Several issues

GhostNWN

I was wondering.....are the random freezes of the game play caused by other bugs like dialog and stat problems or is it bad written code. It happens most when I get into battles or a lot of things are happening. Is this a common prob with everyone else too? Just curious.

Symptom of many different actions and scripts being processed by the game engine at the same time. Sometimes this is because the scripts are *well* written code, from the standpoint of actually trying to get the most out of the engine, sometimes by code that hangs up looking for stuff that is missing/misspelled, etc. (Some folks consider "minimalism" well written code and others feel that "maximalism" or intense reconstruction of the AI is best... it is all one big balancing act between what you *can* do, what you *should* do, and what the player is willing to put up with in terms of delay :) ).

Case in point: SCS does wicked cool things with the AI. Processing all of that often results in a slight delay before the creatures you see respond. Many players will put up with this hesitation, (I welcome it!!!!) because they know that when the AI kicks in, it kicks @ss. Usually <CHARNAME>'s.

Well I was playing BGII a few minutes ago and found out that larloch's minor drain causes a freeze. I installed the 2nd fix pack on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and a few miscellaneous fixes. Is there a cure on this or in the next next fix pack? Thanks.

Do you have ToB installed, or do you only have SoA? Have you downloaded and installed the latest game update?

Make sure you have 3D support *disabled* (launch BGConfig and make sure that the "Use 3D Acceleration" option in the Basic pane is not checked).

Now that I think of it, I do remember Avenger saying something about the physical speed opcode not being cumulative - if not, that would be something to look at for a fix (rebuild spcl143). It's basically meaningless once multiple apr can be had, but there's the BGT kensai who might need pampering.

// world's smallest violin playing for kensai.

/edit

Yep, not cumulative, automatically overwrites. I'll see if there's ill effect from

COPY_EXISTING ~spcl143.spl~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE = 0xca) THEN BEGIN
READ_LONG  0x64 "ho"
READ_LONG  0x6a "eo"
READ_ASCII "ho" ~h1~ (0x28)
READ_ASCII "eo" ~fx~ (0x30)
FOR (READ_SHORT 0x68 "hc"; "hc" < 0xd; "hc" += 0x1) BEGIN
  INSERT_BYTES ("ho" + ("hc" * 0x28) + 0x00) 0x28
  WRITE_ASCIIE ("ho" + ("hc" * 0x28) + 0x00) ~%h1%~
  WRITE_SHORT  ("ho" + ("hc" * 0x28) + 0x10) ("hc" * 0x4)
  WRITE_SHORT  ("ho" + ("hc" * 0x28) + 0x20) "hc"
  INSERT_BYTES ("eo" + ("hc" * 0x58) + 0x00) 0x30
  WRITE_ASCIIE ("eo" + ("hc" * 0x58) + 0x00) ~%fx%~
  WRITE_LONG   ("eo" + ("hc" * 0x58) + 0x04) ("hc" + 0x1)
END
WRITE_SHORT 0x68 "hc"
WRITE_LONG  0x6a ("eo" + (0x28 * ("hc" - 0x1)))
 END
BUT_ONLY

Archived