I just want to say ...

Caliginous

Maybe the next version will be, if that guy who volunteered met her exacting standards.

He dissapeared right after going to get that special piece of equipment. So, yeah, voicing is on hold yet again. Until voicing happens Kivan is using his BG1 voice-set. It can be deleted by going to the override folder and deleting all p#kiv***.wav files.

Big Rob can voice Aklon himself, like JC did Kelsey.

QUOTE(BigRob @ Mar 9 2007, 03:03 AM) *

My initial advice would be to check for progress monthly... If my writing speed picks up sharply, you'll be pleasanly surprised, if not, you'll be alright. Still, conversation has picked up a lot this last couple of weeks. smile.gif

That's because we're talkative ladies! rolleyes.gif

Like hells we are. XD

*Considers a possibility:

1) PC wants Aklon and starts to notice she has competition;

2) PC starts to get tired of Aerie;

3) PC finally snatches a History of Nether Scrolls from Edwin, goes to a quest to find one and uses it to restore Aerie's wings;

4) Conveniently(Edwin is standing just behind the corner) the wind rises;

5) Aerie, still quite confused, gets blown away;

6) They live happily ever after.*

hahaha for a reason I don't like Aerie at all - she's too much a sissy and I just can't stand people that can't pull it together. Sure she suffered but dear lord there's only so much time you can spend on whining.

perfect one there tho!

Oh dear, such a welter of expectations... let's hope Aklon's up to them.

everyone's rootin' for him!

Yes, Aklon will be both in SoA and ToB, and I've already got the romance track for ToB pretty much worked out. Now, I was going to release the SoA portion first, to help cu down on the waiting, but it seems a lot of people want both parts together. I might put up a poll about that as I draw nearer to finishing SoA.

If releasing them separately won't create a problem (like corruption in files, yuck it happened to me once just cuz I'm able to crash a microwave) then why not release SoA first and then ToB >> we'll play them one by one anyway and SoA takes me 5 days to complete!

As for the unfortunate choice of name for Tsujatha's lost love, I'm going to just chalk that up to just picking the first name that popped into mind. I've been in that situation myself. You sit there, staring at the screen forever, trying to come up with a name. You think over and over "I need a female name. It has to sound elvish. Argh!" And then in the end, you just pick something so that you can get over it already and move on.

haha lucky me I have a talent for coming up with names... which rises a question why my nickname is so simple.

If you don't like that explanation, here's another: It is very difficult to avoid signing your work.

By this, I mean that the desire to put in something at least a little self-referential is overwhelming. You put months/years of your life into something, and you want to put your name on it somehow. And if you're going to put your own name in the mod, would you rather give it to a hero or a villain? It isn't as if he's gasping out her name during sex or anything. Although saying it with his dying breath is a bit of a turn-off. It's all right for a friendship track, but for a romance, his last thoughts had better be of me, dammit.

So, back to Aklon again...

I wonder where BigRob will sign his mod... I'll have fun trying to spot it.

By this, I mean that the desire to put in something at least a little self-referential is overwhelming. You put months/years of your life into something, and you want to put your name on it somehow.

*dies in fits of giggles trying to imagine Xan singing around "Hey, Kulyok, hey, Kulyok..."*

Honestly, I'd prefer not to see these signings, if they exist. As for Tsujatha, I think Sillara is a also a main female character from Sillara's self-published books about the world of Gilalion.

By this, I mean that the desire to put in something at least a little self-referential is overwhelming. You put months/years of your life into something, and you want to put your name on it somehow.

Honestly, I'd prefer not to see these signings, if they exist. As for Tsujatha, I think Sillara is a also a main female character from Sillara's self-published books about the world of Gilalion.

I must be totally blind, I haven't seen any of these signings in the mods I've palyed... :) I was totally unaware that this was a common practice (which means I better understand now why Tsujatha's last breath is for Sillara. But still, like Berelinde said...

"Although saying it with his dying breath is a bit of a turn-off. It's all right for a friendship track, but for a romance, his last thoughts had better be of me, dammit." )

Maybe. Though if it provokes such an emotional reaction, it was not a bad move, after all, no?

Kivan's "My soul aches for my lost Deheriana" might be a turn-off in the romance part, too... but I don't know. I like it.

My concern is rather - well, when you die, you die. It's close to impossible to manage even "I... refuse!", let alone "Sillara forgive me!"

*dies in fits of giggles trying to imagine Xan singing around "Hey, Kulyok, hey, Kulyok..."*

I doubt eveyone does put them in. There's no berelinde in Gavin, nor was I even remotely tempted. But I'd be lying if I said that I made up all the names. That was laziness, as much as anything else.

