After The End.

Loké

Big shouts to Bri who preread this and gave alot of useful critisism. Also to Grim, Bigrob and BevH for encouraging me (After I pm'd them asking if this was a good idea with the lime) as well as Bri.

Anyhoo. This is sorta the opposite of my darkfic-what if Imoen had returned the feelings?

EDIT: For the sake of ease, look at the avatar for an idea of Kietach's apperance.

---------------------------

Winthrop looked out from behind his bar to the window that the rain was apparently trying to smash, judging by the noise it was making while hitting it. Not surprisingly, everyone was either in one of the schooling halls, the keep or the warm inn.

Anywhere that gave shelter from the storm basically.

He gave a heartfelt sigh of sympathy for anyone out in the storm, and started polishing the bar with a rag, when one of the monks who had been sitting by the fire came over. When he realised what the monk was intending

Winthrop looked up to him and greeted him, “Hullo Marcus. Water again?â€Â

The monk gave a gentle smile, “Not this time, thank you. Some goat’s milk please.â€Â

Shortly after Winthrop had gone downstairs into the cellar for the milk, the door opened revealing two hooded figures. One was five foot seven, the taller six foot two - judging by the shoulder width the cloak displayed, a man, and both of them had large puddles forming under them as the water ran freely off their cloaks. One or two of the drinkers looked to the figures curiously as the said pair closed the door but most ignored them, huddling closer to the fire to recover from the cold air suddenly allowed in.

They walked up to Marcus who was still at the bar whom, being one of the people who’d looked to the door when it had been opened, looked up to where the taller one’s face would have been; but both were hidden by the shadows caused by the cloak’s hoods.

“May I help you?†He asked amicably.

The taller one looked at him and asked in a voice that was obviously male, “Where is Winthrop?â€Â

Marcus looked confusedly at him. “How do you know his name, if you don’t mind me asking.â€Â

“Wouldn’t *you* like to know…†Murmured the shorter one. The voice was female.

Marcus looked taken aback but before he could respond Winthrop emerged behind the bar.

“Ah, new customers! What would you like good sirs?†He asked in his easy-going way.

“You’re finest room.†The tall one replied.

“That’s quite expe-“

“Cost is not a problem.†The shorter one interrupted.

Winthrop paused, and looked at the smaller one pensively.

“You sound like a girl who used to live here.â€Â

“Do I?†The voice sounded amused.

“Yea. Imoen was ‘er name. Quite the bundle of mischief, that she was.â€Â

“The key?†The taller one interjected.

Winthrop looked taken aback for a moment, but his innkeeper mode overrode his response.

“Aye, here we are sir,†he said, producing the key. “Best room in the building, twenty gold a night.â€Â

Wordlessly, the taller one reached into a fold into his cloak and there was the sound of jingling. He produced a ruby the size of a man’s fist, drawing gasps from both men at the bar, and several people watching the interaction, placed it on the table with a small ‘thunk’ and simply said

“Tell us when that’s used up.â€Â

Before taking the hand of the smaller figure, walking past Marcus towards the staircase and ascending said object.

Winthrop looked at the ruby in amazement, his mouth open and his eyes wide like a fish. Marcus looked at it in awe before a thought suddenly occurred to him.

He turned to the pair and called out “Don’t you need to be shown where it is?â€Â

The pair stopped, exchanged a glance and replied with amusement evident in their voices, “No.†and went upstairs.

Then as Winthrop and the rest of the people looked at the ruby the elven scholar Tanya muttered to herself “It couldn’t be…â€Â

But every fibre of her body was screaming otherwise.

############################################################

As soon as the larger one had closed and locked the door to the bedroom behind him, the smaller one dropped her cloak.

“I can’t *believe* they didn’t guess!†Imoen practically squealed giggling.

Kietach dropped his cloak, a huge smirk on his face, and he spoke with barely contained laughter.

“Did you see the look on his face when I plonked that ruby in front of him? I thought he was going to have a seizure!â€Â

He couldn’t hold it in any longer and laughed, Imoen joining in. The said person sat heavily on the huge, soft, feather bed before discarding her walking boots and began to unclasp some of the catches on the sides of the studded leather armour she was wearing.

