My party was just slain by a band of petty kobolds, should my game be this hard?

Downs Duck

Well there shouldn't be kobolds there according to Dudley, and I've never seen them. Maybe some mod adds them but none that I know of. Were they kobold commandos as Smoketest suggests? Those arrows they have are probably a bit overpowered for kobolds (and not true to their descriptions either - I think this is an existing entry in the BG1 Fixpack we're working on). Screen shot next time?

Oh, they're there, all right, and at a couple other places on that map. Sometimes, you get kobolds, sometimes, you get gibberlings, sometimes, you get bandits. I've started so many games over the last 2 months, I know every spawn point in FW2800. Next time I see them there, I'll take a screenshot.

As a side note: Why do you think that the Bandit camp and Cloakwood areas, as Baldurs Gate are off-limits from the start?

Not to be rude, but I believe it is to limit the frustration of killed people who were wandering where they ought not to.

And as such one shouldn't be punished to follow the games leads as to where to go in the beginning.

The bandit camp and CW are off limits because they are plot-essential places. It's the same reason BG itself is off limits.

You remind me of my future mother-in-law: you keep asking a question until you get the answer you wanted. Not to be rude, but your question has been answered: BG is supposed to the way it is. Nothing is ever easy the first time you play it. Then you get better. Eventually, you get bored and add SCS.

Well there shouldn't be kobolds there according to Dudley, and I've never seen them.

Again, spawning in vanilla BG1 and EasyTutu is not exactly the same - there might be some slight differences with regard to which type of creature (can) spawn where - so I'd have look at the resources connected to Spawns.bif rather than Dudleyville.

The best suggestion I would have is to give everyone a ranged weapon, other wise you will be killed trying to get to the kobolds rather then shooting back at them, and you can pick the gibberlings off before they get to you.

And use default script, which is basically 'see enemy, shoot enemy' the only thing you need to do from that point is to have all shoot the same target, take it out as fast a possible, a kobold with 1 hp is just as deadly as an uninjured kobold.

Oh, they're there, all right, and at a couple other places on that map. Sometimes, you get kobolds, sometimes, you get gibberlings, sometimes, you get bandits.
Again, spawning in vanilla BG1 and EasyTutu is not exactly the same - there might be some slight differences with regard to which type of creature (can) spawn where - so I'd have look at the resources connected to Spawns.bif rather than Dudleyville.
Why did Tutu change the *type* of spawn? I'm not talking about the frequency or number.
Not to be rude, but I believe it is to limit the frustration of killed people who were wandering where they ought not to. And as such one shouldn't be punished to follow the games leads as to where to go in the beginning.
But... they're kobolds. Just regular kobolds too, as you said, not kobold commandos or something. If I had to pick one creature for a poorly-equipped level 1 party to come across, I'd probably pick kobolds. C'mon, they're not *that* tough. You're making 'em sound like they're demon lords or something. Your whole party getting slaughtered by them is just incredibly bad luck (or perhaps gross incompetence, but I'm not gonna say that :p).

To add to the advice, I usually loot Candlekeep dry and get enough bows and helms for everyone who can use them before I even leave the place. Helms will prevent at least people like Khalid getting whacked by a lucky critical.

Guest Jarno Mikkola

Well, there was at least a few locked chests(1550 per one) in the candlekeep so it was possible to get a level even before you get out from the CK. Ah, but that was in BGT and without the traps and locks removed, ah, but that's just shows who the things go. :p

Archived