But then, I'm amused by the possiblity that a mod would contain an inside joke, even if I would have no way to know what it is. I guess I'm easily amused.

For me, because both Sillara and Tsujatha were borrowed directly out of the novel, Tsujatha mod is more like a cross-over, than a mod for BG2. I know, it's probably an unfair impression, but by whatever reason I mislike the corss-overs. For example even with my favorite Kay I always thought that Fionavar would have been a much better book if it only substituted the 'out of the setting" characters to the ingenious ones. I think this discussion belongs in the Genmod, but I could not resist throwing my two cents in!

Kivan's "My soul aches for my lost Deheriana" might be a turn-off in the romance part, too... but I don't know. I like it.

Same here. It never 'hurt my eyes'. At least not as much as Tsu's 'aching'

For me, because both Sillara and Tsujatha were borrowed directly out of the novel, Tsujatha mod is more like a cross-over, than a mod for BG2.

True.

It was well written, but something was missing from it - probably because it wasn't written with BG in mind.

I can completely understand the desire, as a creator, to insert yourself somewhat into what you've created; however, there's self-referential and then there's irritatingly self-referential. Even if Sillara's intent was to place herself, in some small way, in the mod she had created, using the name that she's known by and placing herself as the unrequited love of a romancable male does lend itself an air of 'fourth wall breakage.' If she was simply stumped for a good elven name...I still think it would have been wiser to take another minute and find a different name. However, I get the impression that the reason the names match is because Sillara is the main character in a series of stories she had written, i.e. she made the character and then named herself that. I find it to be very similiar to berelinde's Gibberling's portrait--it's Gavin because she made Gavin, she didn't make Gavin because of her portrait. I will admit that it threw me somewhat to see the name of Tsujatha's creator, but...

My biggest beef with this mod (and at no time am I implying that it's poorly written or hard to understand--it's a very well-written mod) is the relationship between Tsujatha and Sillara. Just, for a minute, think about it in a realistic sense. Pretend that you've met this guy (I'm saying guy because the majority of the posters here are women. For all of you guy posters (BigRob) just pretend I switched the genders) and he's a really great guy and you're attracted to him, so you agree to go out with him. It's your second date and you're sitting in a nice restaurant, having just finished a great meal. You and your date (we'll name him Todd) are discussing childhood:

Todd: I had this one friend, when I was a kid, that I just worshipped...

You: Yeah?

T: Well, you know how kids can be. Her name was Sarah and she was a little bit older than me--heh, she even saved me once from a group of kids that was trying to beat me up. I swear, I followed her around like a puppy dog. I always told her I'd marry her someday...

Y: Kids are funny. So she was your best friend, huh?

T: Oh yeah. We went through high school together and even the same college. Yeah, but then she married this guy right out of school...

Y: Really?

T: Yeah, I asked her to marry me instead, but she insisted that she was in love with this guy. It really tore me up, watching her marry someone else.

Y: I see. And when was this?

T: Oh, a couple of years ago. I'll probably always love her...and I think about her every day...

Okay, okay, maybe he just said it wrong. He's a nice guy, right? And his dedication to an old friend is admirable, especially given that you've always searched for a truly loyal guy. So, you go out with him a couple times more... Then one day the two of you are strolling through a park together, on a late saturday afternoon. He breathes deeply, obviously enjoying the crisp fall air, and then turns to you...

T: I love fall. It was always Sarah's favourite time of year.

Y: Oh yeah? It's always been mine as well.

T: Fall always makes me think of her. I even dream about her more in the fall.

Y: You dream about her?

T: Well we were always so close... I even came to the city because of her.

Y: Really?

T: Yeah, there was a great apartment here that she really wanted, but she and her husband couldn't afford to move, so I'm living in the apartment until they can come here themselves. Phew, the trees are beautiful this year.

Y:(relieved) Yes, they really are.

T: Just like Sarah. Man, what a beautiful woman. It's hard to forget a beautiful woman like that. Of course, you must know exactly what I mean, being such a lovely woman. I'll bet that you have old boyfriends that still think about you daily.

Awwww, isn't that sweet? And creepy? No, no, just sweet! Okay, so maybe you don't think very fondly of 'his best friend Sarah', but he has so many other good qualities. Then, a few days later, you get a frantic call from the hospital--Todd's appendix has burst and he's going to need immediate surgery. You rush down to the hospital, intending to comfort your poor suffering boyfriend. It's obvious that he's in real pain, and...