“I can’t wait for tomorrow,†she said, her eyes shining with excitement and mischief, “the looks on their faces will be priceless! Especially Ulraunt and Tethoril’s!â€Â

She sat there excitedly for a moment before succumbing to laughter again as no doubt she imagined their faces.

While she giggled hysterically, Kietach removed his elven chain mail and boots so he was simply in a tunic and a pair of trousers, before kneeling in front of Imoen and proceeding to gently rub her feet.

The room was quite small, or rather the four-poster bed was very large, as there was only enough room for a small wardrobe (opposite the door) and chest-of-draws (on the right as you entered) for other furniture, and there was a private toilet and bath in the adjoining room.

He looked around the room with a small smile as Imoen stopped giggling and gave a small whimper of appreciation as she looked down at him, smiling thoughtfully.

“You know just what to do, and when.†Imoen said warmly. “Part of me still can’t believe we’re together.â€Â

“I know what you mean,†Kietach replied, his smile widening.

They remained like that in a contented silence for several minutes, Imoen watching him as he rubbed her sore feet as he looked around pensively at the same time.

“Whatcha thinkin’?†She asked suddenly.

His response was a smirk.

“C’mon’, tell me!†She almost whined as she gently kicked into his feet, though still smiling happily.

His face took on a nostalgic smile and his voice became gentle.

“I’m just remembering how we were never allowed in here,†the smirk returned, “and that time we got caught napping on the bed.â€Â

It had been on an incredibly hot summers day; everyone had been wearing the bare minimum. Even the monks had been forced to wear something other than their standard green robes. Kietach and Imoen had been working; Kietach being drilled in swordplay in the blazing heat by the foul-tempered dwarf Bordim and Imoen had been exhausted running to and fro as errand girl, even helping the maids change the sheets in the Inn’s room.

When they’d met they immediately looked for somewhere quiet, and most importantly cool, to rest, and had fallen asleep. Imoen had… well, been Imoen and stolen the key to the bedroom. They’d stripped down to their skivvies and lain on the bed together, which was how they fell asleep. Sadly a nobleman had arrived that day, and when Winthrop opened the door…

Imoen deteriorated into giggling again, Kietach joining her.

“The look on his face was almost as good as just now!†they said in perfect unison.

They fell silent and looked at each other as they realised they’d said exactly the same thing before crying out “Almost!†in perfect synch (again) and resuming laughing.

As his laughter tailed off Kietach looked up at Imoen in the candlelight. Gods, she was beautiful. She must rival Sune. The way her slightly damp hair fell around her face, her sparkling green eyes… he stopped massaging her feet, stood up, and gently pushed her onto her back. She didn’t resist; merely ceased her laughing and looked at his right hand, which was toying with a buckle on the side of her armour idly. Imoen’s breathing became shallow, her eyes dilated and her lips parted slightly with anticipation as he gently but firmly held her wrists above her head with his other hand, leaning over her and bent low to whisper into her ear.

“After that episode it became one of my favourite fantasies, to take you in this bed.†He growled into her ear, breathing onto her neck and nibbling her right ear.

She shuddered and squirmed in pleasure as she felt his breath run along her neck and a familiar tingling heat start to build between her legs. She arched her back, gently bit her upper lip with her teeth and half closed her eyes in bliss.

‘*Damn*, he’s gotten *good* at this,’ she thought idly.

“Mmm… well…†She murmured, “Why don’t we make it a reality?†She responded as she smiled coyly through her half-lidded eyes.

Kietach’s eyes darkened, his voiced lowered with lust and his smile became a smirk.

“‘Why don’t we?’ indeed.†He quietly growled, and as he started unbuckling the straps to her armour with his right hand, while at the same time his left released her wrists from above her head and went exploring places that he would never tire of visiting.

##########################################################

Despite the fact sunlight had streamed through the open shutters and curtains for a good few hours, it was still late morning when Kietach awoke, his body sticky with sweat from last night’s activities. He felt a weight on his right arm and rolled onto his side to see what it was.

