Picking locks and disarming traps

OTG

I'm trying to create an item for a kit which will allow the (non-thief class) user to pick locks and remove traps via item buttons. I don't really want to use variations of the arcane spell Knock and the divine spell Find Traps, as I want the kit to increase chance of success as the character levels up. Creating a spell to increase the Find / Remove Traps and Open Locks values was easy enough, so they increase (albeit in a linear fashion... for now) as the character levels up. However, I can't find the thief remove traps and unlock doors abilities to try to rework them for my new kit.

Looking at the wizard spell Knock (SPWI207.spl), specifically at the Effect, is Probability 1 the chance of success? Is this measured against some variable in the lock being disarmed? (My parties usually have thieves in them, so I've never actually had an arcane spellcaster cast Knock)

Finally, is there a way to set a spell (eg the custom Knock) so it doesn't trigger the Cowelled Wizards if you've not paid the bribe?

I can't find the thief remove traps and unlock doors abilities to try to rework them for my new kit.

Only thieves get these buttons; like most of the GUI, it's hardcoded. You can have your characters take scripted actions to mess with traps and locks, though.

Looking at the wizard spell Knock (SPWI207.spl), specifically at the Effect, is Probability 1 the chance of success? Is this measured against some variable in the lock being disarmed? (My parties usually have thieves in them, so I've never actually had an arcane spellcaster cast Knock)

Probability 1 is, for every effect, the minimum probability for that effect to take place at all. Almost every effect has 0x64 = 100 here, meaning the effect happens always.

Finally, is there a way to set a spell (eg the custom Knock) so it doesn't trigger the Cowelled Wizards if you've not paid the bribe?

Sure :) Set the spell type (it's a short at 0x1c) from 1=wizard to a different number. If you're making kit abilities, you probably want 4 (which equals innate) in this field anyway.

I believe Knock always works, as long as the lock can be picked, regardless of the two parameters. You can, however, make it fail occasionally by using the high and low probability fields.
Actually, I think it always works (for containers, at least). If you do it a couple times, you get this hard-coded "I guess it wasn't really locked after all" string and the lock opens. :(

Archived