Props to the BG1 NPC team!

Manytaur

I don't think there are many threads of this nature out there. Who knows, this may even be the first of its kind. Anyway, I simply wanted to give credit where credit is due. You guys have done an excellent job with this mod! It's stable, very well written, captivating, and it adds a whole new dimension to the original game, one that I only now realized was sorely missing. I remember playing through BG for the first time when I was 14, thinking to myself "why does it say that my teammates have nothing to say to me when I try and talk to them?". What you've done with this mod makes it seem like a very intuitive and natural part of the game.. kind of like it should have never been missing to begin with.

The writing is superb to say the least. In fact, if I had to say which lines of dialogue are better, those in the plain game or those in the mod, I think I'd have to side with the mod. You've managed to elaborate further on the characters in a way that breathes new life into them, yet staying true to the way they were presented in the unmodded game. Also, the romances were very well done. At least the one I'm trying, the one with Dynaheir, works like a charm. It's like a mini game within the game itself, with its own rewards and risks. Great stuff.

So yeah, big props to all of the good people involved in the making of the mod. :)

I also want to say "Thank you!" to the BG1 NPC team.

When I first played through BG1, I was amazed by the level of detail and the complexity in the game. I loved it. By my third runthrough, however, things got a little predictable and I started to lose interest. Then I found out about tutu and all the mods that you hard-working people have created (for free, no less!).

These mods are amazing. Truly.

My main character got involved in a romance with Branwen and when it "ended," I was actually bummed! Talk about making a NPC interesting! :) Heck, I think I had more fun wandering around the map with her than fighting Aec'Letec (not suprising given the number of times he kicked my ****...)

Keep up the great work!

(My only suggestion for future updates is to add even more dialog for the NPCs -- for those of us who like to explore every last inch of the map. :D )

Heck, I think I had more fun wandering around the map with her than fighting Aec'Letec (not suprising given the number of times he kicked my ****...)

Yes, I remember, one time we exited the building after actually killing the bastard, Jaheira said her "We did it! PC, I believed in you!" lines and immediately died--she was infected. We had to slay the ghoul, and Khalid cried "Jaheira... no!", and Branwen said... was it "'Tis a shame to lose such an accomplished warrior?" Anyway, it seems the most powerful BG1 NPC scenes are the scenes produced by the game itself.

And glad you liked the mod--and Branwen's romance! :) (She keeps thinking of your PC even now, though, perhaps he may be comforted by that).

Yes, I remember, one time we exited the building after actually killing the bastard, Jaheira said her "We did it! PC, I believed in you!" lines and immediately died--she was infected. We had to slay the ghoul, and Khalid cried "Jaheira... no!", and Branwen said... was it "'Tis a shame to lose such an accomplished warrior?" Anyway, it seems the most powerful BG1 NPC scenes are the scenes produced by the game itself.

That's awesome. :D In my games, I'm usually the one who ends up turning into a ghoul... ;) Stupid friggin Aec'Letec... @#$!?*&!

And glad you liked the mod--and Branwen's romance! :) (She keeps thinking of your PC even now, though, perhaps he may be comforted by that).

That helps. ;)

I really like what you did with Branwen. And you know, the funny thing is, when I first installed BG1NPC, I didn't think about the romance component. Having not played BG2 yet, I was thinking "Romance? Why the heck would I want romance? I just want to see what Tiax has to say to Quayle in my next party!"

So I'm playing along and I pick up Branwen just because I needed a cleric. Then the romance dialog stuff started up. Caught me totally off guard and I was wondering "Is she coming on to me? What the heck is going on here?!?" It was awesome. (And I do like the way it ends, by the way. Very character appropriate!!)

I'm about to do another runthrough and I was wondering: what happens if I set the timer for the romances to 1:30 hours? Does that mean 1:30 hours of real time has to pass before each "romance" exchange? Or does 1:30 hours have to before the dialog starts, and then each exchange happens pretty quickly after that? This isn't clear from the README.

(I like to explore alot and don't want to run out of dialog too early in the game...)

Thanks!

Basically, the timer counts the time you actively playing the game, ie it's not paused. So, the dialogues will fire every 90 minutes of that OR if the dialogue has sepcial conditions on it, after 90 minutes passed AND the condition was met (ie sleeping outdoors). Hope that helps :)

While I'm always singing all of your praises over at CoM, I don't think I've ever posted hear to say what a truly wonderful mod this really is.

It makes what was once, for me, an unplayable game, truly wonderful, breathing life into characters I would previously never give the time of day (Eldoth, Faldorn, Garrick, Shar-Teel, Tiax).

Thank you to everyone involved. :)

Howdy all, new person popping in to comment on this wonderful mod! Rather than start a new topic, I thought I would bump this one since it's still on the first page at least ;)

I just wanted to say that I'm nearing the end of my first ever run with Tutu and the BG1NPC mods and I've loved every minute of it. The various NPC banters, interjections, and PIDs have made a dramatic improvement to the game (for me at least) and now I can't imagine playing BG1 without them. While I've only just scratched the surface with trying out Xan, Kivan, Ajantis and Imoen on my first run, I'm definitely planning to do it again to try out those NPCs that I used to just ignore. Especially the evil ones. I have a bad habit of not touching evil NPCs with a 10ft. pole, but I'm determined to give some of them a shot this time around :)

Random comments for the few NPCs I've used so far:

Ajantis - Personality! He's pretty much what I would've expected for a paladin of Helm, but his comments and character were a welcome addition to my group. Not tried the complete romance yet, but I did enjoy what few banters I saw ;)

Xan - I love this guy! He, along with Branwen and Kivan, was one of the NPCs that I'd never really tried before but had always been interested in. So far I've only had him along as a companion, but I'm itching to try out his romance soon. Who knows, he may become a new must-have for future BG runs now. Oh, and I got a great laugh out of his comment on the "toddler PC running around Candlekeep naked" story that you can hear in Chapter 6 :)

Kivan - Thanks to this mod, I'm now a Kivan fan. He was another that I was always curious about but never really tried - I'm glad I picked him up for my current game, as I've really enjoyed his story and his banters. It's also nice that even if you can't romance a particular NPC (at least not in BG1, heh), you can still form a strong friendship with them.

Imoen - Holy cow, Imoen sure does like to talk in the beginning! It took some getting used to having a cheerful, talkative Imoen since in the vanilla game she hardly says anything and in BG2 she has issues to deal with, but I really enjoyed the effect. I've always liked Imoen anyway, and this mod really did make her feel like a close friend/little sister :D Oh, and that was an interesting jellybean banter she had with Xzar during the short time he and Montaron were in my party, hehe.

So, a definite kudos for everyone that had a hand in creating this awesome mod! I'm looking forward to learning new things about old familiar NPCs and learning more about NPCs that I never tried in the vanilla game :(

Oh, and that was an interesting jellybean banter she had with Xzar during the short time he and Montaron were in my party, hehe.

Yes! One of my favorites. I loved it so much I asked Hendrick to write a sequel - and it's as wonderful as the first one. ;)

Guest lost child

I can only agree to everything said before.

The mod makes BG a completely new experience. Before, I never really liked it, only played it once to know the whole story and then only played BG2 numerous times. Now, I'm in chapter 4, constantly talking, flirting and looking forward to every comment and banter. I'm already planning my next several runs with all the other NPCs I haven't played with so far.

Thank you so much for this wonderful mod and for the fast help you're providing here as well.

Archived