‘It’ was Imoen lying under the bed-sheets. Imoen, lying on her side facing him, still holding his large hand in her delicate right hand from just before she’d fallen asleep, shortly before him. His face formed a gentle smile when he looked at her.

Her dishevelled hair made her look even cuter than normal, and she was holding her pillow with her left hand, a small smile on her face as she breathed deeply.

She looked so peaceful. Part of him wondered how he’d managed to live without her before.

He unconsciously curled his right arm up, removed his hand from her grip, placed it on her right buttock and edged over gently, so she was now lying in his arms. As if she was aware, her small smile grew to become a full sized smile and she snuggled into him, giving a small sigh.

He watched her sleep for nearly an hour and a half more; she’d been tired last night… so much so that at one point he’d carried her during the journey from Beregost to Candlekeep. How she’d had enough energy for sex after it he was still mildly bemused over. After waiting for another half hour he decided to wake her up. His left hand slowly and smoothly slid along from her hip, to up along her waist, to her shoulder before gently stroking her cheek with his forefingers. Her face twitched slightly and she gave a small moan, but otherwise, nothing.

His smile transformed into a devious grin Imoen would be proud of. He’d wake her up alright…

The fingers stopped stroking her face and proceeded to wander down to her upper chest, stroking the skin just under her neck.

No response at all that time.

He moved is hand lower, now gently massaging her right breast. She whimpered and arched her back slightly, but she still wouldn’t wake up. He lay there next to her, gently massaging the soft tissue while thinking to himself ‘She must have been more tired than she let on.’

After nearly ten minutes he decided to make his right hand known too. He carefully rolled her onto her back, and with her bottom resting on his hand, moved it down towards the area between her legs, massaging with his other hand all the while. As he tried to gently part her legs he raised an eyebrow in surprise as he watched her legs smoothly part under the sheets to grant him easier access. He looked at Imoen’s face with a mixture of annoyance and amusement as an small smile graced her face.

“You’re naughty, taking advantage of a sleeping girl like this.†She murmured.

He grinned. “You’re not asleep. When did you wake up?â€Â

“Let’s just say, my breasts are feeling sensitive after last night my love.â€Â

He raised his eyebrow again. “That long? You little minx…†as he spoke, his right hand proceeded on it’s original course, Imoen’s eyes shooting open and she gasped as her body gave a small jolt in surprise as his hand reached it’s destination. She melted into his arms, moaning and shuddering in approval at his ministrations.

“We’re going to be a while before we go down, my love.†Kietach said. It was less a question, more a statement.

Imoen bit her lower lip and hoarsely whispered ‘Good.’

#############################################################

It was early evening, the clouds in the sky a rich orange, when they finally surrendered to hunger and came downstairs with their arms around each other’s waists for something to eat. They were wearing their armour again, as not only was it what they were used to but simply because it was also surprisingly comfortable.

Very few people were in the main room as they walked down the stairs, and the handful that was were talking to each other in front of the fire and didn’t notice the pair.

They went into the dining area and Winthrop was there, cleaning some of the silver goblets, his back to the door.

Imoen’s face took on a wicked look as she looked at her lover and put her finger to his lips. He (very reluctantly) let her disentangle herself from him and watched as she silently crept over to Winthrop.

Kietach smiled as he stood there.

He’d seen what had attracted Imoen; Winthrop’s money-pouch was lying on the table next to him.

Even after knowing her for thirteen years, he still couldn’t believe how quietly she could move when she wanted to. She was as quiet as a cat at this moment, even with a cat-like facial expression.

As she reached out for the pouch Winthrop remarked, “I don’t know about where you come from, but it’s rude for people to steal around here,†without looking away from the goblet he was polishing.

Kietach chuckled silently as Imoen looked like a rabbit in headlights for a moment before she recovered and cried out

“Damn it, I must be losing my touch! You *never* used to catch me Puffguts…â€Â

Winthrop stiffened at the use of his nickname and whipped around. When he saw Imoen he dropped the goblet in surprise and captured her in a large embrace which she happily returned

“Imoen! It’s really you, me girl! Tanya said she thought that cloaked pair were you and Kietach!†He exclaimed, apparently not believing what he was seeing or feeling.

