Totemic

Changing NPC classes while in your party

I'm using EasyTutu, and added the BG1 NPC Project--which, by the way, is a fantastic addition to a product that seemed in some ways very bland when I first played it, upon release.

I added Ajantis to my party as a 1st level cavalier, and then rethought matters, later. I'd like to change his class. The Project lets me change that to an inquisitor, paladin, or undead hunter, and tracks that change as having occurred, if I run it yet again. But in the game, he's still a cavalier. I've tried dropping him from the party and then running the Project, but when Ajantis is added back in, his profession still shows as a cavalier. Am I stuck with this cavalier attitiude of his, forever?

If you are using the Easy Tutu NPC Kit Selector, which I heartily recommend, it will only change the kit of an NPC you have not yet met. After you meet that NPC, the kit, as well as the rest of the NPC info, is stored in the savedgame file.

If you wish to change his kit after he is already in the party, you can do so with Shadowkeeper or NI.

If you want to change his attitude, I'm afraid you're out of luck. He's written the way he's written, and if that doesn't appeal to you, there isn't much changing his kit will do to help.

You might be able to do it with the new Level 1 NPCs code. Though if it works at all in this manner, it may be you'd have to dismiss him from your party somewhere, then run it and change his class, then recruit him again. Because I kind of doubt it would operate on saved games but who knows, maybe Nythrun could add that feature if there's demand for it.

Sorry, Miloch, but that won't help. Even if you go and dismiss the NPC, rerun the installation and select a new option for the NPC, the info is still stored in the savedgame, and when they rejoin, they'll have the same class they did before. Even if you CTRL-Y them, respawn them using the console, and then let them rejoin, they are still going to be the class you didn't want.

If you are using the Easy Tutu NPC Kit Selector, which I heartily recommend, it will only change the kit of an NPC you have not yet met. After you meet that NPC, the kit, as well as the rest of the NPC info, is stored in the savedgame file.

If you wish to change his kit after he is already in the party, you can do so with Shadowkeeper or NI.

I'm probably just not versed enough in Shadowkeeper. I was able to shift Ajantis into an Undead Slayer easily enough, but couldn't find any way to reproduce the +3 bonus to attacks and damage on the undead, or to add new abilities (like immunity to drain) and remove current cavalier abilities. The same goes with any other class switch; for example, to Inquisitor. Bah.

If you want to change his attitude, I'm afraid you're out of luck. He's written the way he's written, and if that doesn't appeal to you, there isn't much changing his kit will do to help.

By "cavalier attitude" I was punning on his class. My bad. :) I have nothing but praise for the way Ajantis and the rest of the potential party NPCs have been written in the Project, just as I wrote, above. I wouldn't change a word.

Well, aside from Ajantis' references to dreams that haven't occurred, yet. But as that happened before I'd read the forum, I'm afraid it's too late to get that save and send it on.

In any case, an excellent job.

Edited by Totemic

Get yourself a copy of the EasyTutu hotfixes at PPG. I think there are going to be a few items of interest, like fixing kit.ids so it isn't broken anymore.

Get yourself a copy of the EasyTutu hotfixes at PPG. I think there are going to be a few items of interest, like fixing kit.ids so it isn't broken anymore.

I've already got that in place, installed directly after loading EasyTutu. Or are you suggesting that I run it again, then run Project?

This was the version he released yesterday, right?

Er, no. I did the install around Tuesday. Hmmm....

Am I confusing these hotfixes with the BG1 Tutu Fixpack v 17? Because I don't see a separate EasyTutu hotfix pack, anywhere.

EDIT: I see what I missed. Hotfixes aren't listed separately, from any BG1 Tutu page of mods, but only under a one forum topic--and not a sticky thread, either.

Installed, but it only put two files in place. I re-ran the Project and gave both Ajantis and Minsc (who are in my party; upon reflection, I decided to try to make Ajantis an inquisitor, Minsc, an archer) new classes. Re-entered the game, but they still have their old classes. I then tried running the hotfixes executable without rerunning Project afterwards, entered the game--no change. Am I doing something wrong, here?

Edited by Totemic

I decided to do the best I could using Shadowkeeper. Changing Minsc to an archer was easy enough, and I managed to give Ajantis the inquisitor kit without a problem. Can't find anyway to remove his Turn Undead ability, however. But that appears to be the only unresolved difficulty.

You'd be wanting to apply spcl235.spl to your character, though I don't know how one does that with Shadowkeeper, sorry :)

You'd be wanting to apply spcl235.spl to your character, though I don't know how one does that with Shadowkeeper, sorry :)

Thanks anyway. You know more than I do. :)

Got it solved, thanks to a friend who has used Shadowkeeper extensively. Just for future reference: he recommended changing the kit, and zeroing out the character's experience, proficiencies, spells, resistances, etc, as though it were newly made. This worked. Ajantis basically started life again without Turn Undead. I then exited and reedited the game, giving him back all his experience. The new edit, once loaded, allowed me to reassign him all his proficiencies, while giving him back everything else he'd lost.

Glad it worked. It's hard to explain how to do this, as I've never had much luck with it myself.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.