How to ensure your banters always run when you want them to.

Thanks! It is good to know. I suspected it was fast, too.

I guess I'd still add an InParty/See or something, just in case of a *veeeery* malevolent player. But for now I'm off to sleep, and I'll be eager to read the consensus(and to edit the first post) in the morning. :)

I'd think so, though I usually break it into two anyway.

The biggest thing that causes these misfires is the player issuing movement commands. Since the player doesn't issue movement commands to non-joinables, their script isn't likely to be interrupted.

Just to say it: I leave the script blocks in the dream script alone. They fire when the player hits rest, so the script won't be interrupted by movement anyway.

Just to say it: I leave the script blocks in the dream script alone. They fire when the player hits rest, so the script won't be interrupted by movement anyway.
That's an important hint in connection to this tutorial.

For non-joinable characters, that's what I thought. Thank you!

Kulyok, the idea behind this tutorial is really great. Thank you for writing it! Ajantis will be coded that way and Drizzt.

So... do you think we've solved the problem, now that the second block runs immediately no matter what?
What was the last word on this? In my trigger blocks I repeat conditions, like See(Player1) !StateCheck() etc. just to prevent the rare occasion where this might be of importance, and I see BG1NPC is coded that way, too.

So, was it no conditions or including See etc. checks?

The last word for me is RE and Xan, I guess. :)

Here:

// Break-up talk
IF
Global("O#XanRT15","GLOBAL",0)
OR(2)
GlobalGT("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",54)
GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
InParty(Myself)
Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1) 
See(Player1)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) 
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("O#XanRT15","GLOBAL",1)
END

IF
Global("O#XanRT15","GLOBAL",1)
InParty(Myself)
See(Player1) // not needed if StartDialogueNoSet
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) 
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("O#XAN")
Interact(Player1)
END

If you're using J file and StartDialogueNoSet, you don't really need a See() check in the second block, since SDNS is more forgiving - even if characters are in different areas, a banter will trigger without en error; however, if you prefer to avoid that for the sake of realism, See() or Range() or InMyArea() would still be preferable.

You mean Interact(), right?

It doesn't much matter, except that if you're going to use the B file instead of the J file, state weighting becomes very important.

State weighting is still important in the J file as well, but all you've got to do is get scripted dialogue ahead of the PID with WEIGHT #-1.

I should probably know this by now but i haven't found the answer.

IF

InParty(Myself)

See(Player1)

Global("MyBanter","GLOBAL",1)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

Interact(Player1) // calls forth a banter from BMyNPC.d

END

where do you tell the game what file to look for? my banter file is JK#NanyJ. should it find it automatically? or where do i put in the directory?

Full treatment:

Dialog Files and How They Are Referenced tutorial

It leads you through the information step by step.

Shortcut:

Your banters are not in JK#NanyJ, they will be in JK#NanyB or JK#BNany or something like that - j = joined, b = banter, p = (post) after-joined-and-dropped, no designation = non-joinable.

Adding the references to pdialog.2da tells te game where to look automatically.

The game can tell which file to look at by the call used in the script; Interact() calls b-file, Dialog() (and all related calls) calls the j-file.

But the tutorial steps you through all of this, provides samples, and provides a list of (almost all) existing NPC file names in released mods.

Archived