“Nah, I’m not your girl anymore Puffguts-I’m Kietach’s now,†she grinned cheekily at him. Kietach couldn’t help thinking that she looked like a child at that moment. She looked so innocent.

Winthrop looked at her amazed. “So he finally nabbed ya! I knew he was sweet on you…†he trailed off, evidently an obvious question occurring to him.

He released her and asked, “Where is he?â€Â

“Right here, and have been for several minutes. I came in with Imoen. You saw her hand in the reflection of the goblet, right?†Kietach butted in as Imoen pouted as she realised the simple reason Winthrop caught her.

Winthrop turned to look at him and gasped in surprise.

“Aye that I did Kietach…. I’d never recognise ya… you’ve grown, and not just upwards.â€Â

He was right. Kietach had been a meagre five foot eleven when he’d left and not especially muscular. He was taller than Winthrop now, who was an impressive six-foot two himself, and his muscles had developed significantly.

“Yep, and he’s all *mine*!†Imoen giggled as she glomped said person, Kietach automatically wrapping his arm around her waist and resting his hand on her thigh.

Winthrop looked at the pair and smiled sadly.

“I feel like a dad findin’ out me little girl’s become a woman.†He said, shaking his head slowly as he bent over to pick up the goblet.

“Which you have, haven’t you Imoen…†he chuckled in amusement as he bent back up with the retrieved goblet.

Imoen stuck a mock indignant pose and jokingly cried out “Whatever makes you think that!?â€Â

“The fact you’ve been in your room all day, and at certain times I could hear the thumping down here?†He responded innocently.

The couple’s only response was a healthy blush.

“Perverted, dirty old man,†muttered Imoen, “I haven’t forgotten that Radiant Heart book,†she giggled as a wicked smirk crossed her face.

“In fact Puffguts, it’s proven quite useful some of the stuff I saw in there,†and before he could respond to that comment she asked in an innocent voice, “Do you still have it in your room?â€Â

A rather flustered Winthrop muttered something inaudible as Kietach asked him if there was anything to eat.

“Well they’ll be some stew ready in about an hour. Why don’t you go and look around?â€Â

Kietach looked at Imoen, who nodded, and they left Winthrop to his cleaning with a ‘see you later’.

They walked through the bar room and outside into the open air… and the rather muddy dirt road. Kietach swore under his breath as his right boot sank several inches into the mud with a ‘squelch’.

Imoen either didn’t notice or ignored it, as she suggested

“Why don’t we go to the apothecary’s hall first?â€Â

Kietach gave her a funny look. “Last time I checked you couldn’t *stand* those places.â€Â

“Well that was then, ‘n… well†Imoen trailed off and idly drew circles in the mud with the end of her boot.

Kietach gave her a gentle squeeze with the arm around her waist, kissed her on the head and murmured into her hair “You don’t know where to go either, huh?â€Â

She pulled her head from under him, looked into his eyes and gave a weak smile. “That obvious?â€Â

About an hour later…

Hull leant against the inner wall of the battlements looking exactly how he felt-bored. He’d been watching Bordim drill the boys, and even some of the girls who lived in the keep, all day. Bordim was in a foul temper after last night and was taking it out on his students-apparently he’d lost his warhammer, or some such problem.

‘wouldn’t be surprised neither,’ Hull thought as he sighed, ‘he’d been a bit tipsy.’

He had also the suspicion that the barracks was going to need it’s tiles redone after last night’s storm, which meant that he’d be up there after this wretched watch had finished.

He gave another heartfelt sigh. What a bloody awful day this was turning out to be.

As if on que he was drawn out of his thoughts by a loud clang, followed by a torrent of swearing from Bordim. He looked to the source of it and chuckled. He’d set students off sparring with one another, and apparently one student had somehow managed to wallop Bordim on the head. Fortunately Bordim had been in his armour so only his ego (and helmet) had been dented.

Hull didn’t envy that lad’s position. He’d be training with a practice sword weighing more than double that of the standard, albeit blunt, long sword they practised with for weeks.