T: Sarah! Oh god Sarah, where are you?!

You know what? Screw this.

And that's how I feel about Tsujatha. No need to thank me, I accept cash donations.*

As far as this being completely off-topic (and it is, oh god is it) I think listing our collective grievances about other male romancable mods in the Aklon forum is a good thing. No, no, hear me out. It seems as if we all agree, more or less, about what kind of character we like to see, and it also appears as if we're all eagerly awaiting this new character. By seeing, first-hand, some of the things that haven't worked in previous mods, BigRob has a chance to decide whether he wants to include any of those elements in his mod. (Okay, so I can pretty much tell that he hasn't--having read all the sneak peeks two or three times, heh--but it's still a valid argument.) On that note, I like how chatty everyone has become. We're all individual souls, connected by our love of sexy monks ~^_^~

*Ooooooooh, Alisa made a joke, made a bad, bad joke, 'twas the baddest joke in the whole wide world....

*snicker* :) Heh, I enjoyed reading this.

I remember, two years ago I've been pestering everyone at SHS(and other forums, too, I think) about constantly bringing past loves in romances and how bad it sometimes was, and so on and so forth.

In the end, I gave up and quietly decided that if a romanceable guy has a "Sarah" and doesn't let this "Sarah" go, he may be a good person, he may be my PC's friend, but a relationship is out of the question.

Guest Guest

Big Rob can voice Aklon himself, like JC did Kelsey.

Yeah, but look what happened to Kelsey. Too young, too bookish, too stilted to sound natural. I realize that there are probably budget restrictions :D when it comes to hiring professionals, but NOT using someone with a knack for it can really take away from the experience.

As for Tsujatha, I think Sillara is a also a main female character from Sillara's self-published books about the world of Gilalion.

Yes, there were some points where the mod felt like an advertisement for the books. However, it wasn't well enough written for me to want to read the books. (although, to be fair, it's undoubtedly tough to display all of your talents in a few multiple choice banters :)

As for the unfortunate choice of name for Tsujatha's lost love, I'm going to just chalk that up to just picking the first name that popped into mind.

Felt more like the author imagines herself to BE Sillara (in terms of roleplay). Casting herself as such would certainly help write books about her. But believing that messed up MY roleplay even more. Err, just saw Dragon Jewel's post about that very thing. So, what she said....

The whole Tsujatha-Sillahar thing got just too incestrous for me. In my mind, he went and found her after my Bhaalspawn ascended and lived happy ever after.

Re Aklon. Considering his portrait, I can't imagine him with a very deep voice. I'd expect it to be calm, mature, confident, soft but not high-pitched

But these things tend to be surprises, don't they?

No, no, hear me out. It seems as if we all agree, more or less, about what kind of character we like to see, and it also appears as if we're all eagerly awaiting this new character. By seeing, first-hand, some of the things that haven't worked in previous mods, BigRob has a chance to decide whether he wants to include any of those elements in his mod.

Um, that's what actually concerns me. Isn't there a risk of a character turning into someone without faults... but also without a personality?

I'd kind of like Aklon to have a tenor voice.

I know this isn't even remotely accurate, but I always imagine deeper voices coming out of big, massive rib cages. Aklon's more wiry. Also, it would just seem to fit better.

But I'm sure whatever he sounds like, I'll want to hear him.

I always imagine Aklon having a Cam Clarke kinda voice--tenor, but with deep undertone. ( Cam Clarke voiced, let's see--Skye in Jade Empire, the male blood elf in WoW, Fayard in Baldur's Gate-Dark Alliance, Leonardo the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle. Basically, if you've played a video game or watched a Disney channel cartoon, you've heard Cam Clarke.)

[q]Um, that's what actually concerns me. Isn't there a risk of a character turning into someone without faults... but also without a personality?[/q]

That is a very true and very valid point. I don't believe in the necessity of what I said--the best and sexiest people are noticeably 'flawed.' I wouldn't say I was joking, but I said that with the knowledge that Aklon's personality is already set. With that said, however, there isn't any harm in seeing what things haven't worked across the board; for instance, having a romancable character that happens to be in love with someone else, or seeing the wisdom in having a character that talks with you instead of at you. (My *actual* biggest problem with Kelsey). Talking of flawed characters--I nearly fell in love with Edwin when I played his romance, I find Xan to be sweet enough to hug (in BG and BGII), Coran was God! sexy enough to start a fire, and I just want to kiss Gavin all over. Each and every one of those characters has personality flaws--just not ingrating personality flaws. Ugh, I'm not sure if I'm making sense any more.

Archived