More Gaider

CamDawg

Cam:

In Keldorn's personal quest, if you go with Keldorn when he reconciles with Maria the party receives XP. However, if you send him on his own to reconcile you do not. Bug, or intentional?

David Gaider:

Probably intentional. Seems like the lazy way out. At best I would say you get reduced XP.

Cam:

In Trademeet Jenia would initiate her quest, referring to the PC as the Hero of Trademeet, prior to the official ceremony that designates the PC as such. Bug, or intentional?

David Gaider:

I think Jania just checks to see that the original Trademeet plot was completed, not that the ceremony was done. If not, she should. Everyone in Trademeet should know what you did.

Cam:

If the protagonist selects the 'evil' option when speaking to Sarevok in the Hell Trials, the PC gets rewarded twice with attribute bonuses. Bug, or intentional?

David Gaider:

Bug.

I'm very thrilled that David Gaider has been kind enough to answer questions of mine over email, and I've been trying really hard to not overwhelm him with thousands of nit-picky issues re: Fixpack. Suggestions for a good second round of questions here?

In David's own words, he's much better with character and story issues as he was a writer for the project. He'll try to remember any rules questions, but we'll probably be on our own for those.

If the protagonist selects the 'evil' option when speaking to Sarevok in the Hell Trials, the PC gets rewarded twice with attribute bonuses. Bug, or intentional?
You may have been misleading him with this question? I know another designer shortened the whole end sequence, but did you tell him that the first reward (a single, class-dependent stat bonus) was awarded immediately when giving in to wrath (via the area script) and the second the normal teardoor bonus?

Elhan gives 74.5K XP twice (once when giving him the lanthorn and starting the cutscene to get to the Suldanessellar entrance, and then again once you actually get there). Bug?

ToB. Bug or intentional?

Sadly, a lot of issues are technical; I can't think of many story-based problems.

You may have been misleading him with this question? I know another designer shortened the whole end sequence, but did you tell him that the first reward (a single, class-dependent stat bonus) was awarded immediately when giving in to wrath (via the area script) and the second the normal teardoor bonus?

Good point. I'll clarify and ask again.

ToB. Bug or intentional?

Mean. :)

Just realized I forgot this exchange. It's not an actionable item, but more info is always good.

(As an aside, the air portal in the Underdark constantly produces air elementals, while the earth and fire portals are inert--is this the intended behavior?)

DG

I think originally they all were supposed to create elementals. Perhaps it was considered too difficult? I don't remember why it was changed.
Just realized I forgot this exchange. It's not an actionable item, but more info is always good.
Works for me? It doesn't look like I change anything related, but I certainly don't know if I've fixed something or done something somewhere else that changes the behavior here.

They spawn about a dozen times then stop.

Guest Evilyn guestating

Yeah, well... more parroting is good, so: I always hang around each portal to slay that elemental dozen and despite having suffered through a variety of immensely buggy iterations of the game, I've never encountered an infinitely-spawning Underdark portal.

So does this mean that CamDawg has an even buggier game than me, with only the air portal working? ("the earth and fire portals are inert")

No, I think I found out what was going on--whenever I visit the Underdark, I usually make a beeline for Carlig and his freedom scrolls. Freeing Vithal stops the elemental gates. So, I would see endless air elementals but none of the other two since the air gate is before Carlig, and the other two are not. So yeah, there's actually nothing to fix with the gates.

Archived