“WHAT THE BLOODY ‘ELL WERE YEH THINKIN’ YEH STUPID BUGGER! IF I WEREN’T WEARING ME ‘ELMET I’D BE DEAD THANKS TO YOU BOY!â€Â

“We could be so lucky,†Hull muttered to himself.

The young man, a human in this case, looked suitably sheepish as the other students (And a fair number of passer-by) watched his dressing down. Some of the girls noticed something far more interesting though, and started whispering excitedly to one another. Hull couldn’t look down the road from where he was positioned, but it must have been something special-even the boys were talking excitedly. This went unnoticed by the trainer and his trainee as both were too absorbed in their current conversation. Even if it was entirely one-sided.

“I-I’m sorry Mr. Mineforge, but I saw-“

“I DON’T CARE IF YOU SAW SUNE HERSELF DOING A BLOODY STREAPTEASE, WHEN YER FIGHT YA DON’T GET DISTRACTED! WHAT IF I’D BEEN SOME PISSED OFF ORC!?â€Â

“Then you’d have the body to match the temper.†Kietach said from behind him.

Bordim whipped around, snapped “Shut your mouth Kietach and for buttin’ in, ten laps around the keep NOW!†and turned back to the human to resume yelling at him.

Hull’s mouth dropped open when he saw Kietach. He wasn’t… well… wasn’t young anymore. He was grown up. His hair was messier, he was slightly thinner in the face, muscles were clear under his armour and clothing… and what equipment! Elven chainmail and several weapons that at even at twenty feet Hull could tell were magical. He looked towards Hull and rolled his eyes while nodding his head to Bordim’s direction, and then continued walking along the road past the swooning girls to inside the stables.

Hull sighed. Someone had gone far in the world. As the new guard came to relieve him, Hull intended to find out just how far over a few drinks tonight. Some of the stories he’d heard about him and his party… fighting Demagorgon for example… seemed too incredible to be true.

Kietach paused behind the door after he’d closed it behind him to let his senses adjust to the gloom of the stables and smell of hay and straw. The layout of the stables had changed. The actual stables themselves were in the same place, along the right of the building, but the huge pile of straw was now in the far left, and the hay was in the near-left corner. The odd shaft of light pierced the wooden walls, and it was extremely picturesque.

He walked over to the pile of straw, past the one or two horses and cows that were in their stables, sat down in the straw, and waited. He didn’t have to wait long. Imoen lay down beside him, seemingly from nowhere, several minutes later.

“They’ve changed it a little,†she murmured lazily as they lay there cuddling each other, Imoen resting her head on his chest and the pair only being watched by a bored looking cow.

Kietach asked Imoen where she’d been, who she’d seen when they’d split up.

“Aw… nowhere really. I felt tired still and had a nap. Winthrop woke me up an’ I came here like we said we would.â€Â

“I thought I mighta missed ya!†She giggled as she pushed herself up and gave him a quick kiss on the nose.

They lay there in each other’s arms silently for the rest of the hour, simply enjoying each other’s presence. The shafts of light retreated through the wood as the sun set behind the battlements and night came. Just before they went back to the inn though, Imoen rested her forearms on Kietach’s chest, using them to prop herself up, and looked into his eyes.

“I love you,†she said, looking touchingly fragile, before kissing him deeply on the lips.

As they made their way to the inn Kietach wrapped his arm around her, pulled her into him, kissed her on the lips and whispered into her ear “I love you too Immy,†and they both smiled at his pet name for her.

In the gentle gloom of the morning sun Imoen lay naked on her back in their bed, running her arms and legs along the sheets, revelling in the feeling of the new silk sheets Winthrop had had the maids make the bed with.

As a thought occurred to her, her face fell and she turned her head to face the window and the sunlight. She tucked her knees up to her chin and sighed worriedly as she stared out the window. It certainly explained why she had felt so tired during the walk to the keep and right now as well as all those other things… but…

…How was she going to tell him?

How would he react? Would be angry? Upset?

