More bugs (2.4)

Guest Your usual guest

For the second issue, I'm not even sure whether its Amber mod causing the problem or not, since I have the German version of Amber installed now but when I talk to the demon (Selfishness), it talks in English about taking one of my dear companions (therefore must be from some mod). To test that, i went the selfish route and Amber was taking the damage. I suppose that this part of the Amber mod was not translated yet then? (I can't think of which other mod would make Amber take the damage instead of the actual mod's NPC)

For those that are curious about the cause behind this: Imoen romance mod makes additions to the selfishness demon dialogue, but does not to check if Imoen is actually in the party during this encounter.

I've been playing BG2 for the second time with Amber now, this time with a female protagonist and letting Amber romance player2.

I noticed that there are several translation errors where Amber refers to player1 as a male even though the other half of the same dialogue seems to know that player1 is female. Also one instance of a missing < leading to code displaying and one instance of no valid reply links for an amber initiated flirt.

Some more major issues i encountered were that Amber was quiet for a long time (even after utilizing advancerealtime) after the first star-night talk (she wants a 2nd one). The second one only triggered some 5 days later when my reputation changed due to a quest and i was in the government building (handing over valygar). Looks like i would have been stuck if my rep didn't change or so...

Also, the other issue was the morning-after talk not triggering properly after the inn scene. Only triggered a day or two later when I was questing in the atkatla crypts and about to exit the spider dome area for the lower crypt area.

Other than that, the romance was fine. This time around I didn't have troubles with lorraine's son either. He properly recognized her.

I noticed that there are several translation errors where Amber refers to player1 as a male even though the other half of the same dialogue seems to know that player1 is female.

I'll report that to Fey, of cource it would help if you could give some examples of the talks where this happens.

Also one instance of a missing < leading to code displaying and one instance of no valid reply links for an amber initiated flirt.

Do you remember what was the code that was displayed? Or any other details that might help me to locate this flirt? This issue has been reported before and I looked through all flirt, but couln't see where the error was.

Some more major issues i encountered were that Amber was quiet for a long time (even after utilizing advancerealtime) after the first star-night talk (she wants a 2nd one). The second one only triggered some 5 days later when my reputation changed due to a quest and i was in the government building (handing over valygar). Looks like i would have been stuck if my rep didn't change or so...

There are two talks of the night sky, but they are not in any relation to each other. One of them is a 'floating' talk that should trigger at night when you are in a non-city location after you've had at least few talks of the general talk track. The other (the one with kissing) is the second talk of the lovetalk track, the first lovetalk being the one about bounty notice.

Neither of two check reputation, as far as I can remember none of the talks do actually, save of course the low reputation warnings.

Also, the other issue was the morning-after talk not triggering properly after the inn scene. Only triggered a day or two later when I was questing in the atkatla crypts and about to exit the spider dome area for the lower crypt area.

I'll find you the post where this is discussed soon, but it's basically a 'feature' to which I can do little about. IIRC it has happened to me with both Kelsey and Anomen + flirtpack. However, it does not happen every time.

Oh, and I should note that for the second star-night talk, amber actually initiated the talk with player1 instead of player2 incl the kissing part.

Can you give me the value of the GLOBAL variable called M#AmberMatch?

Its 3 last I checked.

The issue where a < was missing was relating to PRO_HISHER as a dialogue branch response (i think it was when telling amber about player1)

Not sure which flirt had the no valid replies and links issue anymore.

The night sky talks are actually related in that they have to occur after each other. If you ask amber, she will tell you first to take her to the nightsky. asking after the first talk will yield the same response. In my first amber run i could get both within 2 consecutive days in the same area.

Also, those aren't related to bounty. The first one is about her telling you about Sasha and the second one watching a star.

There seems to be some triggering problem i suppose, as it happened during day in the government building for me and she talked to player1.

As you say its not linked to reputation, i should note i had given amber the anti-alignment amulet found at ymmyrt's as im running an evil party this time. The reputation went down (from 8 to 5) and the talk triggered.

Not quite sure which talks exactly had the male/female issue, but it tended to be "ihn" instead of "sie" or "freundes" instead of "freundin" and "er" instead of "sie". Quite scattered throughout the lovetalks really.

Its 3 last I checked.

The issue where a < was missing was relating to PRO_HISHER as a dialogue branch response (i think it was when telling amber about player1)

Not sure which flirt had the no valid replies and links issue anymore.

Okay, I'll try to find it.

The night sky talks are actually related in that they have to occur after each other.

Heh, believe me when I say that they are not dependent on each other. :D

If you ask amber, she will tell you first to take her to the nightsky. asking after the first talk will yield the same response.

