3 IWD2 scriptname variables

FredSRichardson

Somehow I thought IWD2 only had 1 extra scriptname variable, but it appears there are 2. The "unknown" at 0x2aa is another variable. So, for NI I've renamed what I was calling the 2nd scriptname variable to the 3rd one, e.g. for 30ILQUAG.CRE

[215] 0x2aa 32 TextString	  2nd Script name	  = 30Ilquog_Dead
[216] 0x2ca 32 TextString	  3rd Script name	  =

(I tested putting variables in both locations and they both get incremented on death).

Makes sense; I think I already have these in my NI.

I'd suggest calling them death variables (I use "Death variable 1" and "Death variable 2"); unlike the script name, I don't think these have any use beyond "increment on death." This would be after you resume work on NI, of course. ;)

This is getting confusing already.

Originally modders called the first scripting name as death variable.

Some only called the "SPRITE_IS_DEAD"+script name as death variable.

Now that iwd turns out heaps more of these variables, a mixup is truly imminent.

I agree that these new fields are only used as registering kills. (In PST they are used KillVar).

I would prefer using scripting name and kill var, because it wouldn't get confused with the old modder term which was applied on both. I myself tend to mix these names up in dltcep i think i still use deathvar.

First of all, they are references to variables (type GLOBAL), NOT a reference to a script - so to call them anything with the word "script" is wrong. Ignore those newbie modders - they probably call their cars "motorbikes", so they don't get confused! :)

Stick to the logic - it may just help them become better scripters...

(rant over :) )

It seems to me from my brief look at various monsters and these 2 variables is that at 0x2aa, a variable is given to some "single" characters, while at 0x2ca is given to some "grouped" characters (coupled with a TeamBit in a "Specifics" script?).

Perhaps a reference to "single" and "group" could be used for naming purposes?

However, if I looked at it in more depth, I could be wrong...

I'd love to get a poll on this for NI. I have to admit I found "script name" confusing as well. I'm open to suggestions: "kill var", "death var", "kill count", ... ?
The actual script name is "Script name" (always). The community isn't exactly bursting with BIS IE modders, so I think you can safely pick your favorite amongst the various "murder," "death," or "kill" labels for these two. ;)
First of all, they are references to variables (type GLOBAL), NOT a reference to a script - so to call them anything with the word "script" is wrong.

Actually, the original 'deathvar' thingie which is the ONLY such thing in BG1/BG2 was called as deathvar by everyone else, except probably me :)

And the original field is rightfully called script name, because actors could be referenced by it in scripts. It is pure coincidence that bg1/2 uses sprite_is_dead+<scripting name> as death variable too.

The blackisle games (pst/iwd) use a more complex scheme. With the new fields used as kill counting (variable increased) and/or registering (variable set).

It seems to me from my brief look at various monsters and these 2 variables is that at 0x2aa, a variable is given to some "single" characters, while at 0x2ca is given to some "grouped" characters (coupled with a TeamBit in a "Specifics" script?).

In IWD1, the two MDK_CNT variables are often used for "kill_innocent" and "townie_dead" (or something like that). One is used to determine if you've killed all the beetles in the basement or and another for the fire lizards in Dorn's deep.

I think I'll go with "death variable 1" and "death variable 2" since there's some precedence (and it does make more sense than "script name").

Archived