CTD bug at rest

Strontium Dog

Hello,

I've had a recurring problem with playing BG2, in that I get a regular crash-to-desktop bug occurring every single time, a couple of days or so after reaching chapter 3. No matter where I rest, I tend to get the bug(the bug usually occurs also within a couple of days of chapter 2, if sleeping in the open, but sleeping in an inn works out fine. This CTD bug has happened several times before, and has only on one or two occasions been resolved when I got rid of the Shar-Teel romance add-on within the BG1 NPC project - usually, even removing that component doesn't work. I'm fairly sure, therefore, that it's BG1 NPC-related. Just in case, I'll download everything all over again, as some of my donwloads may be too old, but I don't think that's the problem.

I actually had it too. Happened while clearing the kobold mines and my Edwin got himself killed by a kobold arrow again (SCS can be terrible thing sometimes ;) ). When I tried to rest in the caves, game crashed. After some research, it was happening everywhere if I used Rest button while Edwin was dead but in party. It stopped happening if I: a) kicked his dead body out of party; b) changed his scriptname with NI from "Edwin" to smth else; c) raised him from the dead.

Unfortunately, this may indeed be BG1NPC thing, because after I raised him and tried to rest, he started BG1NPC dialog (sorry, don't remember exactly what it was now).

Strontium Dog, are you playing Tutu or BGT, and which version of BG1NPC are you using?

I actually had it too. Happened while clearing the kobold mines and my Edwin got himself killed by a kobold arrow again (SCS can be terrible thing sometimes ;) ). When I tried to rest in the caves, game crashed. After some research, it was happening everywhere if I used Rest button while Edwin was dead but in party. It stopped happening if I: a) kicked his dead body out of party; b) changed his scriptname with NI from "Edwin" to smth else; c) raised him from the dead.

Unfortunately, this may indeed be BG1NPC thing, because after I raised him and tried to rest, he started BG1NPC dialog (sorry, don't remember exactly what it was now).

Strontium Dog, are you playing Tutu or BGT, and which version of BG1NPC are you using?

Sorry, I meant to say that I was playing BG1Tutu, of course! I'm currently using the NPC 12 beta 3 version. But the same bug happened before with the version 11 update as well. I think(?) that the problem is that some NPC dialogue may be blocking the regular dream one gets, one to 3 days after each chapter when one gets the next ability. Alternatively, it could be simply because I already had the original 6 abilities at the start of the game, and that the extra addition causes a CTD. I'd thought I'd read somewhere that getting the original 6 abilities at the start of the game was an irrelevant bug not interfering with anything, but I guess that view may be wrong. I'll have to keep experimenting.

This may be caused by the update of the code to use the InPaty/InMyArea/!StateCheckCD_S_NV without me actually updating the BCS calls to reflect the same. My bet is that you are indeed having troubles with the Dream/Rest scripts trying to fire (though why that would cash a game rather than just have a "no valid replies or links" is beyond me...)

The good news is that berelinde is working her way through Phase1, I have Phase2, and Kulyok is looking at the romances and doing some updating, so we are fixing it :)

Archived