Amber's German Translation

Fey

If there's anything you'd like to comment on the German version of the mod, post it here.

General feedback is always welcome, but I'd be also glad to hear about all the mistakes the translation still contains.

As I said in the bugs thread, I'll try and correct all gender errors I can spot, plus loads of typos that escaped my proofreader's eyes.

Well... I'm thankful for everything you can report, and I'm curious to hear your opinion on the translation.

Fey

EDIT: Besides, I'm also curious to hear your opinion on the German soundset, any feedback on our voice actress is highly welcome. :)

I think in general the translation was well made, with the essence of the English text being conferred nicely in German, in comparison to other translations, which are often only word-for-word replacements.

As I noted in the other topic, there have been minor inconsistencies with genders, but nothing that would be utterly game breaking.

Keep up the good work. I'll see if I come across any others, but I doubt it since the LT line of talks is exhausted already (up to chapter 5 anyway).

Got a floating bath talk which is erroneous in the German version.

I remember in the English version getting a choice between going back, going closer or staying where you are to figure out who's take a bath, but in the German version, the last 2 options are translated to be exactly the same.

That's strange, I'm sure I translated the three different choices you mention. I'll see if I can find something, but a mistake like that sounds as if there's something wrong with the .tra and the corresponding .d string - but that's just my guess, I just can't find any better explanation.

Edit: Do you remember which NPC you caught bathing? I played through the dialogue just fine, with all the dialogue choices in the right place, but I had only Amber with me and couldn't check if the error occurs if you spot either Valygar, Korgan, Viconia or Aerie.

I compared every string in the German .tra with the corresponding one in the English file, but I couldn't find any hints on the error you reported. I'm almost certain now that I translated each string correctly, so I can only guess that the same error might occur in the English, version too - maybe you didn't notice it back then because you had Player1 romancing Amber.

Actually I'm quite clueless. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is the d. - .tra issue I mentioned above, so maybe Meira could check if there's something wrong.

Since this is the only NPC I have installed that actually has a fan-made German soundset, I don't have something else to compare it to except the Bioware ones, which are terrible as we all know :D

Comparing it to the English Amber, I'd say the German one was much clearer in terms of voice audibility and volume, as the English one sounded a bit muffled - as if the actress had been covering the mic with a tissue or so.

So in conclusion, I quite liked the German soundset although I suggest you probably ought to opt to make it slightly louder still because it seems to be at a lower volume than the soundsets of standard NPCs and the beauty of fan-made NPCs is that you can fully appreciate both written and spoken text.

I quite look forward to Amber in ToB too - she's been so quiet ever since leaving SoA (for obvious reasons of course) ;)

As for the error I reported earlier, I now remember that it was a string being duplicated. Didn't try whether either string gives the same result though.

So in conclusion, I quite liked the German soundset although I suggest you probably ought to opt to make it slightly louder still because it seems to be at a lower volume than the soundsets of standard NPCs and the beauty of fan-made NPCs is that you can fully appreciate both written and spoken text.

I just realised that there was one thing that I didn't think about when making the German soundset... The Bio-NPCs have German soundsets in the Greman version of the game, right? Since I have matched Amber's soundset with the English versions of the bio-NPCs soundsets it's possible that's there's a mismatch there if the German versions are recorded in louder volume. If I can acquire samples from the German bio-NPC soundset I try to match Amber's with them.

I'm playing with the german version of Amber now and I'm very pleased with the translation. Maybe sometimes a bit to verbatim, but overall very well done. The german soundset is excellent and a decent sound recording is often the hardest part for modders, so keep up the good work. :)

Archived