How would she manage if he…

She started trembling at the thought, chiding herself for getting herself worked up, ‘He’d never willingly leave me… I mean, he coulda become a god ‘nstead of stay with me ‘n he didn’t.’

The terror of losing him so soon after finding him wouldn’t stop gnawing away inside though.

Meanwhile

Kietach slammed his ale onto the bar as he grimaced and shuddered at the sensation of the alcohol taking a layer off his throat and gullet. The dwarven ale Bordim had ordered him was *dire*.

“Greet stuff, eh laddie?†The said dwarf cried happily on his left before downing an entire tankard of the offending liquid in one go. Hull sat on his right drinking a beer. The pair had collared him at dawn when he’d been going to speak to Tethoril, and pumped him for information ever since. The news that Kietach and Imoen, the (in) famous Bhaalspawns were in Candlekeep had spread like Jan Jansen’s reputation to blither away, so a small crowd of people had crowded Winthrop’s inn to see them. Kietach sighed again as he let his head hang.

“Och, we’ve tired the wee half-elf oot ‘ull. That,†and Bordim acquired a lecherous gaze, “that or ‘eez in need of that pink-‘aired wench.â€Â

Kietach tensed as part of him wanted to introduce Bordim’s head to Celestial Fury. Everyone except Bordim, who was drunk even by a dwarf’s standard, noticed it and those who knew Kietach when he was younger braced themselves for blood.

He silently got up and walked past the parting crowd, upstairs to their room however.

Winthrop gave out a quiet sigh of relief and Hull swore quietly. When Imoen had been seventeen quite a few boys had been vying for her attention, and she’d flirted with them mercilessly, but never gone further than just that. Eventually a self-righteous elf had called her a slut in front of Kietach-they promptly received a broken arm from him. Gorion and Imoen had both told him off (Imoen about him fighting her battles) but Kietach hadn’t been the least bit sorry. Winthrop turned to look at the dwarf told him, “I think you’ve had enough Bordim.â€Â

The dwarf looked at him, gave a small belch and slurred ‘Whad’id *I* do?

Imoen turned her head to the door as it rattled.

“Who’s there?†She called.

“Me.†Responded Kietach. The tone of his voice made her frown as she waved her hand and muttered the spell Knock under her breath. As he heard the bolt shoot back in the lock he opened the door looking angry and upset. As Imoen sat up and let the sheets pool around her waist, Kietach closed the door and locked it. They looked at each other, one curious, the other upset.

Imoen shivered and wrapped the sheets around her as she asked, “What’s wrong?â€Â

Imoen’s lips quirked with the sound Kietach made-a growl and sigh of exasperation at the same time.

“I know I shouldn’t be so upset about this,†He muttered, sitting heavily on the edge of the bed. After bouncing once, Imoen scooted over next to him and wrapped her left arm around his neck and she rested her head on his left shoulder, her back to the edge of the bed.

“You wanna talk about it my love?†She murmured as she tilted her head to one side and played with his hair.

“…Not really,†he said as he tilted her to her left and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around his back and snuggled into his chest. He gave a wry chuckle. “Just a drunk Bordim being an offensive dickhead. As usual.â€Â

Imoen giggled.

“About us.â€Â

Her giggling died immediately.

“What did he say?†she asked, eyes narrowing.

“It…†He was going to try and dismiss it, but Imoen had ‘that look’ on her face. “He basically said when I’d had enough of that crap he calls ale, that ‘I was off to see that pink-haired wench’.â€Â

Imoen looked out the window sadly.

“He was absolutely pissed Immy, he’s not too bad if he isn-â€Â

“But he’s got a point,†Imoen interrupted softly, “we do it all the time… do you… do you think that that’s all our relationship is sometimes?

“No!†Kietach practically shouted, “We’ve known each other for thirteen years and been together for two! We’ve been through Sarevok, Irenicus and Amellison! We gave up becoming a god for each other Immy!†He fell silent, watching Imoen look down into her lap morosely.

That’s when it dawned on him.

“That’s not what’s worrying you though.†He stated as he looked at her with confusion.

She shook her head slightly.

