did not outfit them though, but I cannot for the life of me remember BG1 being this hard, I didn't bother to outfit them before Nashkel, without anyone of them ever dying.

I understand that some mods make the game harder, but I do not recall having installed them (or I mean I skipped the bits that should make the game harder).

Please have a look and if I installed something that makes the game harder, pinpoint it, and I will uninstall it, and try again.

EDIT 2:

Removed swearing and boring log

Kobolds have always been hard, with their nasty arrows. Personally, I don't know why they are only worth 7xp.

Not THAT hard, Mein Goth :p

My jaw DROPPED I tell you.

If they ARE this hard to begin with, how about balancing this. Anyone done this before maybe?

EDIT:

Removed swearing

If they ARE this hard to begin with, how about balancing this. Anyone done this before maybe?
Uh, yeah. But I'm making 'em harder, the little buggers. Seriously. We're talking about kobolds, right? They have like what... 4hp and stupid THAC0s?

I've heard people complaining Tutu makes BG1 easier, because it gives you BG2 spells and kits you wouldn't have normally... but harder? No offense, but...

I picked up Imoen, Monty, Xzar, Khalid and Jaheira. I did not outfit them though...
...is kind of a shite party, especially at low level with no armour (if that's what you mean by not outfitting them). Then there's your character, who I have to assume is not a half-orc barbarian? :p
I've heard people complaining Tutu makes BG1 easier, because it gives you BG2 spells and kits you wouldn't have normally... but harder?
Tutu spawns do tend to be more fierce than in the original BG, though it's not as apparent with the revamped system of EasyTutu. I still see people complaining about the difficulty of enemy spawns in Tutu, though.
Uh, yeah. But I'm making 'em harder, the little buggers. Seriously. We're talking about kobolds, right? They have like what... 4hp and stupid THAC0s?

Uh, Khalid with his starting armor and helmet with a THACO at 2 (I think), was being punished severely by those arrows. Not very likely?

I've heard people complaining Tutu makes BG1 easier, because it gives you BG2 spells and kits you wouldn't have normally... but harder? No offense, but...
I picked up Imoen, Monty, Xzar, Khalid and Jaheira. I did not outfit them though...
...is kind of a shite party, especially at low level with no armour (if that's what you mean by not outfitting them). Then there's your character, who I have to assume is not a half-orc barbarian? :p

His a Sorcerer and deserved what he got for not wearing metal.. Khalid on the other hand...

Not THAT hard, God damn

My jaw DROPPED I tell you.

If you think those kobolds are difficult than you really don't want to install the Darkside Kobold upgrade from Sword Coast Stratgems - now they are truly evil.

I picked up Imoen, Monty, Xzar, Khalid and Jaheira.

I'm with Miloch - whilst for role-playing purposes the party works rather well, I always found it to difficult keeping them alive. Now the only one I keep is Jaheira, and that's only until Faldorn becomes available.

Khalid on the other hand...
...is a wuss. :D And his AC might be 2 but not his THAC0 at that level (difference between being hit and hitting :p). Having said that, I usually use Khalid, just 'cause he's one of the few true fighters in the game and you can get him early, but you have to build him up a bit. Those kobolds might get lucky hitting with enough arrows, especially with criticals (1-in-20 chance). I don't know how many you were up against but if you thought "ah, kobolds... beer break..." then yeah, it's possible you could all be dead. Unlikely, but possible. :p

As Gorilym said, you could try installing the Spawn Randomizer and nerfing the spawn percentage downward. I dunno if that'd fix the problem though (I think it just affects the frequency, not the number or toughness of enemies).

My advice is get a healer (Branwen is pretty much the earliest... Jaheira doesn't really count), dump Jaheira for a decent tank (Kagain is good and early), pick up a killer archer (Kivan) in place of one of the others (Imoen, Monty, Xzar - you have two thieves and two mages, which is kinda heavy for early in the game).

Actually I cannot remember kobolds showing up other than in the areas around Nashkel in BG 1 vanilla.

Thats why I wondered when they showed up between FAI and Beregost.

I do not have the Spawn Randomizer installed, as I would have enemies spawn like in the BG 1 vanilla.

Khalid on the other hand...
...is a wuss. :D And his AC might be 2 but not his THAC0 at that level (difference between being hit and hitting :p). Having said that, I usually use Khalid, just 'cause he's one of the few true fighters in the game and you can get him early, but you have to build him up a bit. Those kobolds might get lucky hitting with enough arrows, especially with criticals (1-in-20 chance). I don't know how many you were up against but if you thought "ah, kobolds... beer break..." then yeah, it's possible you could all be dead. Unlikely, but possible. :p

He may be a wuss but that armor of his isn't. Shouldn't be for some petty kobolds at least. And there were only five of them.

Sorry for the mixup on armor and THACO, mein goth what has happened to my brain as of late...

As Gorilym said, you could try installing the Spawn Randomizer and nerfing the spawn percentage downward. I dunno if that'd fix the problem though (I think it just affects the frequency, not the number or toughness of enemies).

I did not install the randomizer because I want the spawns to be as in BG1 vanilla.

My advice is get a healer (Branwen is pretty much the earliest... Jaheira doesn't really count), dump Jaheira for a decent tank (Kagain is good and early), pick up a killer archer (Kivan) in place of one of the others (Imoen, Monty, Xzar - you have two thieves and two mages, which is kinda heavy for early in the game).

Not much need for a healer when the nearest healer is beyond Beregost and my party gets slain before Beregost.

What I am saying is that this seems kinda stupid. The game should be more difficult in later areas, but not on the road to the first decent town.

EDIT: Removed profanity

I do not have the Spawn Randomizer installed, as I would have enemies spawn like in the BG 1 vanilla.
Enemy spawning in Tutu won't be exactly like it was in the original BG whether you use the Randomizer or not, since the way spawning worked in BG1 doesn't translate well to the BG2 engine. It's a different system in any case.
Not much need for a healer when the nearest healer is beyond Beregost and my party gets slain before Beregost.
The nearest healer would be at the FAI temple, IIRC.
Enemy spawning in Tutu won't be exactly like it was in the original BG whether you use the Randomizer or not, since the way spawning worked in BG1 doesn't translate well to the BG2 engine. It's a different system in any case.

I see.

Not much need for a healer when the nearest healer is beyond Beregost and my party gets slain before Beregost. The nearest healer would be at the FAI temple, IIRC.

Not recruitable though.

If I may offer a suggestion, you need to fight fire with fire. Give everybody a missile weapon, and pop them off from a distance. That's what they're doing to you.
Alternatively, make a run for it. Magic-heavy level 1 parties need to pick their battles carefully.

edit: excuse the double post, I'd meant to edit the first one.

Archived