I just want to say ...

Caliginous

It's the Icewind Dale 2 NPC Project, which adds 10 joinable NPCs to Icewind Dale 2. It's still in development, but it's progressing nicely.

I've been doing some intermittent alpha testing for it, and it's well-written and a lot of fun.

It's the Icewind Dale 2 NPC Project, which adds 10 joinable NPCs to Icewind Dale 2. It's still in development, but it's progressing nicely.

I've been doing some intermittent alpha testing for it, and it's well-written and a lot of fun.

whoa sounds nice. I never tried ID2 mods... and now I'm tempted to do so. Ah such a pity I left ID at home. Only BG wonders the world by my side.

as for teh voicing - quite honestly I mute the voices down while playing in 90% of my gameplay ( no idea why, I just prefer to hear the splats more than the 'vitamortis' when they cast spells hehe) so I'd be ok with a mod without voice. Or at least with an option to download the mod without the ogg files (They make the file so big T_T and with my slow net downloading 10 megs takes forever :)

but I bet many people like voiced mods so I'll just shut up now.

One of the things I've been most concerned about with Aklon is not turning him into a soulless Gary Stu... He is alot more focused on <CHARNAME> than Anomen is, for various reasons, but the last thing I want is for him to be the "perfect" man. "Great", yes (well, hopefully).

Probably the two most general flaws I have tried to keep in his character is fatalism (though not to the level of Xan :) ) and some literal mindedness. When testing comes around, I'll be glad to accept criticism of the level of Gary Stu-ism and how it might be best removed.

In my opinion, BigRob, I don't think you need to worry overmuch about Aklon being a Gary Stu.

The fact that he's older than Charname and several of the PCs itself rounds him out a little in my mind. No doubt he must feel that he has the benefit of life experience and as a consequence may try to impart wordly wisdom to his sweetheart or comrades which, while surely good-intentioned, may ruffle a few feathers.

I also noticed that while Aklon has a very patient and empathetic nature, you stated that there are limits to what he'll put up with. Which is fantastic, since being unfailingly understanding and supportive at all times would seem extremely artifical. It would be good to see signs of strain beneath his normally stoic exterior in dire circumstances. And, hopefully, my Chaotic Neutral PC will have many opportunities to exasperate him - in a good way, of course. ;);)

Also, if you think about it, his irrepressible wanderlust could even be conceived as a minor flaw in some circumstances. While many years of travelling off the beaten path has no doubt made him a fascinating individual to be around, his inability to stay in one place (and, in extension, form lasting relationships) may suggest that, deep down, on some level he is either trying to escape from himself or finds it difficult to truely connect with others on an emotionally intimate level (as exemplified in his rather formal speech patterns).

Suppose his love interest wanted nothing more than to hang up her adventuring boots after defeating Irenicus/her hordes of evil siblings and settle down permanently with no desire to budge an inch afterwards? I imagine Aklon, at the very least, would be apphrehensive about that sort of lifestyle.

...Whew. I kinda rambled a bit there. :D

but I bet many people like voiced mods so I'll just shut up now.

Actually, come to think of it now, I have not really liked any of the mod voices I've played so far. Or even some of the NPC's that come with the game (why do so many have eastern European accents? Is this Faerun or Budapest?)

Tsujatha sounds stuck-up to me, Kelcey too young and bookish (and loud!), Xan's voice is hit-and-miss with me, Anomen is annoying (and too old, since everyone keeps telling him he's so young), there seems to be something wrong with my Kivan install since he's still telling me to leave him alone, and don't get me started on the train wreck that is Edwin's mother! I liked Sola's original voice though - hey, Aklon ought to sound like that!

Certainly, there has to be variety with the voices - I just don't seem to be able to match up my concept of these characters with their assigned voice sets. A matter of personal preference, I guess.

I suppose the toughest part are those default sound sets that fire when a character is clicked on, for whatever reason. Must be hard to come up with a set that works for all situations. A lot of them are awfully peevish (I.e. "what do you want now?") - why is that?

Sometimes the result is unintentionally funny (like when I sent Minsc in to fish the gem out of the toilet and he exclaims "Stand Back!" before heading in there) or just don't fit the story (like making some heroic combat-related statement when you just want someone to move aside a bit).

So, I've pretty much come to ignore the voices - it's the dialogue that counts, anyway. I'd rather have no voices than 'weird' or poorly acted ones.

why do so many have eastern European accents? Is this Faerun or Budapest?

XD I never noticed because I am fro Centre-East Europe... lol But if Faerun kinda makes the continent-pattern itself, Kara tur is Japan and Amn and up and down are Europe (and North America probably), so Tethyr and the Nether is like East Europe..? .... whoa never mind my rumbling XD

as for voicing - well professional voicing takes time, good dose of talent and really good hardware supply. I don't know about English version, but in Polish one Viconia and Irenicus bore the voices of two (in my opinion) best voices for dark characters. But even that didn't make me suffer the voice-on for very long.

I agree that Kelsey sounds too young (main reason why I felt like paedophiliac romancing him so I had to turn voice off just not to feel like one) , Anomen in polish version sounds ok but still a BIT too old (as opposed to Kelsey) Others - I didn't listen to them too much so I can't judge.

I just tend to download things without voicing right now because of the low connection speed. I didn't know there are more people who turn off voicing XD good to hear I am not alone

<<

>>

I love Bishop's voice from NWN2 but I have no idea who played in the English version so.... v.v

XD I never noticed because I am fro Centre-East Europe... lol But if Faerun kinda makes the continent-pattern itself, Kara tur is Japan and Amn and up and down are Europe (and North America probably), so Tethyr and the Nether is like East Europe..? .... whoa never mind my rumbling XD

And Mulhorand is Ancient Egypt!! :D

Regarding the voicing, I'm pretty enthusiastic about what BigRob suggests: "I tend to think of it as slow, measured and calm. Not to high, not too deep". Sounds good to me... :) And it seems totally in character anyways.

I don't know, I guess I'm too used to having voices, that if Aklon didn't have one, I'd find him lacking, somehow... ;)

And Mulhorand is Ancient Egypt!! :)

and i think Matzica is north/south america. they do mention colonies and stuff.

Just out of curiosity, how far off topic have we wandered? I don't think we could find our way back with a map.

Umm, what were we talking about already? :)Blush.gif

Oh, yeah!!! Aklon, the compelling, handsome, mysterious, attractive, collected, fascinating, knowledgeable, sweet, considerate, tolerant, modest, calm, (help me out people, I'm running out of adjectives) monk! About how he seems so great, and how we're all lining up to romance him! :DLovesick.gif

and i think Matzica is north/south america. they do mention colonies and stuff.

so yeah there IS a connetion. Chult would be like Africa.

and erm... well... offtopicness is only when you wonder too far. >>; we are still talking about Aklon

I think? *blinks*

*sets on a quest to find the topic topic*

Aklon Rocks!

(Sorry I couldn't help myself :) )

Accents don't bother me as long as they are not too strong or strident. I like that Aklon's voice will be calm and measured. I also like a soft voice with warmth and the ability for throaty chuckles. Laughter is sexy.

I also like a soft voice with warmth and the ability for throaty chuckles. Laughter is sexy.

purrs are too. and yes. throaty chuckles...

I think I'd like that.

but as I said before, we can always fill the voice ourselves if there'll be no voicing. Maybe that would be 'better' as everyone would be able to 'imagine' the voice her/himself

Archived