Ah, there seems to be a little logical oversight there. The click talk (How are you doing Amber?), that tells you what to do if there's an upcoming talk with special conditions, doesn't notice which 'floating' talks have been triggered and which have not. The talk in which she tells you about Sasha is one of the abovementioned 'floating' talks, which means that they are not directly connected to the main talk track.

The fact that those two talks occurred one after the other is quite an unfortunate coincidence. Fortunately, it should also be quite a rare one: since the floating night sky talk (about Sasha) can occur already very early in the game (if you travel in the wilderness at night, that is) and the other one (the love talk with the kissing) will only be triggered when you are quite far advanced in the romance, they are unlikely to occur near each other. (Unless you have manually advanced the game timer.)

I can, however, also put a condition to the Sasha star talk which will prevent it from triggering anywhere near the other star talk, just to avoid confusing people. :)

There seems to be some triggering problem i suppose, as it happened during day in the government building for me and she talked to player1.

As you say its not linked to reputation, i should note i had given amber the anti-alignment amulet found at ymmyrt's as im running an evil party this time. The reputation went down (from 8 to 5) and the talk triggered.

Okay, I think I know what went wrong. I'll try to explain it as simply as I can, although it does get a bit technical. :(

Sometimes when triggering talks using the dream script (in other words, having talks that trigger once you hit the rest button), the triggering is interrupted by something else going on in the engine and the talk never actually fires. This can happen for example when multiple dream scripts try to fire things simultaneously. Because the script 'thinks' that the talk has already been triggered, it won't try to trigger it again. That's why it took so long before the talk triggered.

Why, then, did the stars lovetalk eventually come up at all, and why in such a strange place? When your reputation dropped the script triggered the reputation warning talk (with the leader of the party, i.e. Player1). When a talk is triggered by a script, the engine goes through the relevant dialogue file from top to bottom. The first talk whose requirements are met will fire, regardless of which one it is. Since the stars lovetalk is physically located in the dialogue file above the low reputation warning and had its conditions still return true, it fired instead of it.

I hope the above explanation managed to shed some light on the strange behaviour you observed.

Not quite sure which talks exactly had the male/female issue, but it tended to be "ihn" instead of "sie" or "freundes" instead of "freundin" and "er" instead of "sie". Quite scattered throughout the lovetalks really.

I'll have to ask Fey what to do. There's literally nothing I can do about the errors in the German translation (since I don't really know any German).

You seem to have an unfortunate knack for hitting these seemingly little bugs in the mod and quirks of the engine that end up amounting to a horrible consequences in some sort of crazy avalanche effect. I hope that if you ever try the mod again you won't have such a rotten luck. :)

Yeah, but i suppose it helps finding all kinds of problems :)

And I just remembered another I encountered...

In the slaver compound with Amber kidnapped 2 captains will spawn. One of them is Haegan and one is Amber specific. However, Haegan will talk first and you have the Amber dialogue option, but after you kill him and his minions, you will not receive the map nor letter. So you need to talk to the other captain now who watched his comrades getting killed, doing nothing. He will then tell you that he just took over from Haegan (literally) and you need to fight him to get the stuff required to go to Ymmyrt's.

I think only one of those should be spawning and the items should be on the one spawning eh?

Yeah, but i suppose it helps finding all kinds of problems :)

And I just remembered another I encountered...

In the slaver compound with Amber kidnapped 2 captains will spawn. One of them is Haegan and one is Amber specific. However, Haegan will talk first and you have the Amber dialogue option, but after you kill him and his minions, you will not receive the map nor letter. So you need to talk to the other captain now who watched his comrades getting killed, doing nothing. He will then tell you that he just took over from Haegan (literally) and you need to fight him to get the stuff required to go to Ymmyrt's.

I think only one of those should be spawning and the items should be on the one spawning eh?

That should definitely not be happening, although we have made some changes to how that portion of the quest is handled along the way, so there may well be some latent funkiness hidden somewhere. Could you please send a copy of the area script of the area in question (ar0405.bcs) from your override folder, so that we can try to figure out what on earth is going on.

Heya,

I apologize for all the translation errors. I spotted lots of typos myself and will make a text fix as soon as I can.

Honestly, I re-read the text about three times only to correct gender mistakes that result in using Trados and copying 100% matches without double-checking for the genders. And believe me, I spotted *lots* of those little mistakes that sneak their way into the text without you even noticing it.

In any case, thanks for playing the German version, I hope you like the translation in general despite of the gender mistakes.

I'll be thankful for any specific line you can remember, and I promise to thoroughly proofread everything again. The P2 lovetalks were bound to cause problems, I knew it... >.< Especially all the different P2 parents and childhood talks drove me crazy... Trados can be a two-edged sword.

I'll open a separate thread for the translation, so that we can discuss my errors there - they aren't real bugs, after all, but HUGE thanks for reporting them. :)

Archived