“What is it?†he asked gently, wrapping his arms around her. ‘She’s trembling’ he thought as he rocked her gently. “Please tell me…†He whispered into her ear.

“I… I lied about what I did yesterday. I’ve found out why I’ve been tired. “

Kietach waited for her to go on.

“I actually found out in Beregost, but I wanted to be sure, so I visited the apothecary here ‘n they agreed ‘n…†She trailed of, fidgeting with the sheets nervously.

Kietach sat there silently, waiting for her to summon her courage. She looked at him with frightened eyes and whispered four words.

Four words that would change their lives forever.

In the dark crypts beneath Candlekeep was Gorion’s tomb, and at the end of it was Kietach sitting, like a statue guarding the tomb, as he processed what Imoen had said.

The part of him that wasn’t running in autopilot was also the part that wasn’t the least bit surprised, as autopilot section kept repeating the words Imoen had said.

“I’m carrying our child.â€Â

They had sex regularly, and it wasn’t as if they’d had contraceptives at their disposal during their travelling… no, hardly surprising at all this had happened.

But it still was somehow.

All he could think of was the fear he felt inside.

He was scared, as scared as when he’d thought Imoen had died in Spellhold. He was scared he wouldn’t be able to care for her… for them.

He was scared he’d be a bad father.

…

…

…a father.

He smiled.

He was going to be a father…

The message that Imoen was pregnant gradually faded away, or was at least drowned out by the voice inside repeating that simple message:

The fear started dying, excitement and happiness replacing it.

And then the dread started creeping back in as autopilot shut down, and he realised what he’d done. He’d simply sat up and left her sitting there. Not a word, nothing. He vaguely remembered her crying, and calling out for him to stay.

Before he was halfway through remembering, he was already running.

"PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!" I cried tearfully to Kietach's retreating figure from the doorway as he walked away from me like a golem. As he left I fell to my knees and wept bitterly as I hugged myself, whispering 'Please' to the empty corridor.

The darkness of the stables suited my mood. It was a thick, as thick as my depression was strong. I don't know how long I'd there sat there after I'd come here after dressing, legs folded in the hay, staring blankly into the darkness. I'd been there for… four… five hours? I cried silently, the tears gliding down my cheeks, a damp patch on my left thigh due to all the crying 'd already done. I gave a thin smile despite my mood. I'd always come here when I was upset. My smile faded as I remembered that Kietach had always managed to make me feel better if he'd been the one to find me.

'So this is it... after all we've been through, *everything* we've suffered, all his-*our* promises, he's left m… left… us,' I thought to myself. I could feel it growing inside of my again, and I tried to suppress it, but after the first sob broke out it was as if a dam had broken, I let the feeling of horror inside overwhelm me again and I began weeping again as I held my head in my hands for nearly fifteen minutes.

As I heard the latch lift I stopped sobbing and lifted my head. When I turned to see whom it was I just sat there.

"Kietach…" I said as I felt yet more tears running freely down my eyes again as I sniffed. The feeling of terror and the trembling had returned as he looked at me emotionlessly. I wanted him to say something, *anything*. The silence was killing me. But at the same time, I was dreading him to speak. I was terrified, the same thought repeating itself in my head:

'He's come to tell me he's leaving.'

My thoughts were interrupted by him speaking. "I've looked everywhere for you, Immy."

My ears immediately perked up, along with my hope. He only ever called me that when he was happy. My mind clicked in a nanosecond as I realised what he was, or wasn't as the case may be, going to do.

Kietach meanwhile had walked up to me and sat down next to me. I just looked at him, hardly daring to breath. And then he smiled at me. And hugged me. I just sat there for a few seconds before it fully sank in that he really *wasn't* going to abandon m-us, that he *was* going to stay. Next thing I knew, I was hugging him back 'n kissing him and just so relieved.

That line of action came to a brief halt when he asked me a question. 'Will you marry me?' he asked. I pulled away from him and looked into his eyes in disbelief while he sat there looking nervously at me, hands on my waist.

I felt my eyes water and my lips curve into a smile before I whispered "I Thought you'd never ask."

-The end… for now.

Archived