Spells saving trows

Demivrgvs

I don't know if this is the right place but it's something i've always thought and strangely it seems that this discussion never took place anywhere.

Don't you think saving trow should be appropriate to the lvl of the spell as per 3.5 ed? (E.g A chain lighting should have a save vs. spell with a better penalty bonus than a fireball, being a lvl 6 spell instead of a lvl 3) This will probably be a huge change in term of balance and i really want to know your opinion.

It's a nice idea, and one of the better things I thought was in 3rd edition, but I think things are reasonably well balanced as they are. Especially given that 2nd Edition characters only get a few bonus hit points beyond 9th level, so they don't have the vast stores of HP that 3E characters get.

Part of the balancing factor for each spell is the amount of damage it is capable of doing, and higher level spells do rip out significantly more damage (though not in all cases). Other spells (like Cloudkill) are further modified by having more dangerous effects on lower level characters and creatures. Abi-Dazim's Horrid Wilting has been the death of some of my high level parties on more than one occasion when they would have shrugged off a fireball.

Horrid Wilting could be toned down as per 3.5 from 20d8 to 20d6 but with a penalty to saving trows someone at least have a chance to fail them! By the time you can cast lvl 9 spells the save-or-else spells are useless...even a powerfull spell like Wail of the Banshee won't kill a single enemy worth a 9 lvl spell!

Anyway starting from the good A&D mod i've revised most of the spells by now and i'm playing to see if they're balanced and now that i've pratically finished i'm pondering if i can make something like this: lvl 1 spells with no bonus (or +1, +2 bonus for the enemy like entangle and grease had) and then -1 penalty for every spell lvl but never beyond -6 (which for example was given by a lvl 1 spell like Spook!!) because i think further penalty could destroy the balance against mid-level enemies...what do you think?

Guest Guest_who_is_daniel_*
Horrid Wilting could be toned down as per 3.5 from 20d8 to 20d6 but with a penalty to saving trows someone at least have a chance to fail them! By the time you can cast lvl 9 spells the save-or-else spells are useless...even a powerfull spell like Wail of the Banshee won't kill a single enemy worth a 9 lvl spell!

Anyway starting from the good A&D mod i've revised most of the spells by now and i'm playing to see if they're balanced and now that i've pratically finished i'm pondering if i can make something like this: lvl 1 spells with no bonus (or +1, +2 bonus for the enemy like entangle and grease had) and then -1 penalty for every spell lvl but never beyond -6 (which for example was given by a lvl 1 spell like Spook!!) because i think further penalty could destroy the balance against mid-level enemies...what do you think?

Sounsd great to me!

Archived